This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chronic Headache?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

I have been dealing with this dull headache daily and a slightly stiff neck. I was wondering if this could be caused by a food intolerance. I am very good about being gluten free, but could this be caused by soy or dairy. I had my eyes and sinuses checked out and all is good. In the early evening i will get heavy eyes that feel a little sore and a little dizzy. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

chances are, the stiff neck is causing the headache. many chronic headaches are caused by the muscles in the neck, which connect to the head. so, bad cervical alignment, posture, and stress which causes excess and/or prolonged neck tension all contribute to headaches. (I get these, in addition to migraines, and they are often horrid.)

but food intolerances *can* also cause headaches. (it's a bit less likely, given what you describe, is all I'm trying to say. ;) )

chances are, the stiff neck is causing the headache. many chronic headaches are caused by the muscles in the neck, which connect to the head. so, bad cervical alignment, posture, and stress which causes excess and/or prolonged neck tension all contribute to headaches. (I get these, in addition to migraines, and they are often horrid.)

but food intolerances *can* also cause headaches. (it's a bit less likely, given what you describe, is all I'm trying to say. ;) )

Thanks.........that makes sense since the headache usually subsides for a while when im doing physical activity (maybe the tension gets released when im active). The gym always takes my headache away. What do you think causes my eyes to always feel heavy and tired?

aikiducky Apprentice

Eyes and your head position affect each other. It could be that your neck tension is making it hard for your eyes to work properly...or it could be that your eyes are straining and making it hard for your neck to relax. Do you spend a lot of time working at a computer?

Pauliina

tom Contributor

Well MINE were from food inolerances, I'm certain.

Daily headaches of varying degree for yrs.

And broken down further, it'd be very rare to get even a 1/4 day without.

None right now tho or for most of the past week. I quit soy the week before.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have dull, achy pain that begins at the base of my skull that is definately connected to gluten. It was chronic before I was diagnosed, and almost immediately after going gluten-free, it subsided.

Just recently, I was glutening myself with a facial cream that didn't clearly list ingredients. (the ingredients looked fine, and I used it without checking with the manufacturer--very stupid on my part)

Anyway, this went on for over a month before I made the connection--and the neck pain that had been long gone came back. I also have the heavy eyelids and dizziness with a glutening.

Perhaps you got some gluten without realizing it? I would think it is possible that it's another intolerance, but usually you would have noticed a pattern.

Of course, it could be strain or something of that sort. I would make a note of when this occurs and what you are eating and see if there is a link.

Eyes and your head position affect each other. It could be that your neck tension is making it hard for your eyes to work properly...or it could be that your eyes are straining and making it hard for your neck to relax. Do you spend a lot of time working at a computer?

Pauliina

I drive quite a bit and use a laptop, but not for really long intervals. Im in sales and all the orders i do are on the laptop. I do notice my posture when sitting is kind of hunched over, with high shoulders, and fairly tense. I try to remember to relax and release the tension when sitting at a table and using the laptop. Thanks guys

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

grey Explorer

Hi,

Have you been checked for vitamin/mineral definciencies? I have those symptoms and my pcp thinks probably my daily headache w/ neck pain, 'sandy' eyes (puffy too), dizzy, are vit. def. The headache is dif than migraine, yes, more dull? I have mine sometimes too if I forget to drink enogh water. I odn't know if singmifcant. I'm sorry can't remember which one-i'm currently deficinet in most all of them. Im' also lactose intolerant right now as newly dx celiac, and being tested for soy and dairly allergies. they're doing other tests too while i'm in hospital for deficiensies so if I learn anything else, i will passi it on. the one other suggestion from a nurse was low blood pressure (mine was 77/47 at the time) but my head still hurts and it wnet up to 90/50. (Dizzy would make sense w/ blood pressure though)

sorry about typng - iv interferes.

I have been dealing with this dull headache daily and a slightly stiff neck. I was wondering if this could be caused by a food intolerance. I am very good about being gluten free, but could this be caused by soy or dairy. I had my eyes and sinuses checked out and all is good. In the early evening i will get heavy eyes that feel a little sore and a little dizzy. Any suggestions?

Archived