This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hershey Med Ctr Or Dr. Rampertab

NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I'm unhappy with the three GIs I've seen in small town PA, and I was wondering if anyone has seen one of the GIs at Hershey medical center? As a PSU grad student, I'm eligible to go there for treatment, and I noticed on the website that Dr. Rampertab lists celiac and ulcerative colitis as her clinical interests. I'd love to hear if you have any feedback, good, bad, or indifferent. Thanks so much!

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I haven't heard anything about this doctor. I just wanted to bump this back up to the top because I know we have someone on this board that works at Hershey Med (I think that's where she works). Hopefully she'll be able to help.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I haven't heard anything about this doctor. I just wanted to bump this back up to the top because I know we have someone on this board that works at Hershey Med (I think that's where she works). Hopefully she'll be able to help.

I'm sure Amanda will know something, she works there. I'd also be interested in knowing. I haven't seen a GI and I might concider going if it's not a waste.

stephanie19 Newbie

Hi Nicole,

I don't know anything about that dr., but I wanted to reply b/c I'm going to be starting my master's at PSU in August. If you end up seeing her, let us know what you think of her.

Also, if you have any tips about being gluten-free in State College (restaurants, etc.), I'd love any advice. (I'm not only going to be new to the area--I'm from So. Calif.--but I'm also new to being gluten-free, as I just got my Enterolab results.)

Stephanie

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Nicole,

I work at Hershey Med, at the Penn State Cancer Institute. I will ask around some of my nurses tomorrow. I actually was diagnosed through my family doctor who is also at the medical center. She knows alot about celiac. Are you heading down the med center at all?

If you have any questions feel free to pm me, I can give you parking tips and good directions. We are doing lots of construction right now so its a bit confusing.

Amanda

Hi Nicole,

I don't know anything about that dr., but I wanted to reply b/c I'm going to be starting my master's at PSU in August. If you end up seeing her, let us know what you think of her.

Also, if you have any tips about being gluten-free in State College (restaurants, etc.), I'd love any advice. (I'm not only going to be new to the area--I'm from So. Calif.--but I'm also new to being gluten-free, as I just got my Enterolab results.)

Stephanie

Step-

State College has a Wegmans. Its a grocery store, very knowledgeable with Celiac. Check them out. www.wegmans.com

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Amanda,

Thanks for checking around on this doctor and for offering to volunteer directions advice--I'll definitely need that come September when I go to see the doctor.

Stephanie,

I just posted info on State College in the travel forum yesterday. Here's the link: Open Original Shared Link

What part of California do you live in? I'm going to be moving to San Luis Obispo next year because my fiance got a job as a professor at Cal Poly, but I will be spending a lot of time in the LA and San Diego areas if you have any suggestions. If you have any questions about State College, just PM me. I'm happy to talk about food issues or about the area in general.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lauren M Explorer

Been there, done that, now seeing Dr. Fasano :P

I was actually diagnosed and had my biopsy at Hershey Med. Ctr. Admittedly, my GI doc (who was not the one who did the biopsy) did not know much about Celiac. I was handed an antiquated paper that had "safe" foods (gluten-free foods) and "not safe" foods (supposedly non-gluten-free foods, but the list was really old and ultra conservative). I don't recognize the name of the doctor you mention, but then again, I was diagnosed 3+ yrs ago.

Things may have changed, but I wouldn't recommend Hershey for Celiacs. I had my records transferred to Dr. Fasano, and have been seeing him as my doctor ever since. It's worth a little bit of a longer drive to me.

- Lauren

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Been there, done that, now seeing Dr. Fasano :P

I was actually diagnosed and had my biopsy at Hershey Med. Ctr. Admittedly, my GI doc (who was not the one who did the biopsy) did not know much about Celiac. I was handed an antiquated paper that had "safe" foods (gluten-free foods) and "not safe" foods (supposedly non-gluten-free foods, but the list was really old and ultra conservative). I don't recognize the name of the doctor you mention, but then again, I was diagnosed 3+ yrs ago.

Things may have changed, but I wouldn't recommend Hershey for Celiacs. I had my records transferred to Dr. Fasano, and have been seeing him as my doctor ever since. It's worth a little bit of a longer drive to me.

- Lauren

I have been thinking about seeing Dr, Fasano myself, but am worried as I have heard bad things about him. Mostly I heard he is short, expensive, and only looking for test subjects. I am under the impression that insurances don't cover him.

Tell me if any of that is true.

Lauren M Explorer
I have been thinking about seeing Dr, Fasano myself, but am worried as I have heard bad things about him. Mostly I heard he is short, expensive, and only looking for test subjects. I am under the impression that insurances don't cover him.

Tell me if any of that is true.

Oh wow, I've never heard any of that.

Honestly, I credit Dr. F. with saving my life. His staff - Pam King (the center's director), Pam Cureton (the nutrionist), and Maggie, are BEYOND fantastic. He's never asked me to be a test subject for anything! I think Dr. F. is refreshing b/c he's a doctor who actually has a personality - each year he does the Celiac Walk/Run in Baltimore with his wife and son, and he always is laughing, joking around, and is so appreciative of everyone's support of his studies.

I am surprised that other people have had a less than satisfactory experience at the center for celiac in B-more. To each his own, I guess?

- Lauren

I work at Hershey, but actually have never seen a GI doc, my family dr knew about celiac. She explained it to me and said this is a very common condition and it goes undiagnosed. She also many doctors pin IBS on a person without even checking into anything else. I did have a celiac panel drawn and it was positive and started the diet and never looked back.

I can say the Oncology dr's here and the dr's in Reproductive Endo are great, I work with the Cancer dr's and I have been a patient in the other department.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Oh wow, I've never heard any of that.

Honestly, I credit Dr. F. with saving my life. His staff - Pam King (the center's director), Pam Cureton (the nutrionist), and Maggie, are BEYOND fantastic. He's never asked me to be a test subject for anything! I think Dr. F. is refreshing b/c he's a doctor who actually has a personality - each year he does the Celiac Walk/Run in Baltimore with his wife and son, and he always is laughing, joking around, and is so appreciative of everyone's support of his studies.

I am surprised that other people have had a less than satisfactory experience at the center for celiac in B-more. To each his own, I guess?

- Lauren

Did your insurance cover the visit?

I was daignosed by bloodwook by my GP, I had to suggest it to her, she is familar with celiac, but I she perfers to pass it off to a GI. I told her to test me, she did. She wanted me to go see a GI, but I'm scared and she told me to begin the diet and I can see a GI at a later time. I am thinking about going to a GI as I'm not seeing results from just gluten-free, I have removed Casiens and other things, still not seeing worthwhile improvements.

Lauren M Explorer
Did your insurance cover the visit?

I was daignosed by bloodwook by my GP, I had to suggest it to her, she is familar with celiac, but I she perfers to pass it off to a GI. I told her to test me, she did. She wanted me to go see a GI, but I'm scared and she told me to begin the diet and I can see a GI at a later time. I am thinking about going to a GI as I'm not seeing results from just gluten-free, I have removed Casiens and other things, still not seeing worthwhile improvements.

Yes, insurance covered with copay.

I'm telling you now, I think that if you are not seeing worthwhile improvements since going gluten-free, Dr. F. MAY want you to go back on gluten and be retested/biopsied. You wouldn't know for sure unless you went to see him, but knowing him, that would be my guess.

- Lauren

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've actually scheduled my appointment with Dr. Rampertab on Sept 11th, so I'll let you know what I think.

Lauren M--I'm sorry your experience was so bad at Hershey and hope that mine isn't equally disappointing.

Dr. Fasano sounds great, but as a grad student, my insurance only covers doctors in the Penn State system, and it seems like Hershey is as good as it gets. Until I get a job as a professor, I'll have to do the best I can within the Penn State system.

Archived