This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

gluten-free Pancakes At Ihop!

ptkds

lovegrov Collaborator

As for the corn pancakes, I'd bet that if you went to an IHOP and asked the manager to let you see the ingredients, you could find out what's in them. The batter or at least the corn mix probably comes pre-made.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer
Yes, I believe its a more recent addition to their menu as well, during my diagnosis about 4-5 years ago, I was in college in southern virginia and got sick and it was not on the menu. I'm glad that it is now! I didn't know about the flour tortilla thing, that is very helpful, thank you!

I got sick from their corn tortillas. I didn't know back then how sensitive cross contamination could be and I'm sure they probably grilled them in the same place as the flour tortillas.

ptkds Community Regular

Well, I finally got to go to an IHOP yesterday in North central Tx. I asked the waitress about the corn pancakes, but she had no clue so she went and talked to the cook. He was VERY nice about the whole situation. At first, he said that they contained no gluten, but he would check first. He came out a few minutes later and said that the mix did contain wheat. So he AND the manager checked EVERY product and mix to see if there was anything safe. There wasn't, except for the egg beaters. I was disappointed, (and so was my 6 yr old dd), but I was grateful and impressed with their kindness and willingness to help. So, since my mom had gluten-free corn pancakes at one, and another didn't have them, I think we should just be really careful and always ask. They get their stuff from different suppliers, so the ingredients vary. But this cook was willing to cook them on a completely different grill than the normal pancakes/omelettes. Unfortunatley, we had to find a different place to eat :(

Just wanted to update!!

ptkds

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Way to go Chris....

I have always wanted to try IHOP just never have due to not a big breakfast fan, just wanted to try their stuffed french toast but was affraid to eat out and then go shopping all day (not to fond of having back door trots in a shopping mall) lol

So I also saw u had Wendy's on ur safe rest. list.....

What do they offer that's gluten free I know jr.hamburger and sm fry r a no no after eating it last weekend i slept all day the next day and my DH drove me in sane.

I also know not to eat fish from Mc D's or anything for that matter from there :(

any suggestions on other fast food rest. would be greatly appriciated :rolleyes:

Plz let me know....

Belinda

Juliebove Rising Star
Well, I finally got to go to an IHOP yesterday in North central Tx. I asked the waitress about the corn pancakes, but she had no clue so she went and talked to the cook. He was VERY nice about the whole situation. At first, he said that they contained no gluten, but he would check first. He came out a few minutes later and said that the mix did contain wheat. So he AND the manager checked EVERY product and mix to see if there was anything safe. There wasn't, except for the egg beaters. I was disappointed, (and so was my 6 yr old dd), but I was grateful and impressed with their kindness and willingness to help. So, since my mom had gluten-free corn pancakes at one, and another didn't have them, I think we should just be really careful and always ask. They get their stuff from different suppliers, so the ingredients vary. But this cook was willing to cook them on a completely different grill than the normal pancakes/omelettes. Unfortunatley, we had to find a different place to eat :(

Just wanted to update!!

ptkds

I'd say it's much more likely that the person who said those were gluten free didn't know what gluten was. I just had an incident in a restaurant last night. We normally get the same waitress who knows my daughter can't have gravy on her meat. But we got a different person. And even though we told her "no gravy", she failed to tell the cook that. She then asked if it would be okay to scrape the gravy off? "No", I said. Daughter was allergic to wheat. To which she informed me there was no wheat in the gravy. I then perked up and said I had just assumed they made their gravy with flour. "Oh! Well, there's flour in there", she replied. Gah! So... Perhaps the person who said they were gluten free didn't really know what gluten was. I've searched high and low for a corn cake recipe that doesn't contain wheat flour. Most do.

Karen B. Explorer
I'd say it's much more likely that the person who said those were gluten free didn't know what gluten was. I just had an incident in a restaurant last night. We normally get the same waitress who knows my daughter can't have gravy on her meat. But we got a different person. And even though we told her "no gravy", she failed to tell the cook that. She then asked if it would be okay to scrape the gravy off? "No", I said. Daughter was allergic to wheat. To which she informed me there was no wheat in the gravy. I then perked up and said I had just assumed they made their gravy with flour. "Oh! Well, there's flour in there", she replied. Gah! So... Perhaps the person who said they were gluten free didn't really know what gluten was. I've searched high and low for a corn cake recipe that doesn't contain wheat flour. Most do.

If you want to try something different sometime, try putting your cornbread batter into your waffle iron. I like to add cheese corn and jalapenos to the cornbread batter for more flavor. Only try this if you can remove the plates and wash them. But the great thing about cooking your cornbread in the waffle iron is you can heat it up in your toaster later for a quick piece of hot cornbread. Also, a co-worker tried this with her kid and he likes cornbread waffles but he doesn't like cornbread. I think it's because it becomes a dipper with chili.

Juliebove Rising Star
If you want to try something different sometime, try putting your cornbread batter into your waffle iron. I like to add cheese corn and jalapenos to the cornbread batter for more flavor. Only try this if you can remove the plates and wash them. But the great thing about cooking your cornbread in the waffle iron is you can heat it up in your toaster later for a quick piece of hot cornbread. Also, a co-worker tried this with her kid and he likes cornbread waffles but he doesn't like cornbread. I think it's because it becomes a dipper with chili.

I don't own a waffle iron. Had one years ago but never got a decent waffle from it and it was a mess to use. I should add that we also have allergies to egg and dairy so that makes making cornbread even more difficult.

I did find a good recipe for gorditas that I posted here. We ate them unstuffed. They were very good and tasted like cornbread. I am going to try doing them in the oven next time. Will have to look for some of those muffin top pans.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator

I called the Ihop in Union, NJ and they said the corn pancakes are gluten free. But I am sure they are not dairy free, I forgot to ask about that.

Nicole

kerrih Rookie
My mom went to IHOP yesterday w/ her dh and my brother. She said they had "corn cake pancakes" and they were gluten free! She said they tasted pretty good, too. So I called IHOP to see if this were true, and of course they wouldn't confirm. They told me to talk to the manager at the IHOP I go to. So, if you have an IHOP near you, call em up! They may have gluten-free pancakes there!!

ptkds

PS, the IHOP she went to was somewhere in the Beumont/houston area.

I just went to IHOP and the corn pancakes are NOT gluten free. They have flour in them. I asked before I ordered. I figured it would need some flour to make them fluffy with the cornmeal.

Kerri

Franceen Explorer
Thank You Chris!

I went to a Denny's three times in the last several weeks (driving trip for work with others who prefer to eat where they like it and I have to veto or accept).

They showed me a binder with nutritional info for all their foods.

The selection isn't HUGE but you can get a decent meal a la carte there.

I have been to about 15 different restaurants in the past 3 months (been traveling a lot) and recently I had a breakout (I have DH), so SOMETHING wasn't gluten-free that should have been. I suspect it was Ruby Tuesdays though (who refuses to disclose ingredients just like IHOP). TGIF had a list of Wheat Free stuff and the name of the supplier for ALL their foods. Just about everything has Wheat INCLUDING ALL THEIR CHICKEN (even grilled). The supplier is Tysons and they inject wheat starch into their chickens that they supply to restaurants! SCARY.

Crystalkd Contributor

I ate at IHOP last night. ( I had no choice. It was the only thing around) When I was telling the waitress what I could or couldn't have she looked at me like I was stupid. I carry a card in my wallet that explains it and even that seemed to confuse her. I got an omlette. The lady even brought me pancake. My friend about went off the handle. I sent the pancakes back of course but ate the omlette. I have had no ill effects so far but I'm watching out for them. I'm also taking the area I was in intoconsideration as well. I won't go back and eat at that one but the next time I go to one I will speak directly to the manager. Food service personel need to be taught about allergy situations.

mmaccartney Explorer

I might be coming in late with my 2 cents...

I don't trust restaurants at all. None. I've been glutened too many times to trust anything that I don't make myself in my own kitchen.

Maybe I'm going overboard, but I don't think so...I've spent too much time in pain, agony, and the bathroom to take any risks...

Heck, one steakhouse I ate at...I am sure the food was fine for me, but the people I was eating with were cutting bread on the table.......some crumbs got on my food that I didn't see and BAM I got hit...

It just isn't worth the risk anymore for me...

• 3 years later...
hipretty Apprentice

My child just asked me if I ever went to IHOP. Being that I had as a child, I felt so sad for him AND my gluten eating child who has never been there., We have stayed away from IHOP all this time. So I came to look for an update.

This last post was from 2007. Does anyone know if I am missing a more current update here on the forums, or has the IHOP issue stopped right here in 2007 dead in the water never to be revived again?

Thank you!

PS I am mostly in agreement with mmaccartney that "I don't trust restaurants at all. None."...But...I guess I am still hoping that more big businesses will be smart enough to try to include other less taken care of populations!

hnybny91 Rookie

That was a great response to IHOP. Total BS their response was.

Oh, and the blurb about there being pancake batter in the omlettes is definitely a new addition. Didn't use to be there.

Takala Enthusiast

Nobody's eating gluten free at IHOP. Okay, I did once or twice very late at night when we needed coffee, after the county fair, and just got fried eggs and was okay, but I'm not super sensitive.

For sweets, it's better to either make a pilgrimage to a gluten free bakery, or start making gluten free pancakes at home, and you can then pile them up with whatever safe toppings you desire. I guarantee you can make a better pancake than you can get commercially, anyway, with just a little practice. Those poor people on wheat never get the almond pancakes or the buckwheat ones. We do this a lot on weekends here. I have a dedicated blender for grinding almonds, which is super easy and fast, and I recently started grinding gluten free toasted buckwheat. It doesn't take much for a serving.

Instead of corn syrup with food coloring and artificial flavors we use real maple syrup and fresh fruit. You can warm this in the microwave in a bowl, if you want the syrup to take on the color of the fruit. Optional toppings include cool whip or cream cheese or sweetened yogurt, chocolate chips, etc. You can also make a dessert pancake and put ice cream on it, if you have a dairy problem, you can make them dairy free and use Coconut Bliss frozen ice cream.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I ate at I-HOP last month and had a great experience!

I did notice on the menu that the the omelets contain pancake batter to make them fluffy, so I pulled the waitress aside explained to her that I have a "wheat allergy" and asked if my eggs could be made separate and without any batter. She spoke to the manager, who spoke to the cooks, and I received a lovely bacon and cheese omelet with fruit on the side. The waitress was very understanding and said her son has the same problem(wheat allergy?), so I trusted that she was taking of care of things behind the scenes for me.

When they brought out my plate, they brought it separate and assured me that it had been double checked and did not contain any wheat :) Yay for IHOP! OR at least the one I went to!

Archived