This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Moving Near Burlington, Vermont!

kbeereal

kbeereal Newbie

I will be moving near Burlington Vermont (from Chicago) and I have NO IDEA where to buy groceries, or where it is safe to eat out. Can anyone help me out with some info? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

I lived there years ago before diagnosis. But, there is a great natural food co-op called Onion River. Also in Montpelier which is a half hour drive south on the highway there is a huge natural foods store (can't remember the name), that also has a eating area. Lots of great restaurants in Burlington, but I was not gluten free then. It is a very hip and happening town, so I bet a lot of restaurants would be knowledgeable. You will love it there. A beautiful town and so cool.

loraleena Contributor

I lived there years ago before diagnosis. But, there is a great natural food co-op called Onion River. Also in Montpelier which is a half hour drive south on the highway there is a huge natural foods store (can't remember the name), that also has a eating area. Lots of great restaurants in Burlington, but I was not gluten free then. It is a very hip and happening town, so I bet a lot of restaurants would be knowledgeable. You will love it there. A beautiful town and so cool.

• 2 weeks later...
laurabelle Newbie

Howdy, from across the lake in Plattsburgh. I don't really know the area but I have a close friend who is a nurse who used to live there so I will ask her for any suggestions. It is a beautiful city and there is alot to do indoors and out.

• 4 weeks later...
Boojca Apprentice
I will be moving near Burlington Vermont (from Chicago) and I have NO IDEA where to buy groceries, or where it is safe to eat out. Can anyone help me out with some info? Thanks!

I am in Burlington, and you are in luck!!! Where exactly are you moving to? Some people say Burlington bc it's the general idea, but if you are in Burlington, South Burlington, Winooski, etc... it makes a difference. In general all the big grocery stores here have "natural sections" and lots of gluten-free options. I do most of my shopping in the "normal" grocery stores, actually. There are two health food stores in Burlington. I prefer Healthy Living, which is located on Dorset St and about to move down the street from where they are and become even BIGGER. They have a GREAT gluten-free section. The co-op in downtown Btown is ok, but not as good as Healthy Living. And HL has an actual gluten-free section whereas the co-op downtown you have to find it yourself. If you are in Essex, or closer to Essex, there is a new health food store by the movie theater and it is also great, and has an actual gluten-free section.

There are a lot of "small restaurants" here, and many are very happy to accomodate. We don't eat out much and my 5yo is the Celiac, so I don't have a ton of experience eating out here. But we do have an Outback, McD's, and there are some nicer restaurants locally that are happy to work with you. Leunig's, Smokejack's, Tilley's Cafe, Big Fatty's BBQ, Windjammer, Tuscan Kitchen...basically just give places a call and everyone is really friendly.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help

kbeereal Newbie

Thanks for the info! We are moving next week to Essex, and we are very excited!

• 2 weeks later...
VermontCeliac Newbie

Hi, and welcome to Essex Junction!

I also live in Essex Junction. I was diagnosed about three months ago so I don't know a lot of places yet but I'll be happy to add some information to the previous replies.

For mainstream supermarkets, I've found the Shaw's at Taft Corner, in Williston, has the best selection of gluten-free food. The Hannaford in Williston has a broader selection than the Hannaford in Essex.

You will definitely want to check out Sweet Clover Market, across from the Essex Cinema in the Outlets shopping plaza. West Meadow Farm provides them with gluten-free baked goods every week. You can also special order breads, cakes and pies directly from West Meadow Farm.

For dining out, I would add to the list:

Sonoma Station, in Richmond --- small, chef-owned. They don't have a gluten-free menu but they "get it" and have prepared some fabulous, safe gluten-free meals. I recently had a blackened tuna steak, garlic mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and a trio of house-made sorbets for a dessert. Yummy.

Michael's on the Hill, on Route 100 north (I don't know if the address is Waterbury Center or Stowe but it's heading toward Stowe off 89, exit 10) -- another chef-owned and operated property and another one that gets the gluten-free requirements. Had a wonderful gluten-free dinner there about a month ago.

Of course, there is the Outback Steakhouse in South Burlington with a full gluten-free menu.

And, the Longhorn Steakhouse, near Taft Corner, in Williston, will accommodate gluten-free dining. They don't have an official menu but most of the staff understands the requirements. I did have one waiter who didn't seem to understand and I wasn't sure how it woudl get translated to the kitchen so I asked for the manager, who was excellent about it. Had two dinners there that were safe and enjoyable.

For Sunday brunch, which I've done occasionally with visitors, I recommend J. Morgan's in the Capitol Plaza hotel in Montpelier. Honestly, they were very upfront that the only thing I could really eat confidently gluten-free was the omelet and bacon but that was perfectly fine with me. Made to order omelet and I took my own cinnamon-raisin bread (from West Meadow Farm). Comes with a Mimosa and/or Starbucks coffee. Reasonably priced and others will love the variety of the buffet, if you don't mind too much watching others eat waffles with whipped cream and fresh strawberries, etc.

Since I was only diagnosed a few months ago, I haven't gotten around to try all the places another person posted but I'm looking forward to that. So far, I've found Vermont, and particularly our area of it, to be pretty gluten-free-friendly.

Good luck. And, welcome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
kbeereal Newbie

Thanks so much for all the advice! I will be heading out to the grocery store today!

• 5 weeks later...
garlicmojo Newbie

I'm also in Essex with 2 gluten-free boys! They love Souza's in Burlington on Main Street for Sunday brunch. It's a Brazilian place and their bread is naturally gluten-free, made with tapioca and cheese, and there are very few gluten containing items. The chef, Kelly (last name I can't remember), it very knowledgeable about the diet. It's been hit or miss at Roque's (mexican place on the waterfront) but we finally got a great, intelligent waitress last time. You have to ask for meat that hasn't been marinated as their marinade has beer in it, but you can get some great fajitas with plain chicken and fresh made corn tortillas (must ask for these and not wheat). We haven't attempted Single Pebble yet, but I hear they are accommodating too and have gluten-free soy sauce available. Hope you're loving Essex so far

Michele

Archived