Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katydid

I Didn't Know This About Xanthum Gum

We all know that microwaving regular buns and bread makes them softer and fresher tasting, even if several days old. But when it comes to Gluten Free items, I read recently that its really a necessity unless they are fresh out of the oven. Apparently, after cooling and sitting, even if in plastic bags, the Xanthum Gum 'sets up' causing a more dry texture and needs a quick nuke to reconstitue.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We all know that microwaving regular buns and bread makes them softer and fresher tasting, even if several days old. But when it comes to Gluten Free items, I read recently that its really a necessity unless they are fresh out of the oven. Apparently, after cooling and sitting, even if in plastic bags, the Xanthum Gum 'sets up' causing a more dry texture and needs a quick nuke to reconstitue.

Quite true. The trick I didn't know at first is that you only need to warm it 10-15 seconds. It doesn't take as much as regular bread would. I usually try to warm it with a damp paper towel around it to soften further.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

It’s certainly possible.  Coffee and susbstances made from cow’s milk are common intolerances in Celiacs due the upset of your autoimmune system.  
    That's good to know. I have my MRI on a celiac disease as it was requested by an ENT consultant to take a look at but again this is someone who isn't looking in regards to gluten ataxia but I can mention it to them and also give it to...
    The boat feeling did resolve but I do still have some residual balance issues. However I had ataxia impact from the time I was a child until my 40's. Glad to hear you are seeing someone that will be looking specifically for the UBOs. My neuro...