• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

floridanative

Finally - A gluten-free Frosting In A Jar

Rate this topic

Their Decadent Chocolate Frosting in a jar is the best such product I've had. It's very rich, creamy and seems homemade to me. I used it on Cherrybrook Kitchen chocolate cupcakes and thought they were good enough to share with gluten eating neighbors. It's pricey but worth it when you don't have time to make it from scratch.

Our Trader Joe's has a lot of new gluten-free products since they opened in Dec. last year. I also eat their frozen chicken taquitos and their wonderful sorbet's. The coconut sorbet contains dairy which is odd for sorbet but it is to die for. You can't beat their price of $1.99 - I'm used to spending $3.99 at WF. If something is made in a plant that processes wheat, that is on their labels. If something is made on lines that produce wheat products, those aren't on the gluten free list. They are very concerned about cc issues which is more than I can say for most companies I've spoken to. They have a flourless choclate torte in the bakery section but I haven't tried it yet as hubby is allergic to dark chocalate.

Actually, DH said their homestyle frostings were okay, then not.....it's on again off again with them and I've taken products like that off my shopping list. Their frosting is full of crap anyway, gluten-free or not. I bought a can before I was careful about limiting my food additives and it clearly said barley malt on the label. That was a year ago. In early 2007 they told Clan Thomson that their frostings changed ingredients all the time so they felt they should state they are not gluten free because they don't know which batch will be and which won't.

We use Pillsbury. I will look for the Trader Joes one next time I am near a Trader Joe's, but Pillsbury I can buy locally and it has worked for us for many years. We do not use any other brand of canned frosting.

Actually, DH said their homestyle frostings were okay, then not.....it's on again off again with them and I've taken products like that off my shopping list. Their frosting is full of crap anyway, gluten-free or not. I bought a can before I was careful about limiting my food additives and it clearly said barley malt on the label. That was a year ago. In early 2007 they told Clan Thomson that their frostings changed ingredients all the time so they felt they should state they are not gluten free because they don't know which batch will be and which won't.

The information that I posted was correct as of 5/14/2007.

The information that I posted was correct as of 5/14/2007.

As my post stated, Duncan Hines has changed their position on their creamy homestlye frosting at least four times in 18 months that I know of. I had to return a can when I mistakenly bought it after I had gotten it gluten-free before. The newer can clearly stated barley on the label. Any company that changes their position that many times is a company I'll do everything to avoid buying products from. They could say their stuff is gluten-free for life and I'd never buy it again - not because I don't believe it's gluten-free, because I don't want to patronize companies that I don't think care about the gluten-free market. If you read all the chemicals listed on the DH brand gluten-free frosting - that alone is enough to keep healthy eaters from consuming it. I don't care what others eat but I refuse to put all that crap in my body now that it's so clean. I can't see going to so much trouble to remain gluten free and then eating chemicals and things like MSG on a daily basis. I understand a lot of people do this, that's their business and what I eat - or don't eat in this case - is mine.