Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueeyedmanda

This Just Bothers Me That I Wanted To Share It

Some of you may or may not know about the woman in CA that died in the ER. I heard the story and it just really upset me. This should have never happened. It bothers me more, I work in a hospital and we are taught to do whatever we can to help our patients and their families. Our hospital is a large hospital, so the volume of people being seen is high.

Here is the link to the story in case anyone does not know what happened.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-kingharbor,0...la-promo-layout

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Some of you may or may not know about the woman in CA that died in the ER. I heard the story and it just really upset me. This should have never happened. It bothers me more, I work in a hospital and we are taught to do whatever we can to help our patients and their families. Our hospital is a large hospital, so the volume of people being seen is high.

Wow, that is awful.

Endoscopy May 23,2007 - positive

Entrolab Dec 2006:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 209 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 35 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 371 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow

I understand why that "just really bothers" you!

That story got squashed by the higher ups in news broadcasting. I check the news often and never heard or saw a thing about this, but I am on the other coast. I guess the general public can't start distrusting the 911 dispatchers or their local hospitals.

That is absolutely terrible. Makes you wonder how that hospital is still open, although I understand aboutthe other hospitals not being able to handle the overflow. What a mess.

It does make you want to check the ratings of you local hospital and 911/police though. I actually have stopped to talk to local firemen/paramedics at a kids sports game about allergies and what they would do, etc. It was eye opening. They were great. They talked to my daughter and explained what they do and how they do it. Most adults don't even talk to the kids. They explained what info needs to be reported to 911 so the right truck arrives etc. So, overall I still think that most people have a passion and do their job well, not like the linked story.

Nancy Grace did a report on this the other night. I was actually flipping through channels, and this caught my attention.

The poor woman--it's just horrifying. They also talked about this hospital's terrible record.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I live in Portland Oregon and the story was on our local news. It is horrible. It's sad that one's socioeconomic status has such an impact on how one is treated--especially in a life and death situation. I hope that there are severe consequences for those involved, and a massive training session in humanity.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I understand why that "just really bothers" you!

That story got squashed by the higher ups in news broadcasting. I check the news often and never heard or saw a thing about this, but I am on the other coast. I guess the general public can't start distrusting the 911 dispatchers or their local hospitals.

That is absolutely terrible. Makes you wonder how that hospital is still open, although I understand aboutthe other hospitals not being able to handle the overflow. What a mess.

It does make you want to check the ratings of you local hospital and 911/police though. I actually have stopped to talk to local firemen/paramedics at a kids sports game about allergies and what they would do, etc. It was eye opening. They were great. They talked to my daughter and explained what they do and how they do it. Most adults don't even talk to the kids. They explained what info needs to be reported to 911 so the right truck arrives etc. So, overall I still think that most people have a passion and do their job well, not like the linked story.

I live on the East Coast too, and I saw it yesterday morning. Well, I was doing OT in the Clin Labs last night at my hospital, which I do frequently. We were talking about it and we always joke about the ER and having to wait, well at least I can say from my own experience, we always treat people and if someone came to us in this condition I highly doubt anyone would turn away.

If you read the other stories about this particular hospital on the net, the hospital has been in trouble many times and it comes down to the patients being in danger in the hospital.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

It is hard to understand isn't it? When I was working everyone in the hospital was trained in the basics-airway, breathing, circulation- and knew to recognize when one of those was compromised to get help immediately. How many hospital employees walked passed her bleeding from the mouth on the floor? Where was the triage nurse? So many questions.

Monica

We ran this story on our 5:30 news on Wednesday. I can't remember the affiliate (ABC, CBS, etc.) but the story was very wierd in that the first 4 clips were "streeters" talking about how they've had nothing but good experiences at that hospital.

I was horrified when the 911 operator seemed not to understand that the callers were not calling to complain about lack of service so much as get an EMT here to save this lady because the ER staff isn't doing a damn thing.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

It is sad that this poor woman got treated so badly. However, I don't think closing the clinic would help. Inner-city clinics are essential, in my opinion. They never receive enough funding, though, and this is what results.

My brother worked with MSF (Doctors Without Borders) in the Republic of the Congo. He tells me about the horrors he faced. Although they just had to sit by and watch many people die, the fact that they were helping other patients made it worth the while.

Maya - diagnosed June 2006

Heard this story on news other day (east coast) and my questions were:

1) where was "triage" unit? Those medics which rate the patient as to how severe the problem is and put patient ahead of the less urgent cases

2) why didn't 911 operators at least make a phone call into the ER to tell them that there's been 2 urgent calls for help from someone in their waiting room?

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Something really needs to be done about the "frequent flyers," the ones who call 911 or visit the emergency room just to get attention. Personally, I think they should be banned after so many times of coming in without a good reason. Then maybe people like this woman would be able to get the care they need without such a backup.

I think that this is awful too! I also work in a hostpital, Im lucky that I work in the Nursery with the newborns, Our ER is not the best, but I know that they work hard. I have gone down there from time to time to take something to a patient that only our floor has in the hostpital like formula for a patient with a baby that may have been in an accident I will take them a whole little case of 6 bottles for them, but anyway the ER is a scary place to be regardless. I even helped one of our housekeeping ladies take this young man to the ER complaining of chest pains, we took him in the back way found a Tech who assesses patients when they come in and they immdiatly took him without any questions and yes I think that it was a little busy but they took the time because He might have been having heart issues. I did not want to stop in the middle of the Main Hall to chech his vitals, yes I have my CPR but I didnt want to take the chance on using it without a nurse right there with me because I have never had to use it, THANK GOODNESS!! I feel for the family of the women who died, there was no need for that to happen in the first place. Yes I know nurses, Doctors, and Techs get tired but to have this death on my conchence it would be hard for me. A year ago we had a baby die in the room with mom not my patient, I was here that night but in working in the nursery that was hard enough to take at the time. I know my hospital throws around alot of educational material for people to attend and to be certified for this Hosptial I heard that will be shut down because of past mistakes like this which is probley good if they cant get it right.

donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!