Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katydid

I Didn't Know This About Xanthum Gum

We all know that microwaving regular buns and bread makes them softer and fresher tasting, even if several days old. But when it comes to Gluten Free items, I read recently that its really a necessity unless they are fresh out of the oven. Apparently, after cooling and sitting, even if in plastic bags, the Xanthum Gum 'sets up' causing a more dry texture and needs a quick nuke to reconstitue.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We all know that microwaving regular buns and bread makes them softer and fresher tasting, even if several days old. But when it comes to Gluten Free items, I read recently that its really a necessity unless they are fresh out of the oven. Apparently, after cooling and sitting, even if in plastic bags, the Xanthum Gum 'sets up' causing a more dry texture and needs a quick nuke to reconstitue.

Quite true. The trick I didn't know at first is that you only need to warm it 10-15 seconds. It doesn't take as much as regular bread would. I usually try to warm it with a damp paper towel around it to soften further.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003