Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sjust

Converting A Recipe To Gluten Free

I want to convert a peaunt butter cookie recipe to gluten free. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup all purpose flour. Does anyone know what I would use instead? Also is there a general rule or does it depend on what I am making. I am new to this gluten thing and still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the help.

Sarah

Sarah 29 gluten-free for daughter since March 2007

Rebecca 12/21/06 apppears to be sensitive to all foods FFT

Robbie 1/12/07 cashew allergy, doing better off gluten

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi - If it were me I would use 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour instead. Bob's Red Mill is one option that will likely work. Generally, when I bake (b/c I'm not a real expert at baking) I just substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour for all-purpose regular flour at a ratio of 1:1. In cakes and some breads I add 1 tsp. xanthan gum as well.

There are millions of different gluten-free flours that do millions of different things, but I just keep it simple.

PB cookies are good flourless too:

1 cup pb

1 cup sugar

1 egg

mix together and bake at (350 maybe?) for about 10 mins or until done. Makes 6 cookies.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Thanks for the advice. I tried the flourless ones but the were too dry for my husband who is having a hard time with the gluten free thing.

Sarah 29 gluten-free for daughter since March 2007

Rebecca 12/21/06 apppears to be sensitive to all foods FFT

Robbie 1/12/07 cashew allergy, doing better off gluten

Here is a great way to convert recipes in general: 3 parts white rice flour, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca flour/starch. *Unless otherwise noted add 1 tsp xanthan gum per 1.5 cups flour mixture. This has worked for every recipe that I have tried so far. Good luck!

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I use the flour mix that JennyC uses. It, in my opinion, is the best all purpose gluten free flour mix out there. I've used it in hundreds of regular recipes and had it come out perfectly. I usually can't even tell the difference, neither can my non-Celiac husband.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I use brown rice flour instead of white rice flour in similar proportions to JennyC and Guhlia and always have good results. I have even given some to my mom and my sister-in-law and they've baked cookies and cakes and brownies with their regular recipes and have had no problems.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

most of our baking is done using "regular" recipes and converting to gluten free. we probably use betty hagman's featherlight mix the most. we add somewhere near 1 tsp. of xanthan gum per cup of flour.

3 cups rice flour

3 cups tapioca flour

3 cups cornstarch

3 tablesponns potato flour (not starch)

we do alot of baking and most of it turns out really well.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Thanks for the advice. I tried the flourless ones but the were too dry for my husband who is having a hard time with the gluten free thing.

Try 2 eggs w/ the 1cup of PB and 1 cup of Sugar. That is how I do it, and they taste great. They are very moist, too. You just have to put enough eggs in there. I also add a handful of mini chocolate chips in mine, and my kids gobble them up.

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.