This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Blue Diamond Nut-thins Safe?

bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Contributor

They say on the package that they are a celiac disease foundation sponser, but on the side of the box it says that the Nut-Thins are produced in a facility athat also makes products with wheat, soy, pecans, and hazelnuts? So is it ok?

I am trying to narrown down what is giving me a tummy ache. I started these after I was gluten free for a few days. Thanks

Bakinghomesteader

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I love their crackers and eat them all the time. However, there are many people on this board that are extremely sensitive and have had problems with these crackers. If you think they are making you sick stop eating them and see if you feel better. Not exactly scientific but it works!

Hez

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I also eat them all the time and have no problems.

AndreaB Contributor

I've heard of people that react to them. I've never had them myself.

It a person by person thing. Take them out of your diet and see if you feel better.

JennyC Enthusiast

My son loves the cheese flavor!!! I'm not sure if he gets sick from them, as he gets bouts of occasional loose stools--not so much diarrhea. The way that I look at is that they are simply being honest when they disclose that they use a shared facility. Most mainstream food that many people consume is likely made in shared facilities, and these crackers are no different. It is a personal choice, but I allow my son to eat these crackers. (FYI Kettle chips are made in a nearly gluten-free facility--except that their cheddar beer flavor of chips that oddly enough does not even test positive for gluten. :blink: )

Karen B. Explorer

I tend to be very sensitive to cross contamination but I eat Almond Nut-Thins all the time and haven't had a problem. But in a pinch, I've used plain potato chips, tortilla chips or Fritos as a cracker. I've also pressed Chebe dough very thin in my tortilla press and made crackers.

Have you ever tried the tip I got from the Gluten Free Bible to sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese into metal cookie cutters on top of parchment paper and bake them to make a really cheesy cracker? I think I'm leaving out a step because I'm not at home where the book is but maybe someone else could fill in the gaps on this? It's been awhile since I made them.

tarnalberry Community Regular

they're made in shared facilities, on shared equipment, so it's your call. some people have no problem with them, some people feel they have reacted to them. there's no *definite* answer on this one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

par18 Apprentice

I have eaten them with no problems. When I first started this diet a couple of years ago I was so paranoid that if a label indicated something like shared lines I would not have even tried a lot of products. Since I have had no instances of glutening from anything I now just read the ingredient label and if no gluten is involved in the list then I will give most things a try. I decided I would not be obligated to the expensive items from the speciality food stores unless absolutely necessary. I have faith in most mainstream brands and each day more and more are disclosing exactly what is in their products. I don't think it would be in the best interest of any company to get a lot of complaints of cross contamination so for that reason I think most are pretty careful. I see the shared line statement on just about every mainsteam brand and it does not alarm me anymore. Basically I see it as just a CYA. I think this particular item tastes pretty good also.

Tom

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I also eat them reaction free and a lot of them, daily! Removing from your diet might help to at least narrow down what is causing your discomfort..I hope you start to feel better soon!

bakinghomesteader Contributor

well, I guess I should say, duh! :P I will take them out of my diet and see. There is also another thread on this board about the Lundburg Rice Chips--guess what, I was eating those too. Santa Fe BBQ ones. Maybe that's it.

Thank you all.

Bakinghomesteader

The Lovebug Rookie
I am trying to narrown down what is giving me a tummy ache. I started these after I was gluten free for a few days. Thanks

Bakinghomesteader

I have eaten the Nu-Thins without any trouble. But, interestingly, you say you have been gluten-free for only a short while. I can tell you that when I went gluten-free, I had a few bouts in the first couple of months which I couldn't explain. Maybe it's just your body adjusting to your new regimen. :rolleyes:

Archived