This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Did It. I Sent My Son On A School Trip For The Weekend

Karwei5

Karwei5 Apprentice

My son is 19 and has Down syndrome. He was just diagnosed in Jan.

This is the first trip I have had to send him on.

He is going to state Special Olympics.

I packed a bunch of food for breakfast lunch and snacks.

They are able to go to get take outs for him for supper.

So far I have figured out Culvers chicken cashew salad is ok.

I am still looking up some where else. He will be there Friday Sat and Sunday morning.

It is a lot different this year sending him with Celiac disease.

I am sure he will be fine but I an nervous. My stomach is in knots.

Karol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
My son is 19 and has Down syndrome. He was just diagnosed in Jan.

This is the first trip I have had to send him on.

He is going to state Special Olympics.

I packed a bunch of food for breakfast lunch and snacks.

They are able to go to get take outs for him for supper.

So far I have figured out Culvers chicken cashew salad is ok.

I am still looking up some where else. He will be there Friday Sat and Sunday morning.

It is a lot different this year sending him with Celiac disease.

I am sure he will be fine but I an nervous. My stomach is in knots.

Karol

Karol-

First congrats to your son on being able to go to State Special Olympics!! That is a great accomplishment. I am sure he is SUPER excited! What event does he do? I have a friend that participates and she does the softball throw and speed walking. Probably not in your state though.

It's natural for you to worry. I'm sure that if you have provided the coaches and sponsors with the information they will take good care of him. Are you able to go and watch the events? If so, you could always take some more food with you just incase.

Maybe they could also do a grocery store run if needed. Grab some lunch meat and cheese and make lunch meat roll-ups. Fruit would be easy to pick up.

If they have an outback steakhouse nearby they have outback-to go. You call ahead and they bring it to the car. Chipotle is also good (burrito bol's). Wendy's has a few things, mcd's has a few things, both have information on their websites as to specific menu items that would be ok.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Karol-

I am so glad you son has made it to the State Special Olympics, that is an honor. I am sure he will have a lot fun. I bet this year was more difficult due to the celiac but it sounds as if you had everything under control. Good Job!!!

natalie Apprentice

It is wonderful that he is going to the special Olympics...you must be SO proud. I'm sure he'll be just fine with the meals you sent. The Outback has delicious gluten-free food and we have never had a problem there. Let us know how it went. :)

kbtoyssni Contributor

Congrats to your son and also to you for letting him go! What events is he participating in?

Karwei5 Apprentice

Thanks,

we are in Illinois. He did the standing long jump this afternoon. We were not ableto see that because we work.

Sat. he has free. Then Sunday he will do a relay.

We will be able to get down to see that.

Billy is loving being away form Mom and Dad for the weekend. he especially is looking forward to the dance they have. Lots of girls to impress.

I don't think there is an Outback in the city they are in. I am looking at Wendy's though.

I ran out of time this morning before I had to leave for work.

They have Cracker barrel and a couple others that don't have nutritional info on their Website.

I will look more this evening.

I sent lettuce meat cheese rollups, egg salad w/ rice cracker, Tuna and sea salt chips, fruit,chips, cereal, donuts, and some other goodies. I made up lunch bags with a meal in it that they can just grab one and he has enough to eat.

Fro breakfast one day hey will have eggs and sausage so he can eat that.

I am feeling a bit better now. I was really nervous this morning. I am sure he is having fun. I just hope it is not too hot.

Karol mom to Billy

Karwei5 Apprentice

I found Noodles and Company there and it is close by so the teacher is running over to get him something there for dinner.

He did get sick after lunch yesterday but is doing good now.

ADDED: Billy got a #1st place in the long jump!! Awesome!!

His team got 4 in the relay.

It was really hot but it all worked out well and he is home now.

He treated his Dad to a movie this evening for Father's day. Billy picked the movie tough. Fantastic 4.

Karol mom to Billy :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I found Noodles and Company there and it is close by so the teacher is running over to get him something there for dinner.

He did get sick after lunch yesterday but is doing good now.

ADDED: Billy got a #1st place in the long jump!! Awesome!!

His team got 4 in the relay.

It was really hot but it all worked out well and he is home now.

He treated his Dad to a movie this evening for Father's day. Billy picked the movie tough. Fantastic 4.

Karol mom to Billy :D

Karol, tell Billy Congrats on the first place in long jump!! That is great. Also 4th in relay isn't too shabby either! WAY TO GO BILLY!!

Sounds like he had a fun trip. I think that sometimes it is harder for parents to "let go" than it is for the kids :) Glad it all worked out.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Archived