Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Babygirl6915

Shellfish Allergy

I am wondering if anyone else has this or knows about this. I ask b/c since no Endo or Internalist will put me on thyroid meds my Chiro has ordered me some Thyroid supplements but they contain Iodine. Now, is this what is in shellfish that I am allergic to? Ir is it just the shellfish in general?

Also, for the people who have celiac or a wheat allergy, this supplement contains "Glutamic Acid 20 mg". This is a gluten correct? Am I going to get sick from this?

I am really hoping that I can take this because the Adrenal supplement he recommended from the same company is working out great & he has high hopes for the Thyroid supplement. Thanks for any help ya'll can provide!

Jessica

Negative for Celiac

Confirmed Wheat Allergy May 5, 2007

Gluten-Free since May 7, 2007!

Other allergies: Dust Mites, Bananas, Fish, Shellfish, Chocolate, Feathers, Penicillin, 3 kinds of grasses, 4 kinds of trees & shrubs, 3 kinds of mold, & Cockroaches!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Do you have an allergist that you go to for the shellfish allergy? If so, call them and ask about the iodine.

I do not know how the shellfish and iodine are related, but I would check before taking the meds.

My child has a shellfish allergy and the anesthiologist was very concerned about the shellfish allergy and the iodine. To the point that I think she would have used an alternative if the iodine was needed for the surgery. (It was not needed.) I think contact reactions and anaphylaxis to shellfish are the true concern, but I really do not know enough about the whole issue.

Let me know if you find the relationship!

Do you have an allergist that you go to for the shellfish allergy? If so, call them and ask about the iodine.

I do not know how the shellfish and iodine are related, but I would check before taking the meds.

My child has a shellfish allergy and the anesthiologist was very concerned about the shellfish allergy and the iodine. To the point that I think she would have used an alternative if the iodine was needed for the surgery. (It was not needed.) I think contact reactions and anaphylaxis to shellfish are the true concern, but I really do not know enough about the whole issue.

Let me know if you find the relationship!

I have an appt with my allergist on Tuesday but I was just wondering if anyone knew in the mean time since the supplements have to be ordered & take a while to get here. I will definitely let you know what she says!

Jessica

Negative for Celiac

Confirmed Wheat Allergy May 5, 2007

Gluten-Free since May 7, 2007!

Other allergies: Dust Mites, Bananas, Fish, Shellfish, Chocolate, Feathers, Penicillin, 3 kinds of grasses, 4 kinds of trees & shrubs, 3 kinds of mold, & Cockroaches!

I have an appt with my allergist on Tuesday but I was just wondering if anyone knew in the mean time since the supplements have to be ordered & take a while to get here. I will definitely let you know what she says!

Jessica-I sent you a PM regarding Doctor's in Garland. Please feel free to message me back if you have questions.

I have no clue on the relation between shellfish and iodine, sorry. I seem to have more intolerances rather than allergies, except for Mesquitos.

I am allergic to shellfish and was told by the allergist that it's the iodine in them that I'm allergic to. I can eat iodized salt, but I cannot eat shellfish or have iodine used on cuts. When I had my C-Section they just used plain alcohol instead. They also just use plain alcohol when I have bloodwork done.

As for glutamic acid, it's considered "safe" for celiacs. It's on the safe foods list on this website that we're on now...celiac.com. :)

Gluten Free since 5/28/07

Celiac Disease diagnosed by biopsy 5/25/07