Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackburnK

Modified Food Starch?

QUESTION

I have read that I shouldn't trust things that say Modified Food Starch? and then some are listed as modified food starch (no capital letters). Can anyone explain what I should avoid???

Thanks!

Krista

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

QUESTION

I have read that I shouldn't trust things that say Modified Food Starch? and then some are listed as modified food starch (no capital letters). Can anyone explain what I should avoid???

Thanks!

Krista

Modified Food Starch in the US is generally derived from corn.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Guest j_mommy

We had a HUGE discussion on this before but as Lisa said in the US it is usually derived from corn but call the company if you have questions! Companies are getting better about saying "modified food starch(corn)".....the label should say if there is wheat in it!

Because of the Food Labeling Law, food sold in the US must disclose any of the 8 main allergens. Wheat is one of them. So, modified food starch is safe from wheat unless is says "modified wheat starch" or "modified starch-wheat" etc. Generally, it is made from corn. I have not seen a mfs from rye, barley, or oats. If you have any questions, it is always best to call the company.

Here is a list of companies that we have been told will clearly list any gluten ingredients, and will not hide them (i.e., starches, flavorings, etc are safe unless noted)

Between the labeling law and this list, it is easier to shop with confidence.

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

Hope this helps. I've never heard anything at all about caps/not caps.

:ph34r:

In the US, most is made from corn. The corn based MFS is safe to consume.

If you have any questions or concerns or hesitations, call the manufacturer...

(Bronco slowly backs out of thread...carefully looking over his shoulder for suprise attackers).

(Bronco slowly backs out of thread...carefully looking over his shoulder for suprise attackers).

It's okay to come out Chris, the interlopers are gone. :D Or warned.

Lisa

It's okay to come out Chris, the interlopers are gone. :D

Lisa

when i saw the topic of this thread i figured it might be another one of "those" threads. i got a really good giggle out of your post, bronco!!!!

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

:D:):D

It is rare in the US for MFS to be made of anything other than corn, unfortunately for folks like me. It is as he stated important to call and ask if they do not say what it is derived from. I would like to see all additives labeled as to their source, I am sensitive to corn and I like the MFS to be from tapioca or potato. :) It costs the companies when they have to answer queries on an 800 line, the more we call for clarification the more likely companies are going to be to do more complete labeling.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Always call and ask when you doubt anything or simply do not buy the product. It the label does not specifically state the allergens in the product and I have any doubts, I put it back. It's not worth getting sick over, just because a company is lax in their info.

I too, believe these companies should state the nature of the MFS and any other questionable ingredients.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!