Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worriedwife

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

One of our favorite cookies has always been oatmeal raisin. I just use the recipe on the quaker oats can, with a few tweaks. I want to continue to make them, but I need to find someone who sells oats that have been grown and processed in dedicated facilities.

Also, do I need to adjust the recipe if I'm using gluten free flour. For example do I need to add an extra egg for binding or something like that? It would probably be the worst thing of all if we had to give up these cookies!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Cross-contamination!!!!!! is what is wrong with Quaker oats or any main stream ones. There are several companies that now sell oats that are safe. Lara's oats from Canada are good & my fav. Also the gluten-free oat co. fron Powell, Wy sells them.

mamaw

Several people on this website have very good information about what type of cookware you can keep, and what you need to replace. You will need to replace any wooden utensils, plastic strainers and cutting boards. Gluten will stick indefinitely to things like that. Also, you should replace your toaster, s it is nearly impossible to get it clean enough to be considered gluten free.

As far as foods go, you need to beware of the sneaky glutens. There is a list on this website of safe and forbidden foods. I suggest that you print it out and keep it with you. Read labels on everything!

Things like oats are a good example. In and of themselves, they are gluten free. But there is a big chance for cross contamination, as they are grown in the same fields and processed in the same plants as other grains (like wheat, rye and barley).

It's always better to be careful, since you (or a family member) will feel better that way.