Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewGFMom

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Alla Margaret

After three attempts, I think I've hit on something really good. :lol: The first, I threw out. The second I ate and marveled at their addictive nature in spite of the gritty undertones. But this one, I think is the keeper. It's kind of an adapted version of the Bette Hagman, but I didn't want to use margarine or crisco. The brown sugar really covers the textures of the flour. I always made my version of Toll House cookies with all brown sugar because I thought it lent a more butter-scotchy flavor to the dough. ^_^

So, here goes:

1 3/4 c. featherlight mix*

1/2 c. sorghum flour

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup butter

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 c. brown sugar

12 oz. bag choc. chips

Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. I find this prevents them from burning at the higher oven temp required by gluten-free flours.

Have all ingredients at room temperature.

pre-measure flourmix, sorghum flour and xantham gum into a small bowl and set aside.

Cream butter in eletric mixer on medium high about 30 seconds until it's mushy. Add brown sugar and beat until the color lightens and it is smooth.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating each until well incorporated and the batter is smooth.

Add salt and baking soda

Add vanilla

Slow mixer to low and Add dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.

Stir in chocolate chips and nuts by hand.

Use cookie scoop or teaspoon to drop onto cookie sheets covered with parchment paper.

Bake 9-11 minutes or until done.

Featherlight Flour Mix (From Bette Hagman's cookbook)

white rice flour 1 cup

tapioca flour 1 cup

corn starch 1 cup

potato flour (not starch) 1 tbsp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks! I'm going to try it. My husband says he knows that I love him when I make chocolate chip cookies - oh brother. It is impossible to get both good tase and good texture - I'll give these a try.

Gina

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

If you're willing to risk the raw egg, and are a cookie dough fan, these are for you. The dough just tastes like normal cookie dough.

Not that I'm in to that :rolleyes: or anything...

I use the Ghiradelli large dark chocolate baking chips.

Any ideas if this would work with a butter replacer. I am totally dairy and soy free and got the Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.

Sarah

Sarah 29 gluten-free for daughter since March 2007

Rebecca 12/21/06 apppears to be sensitive to all foods FFT

Robbie 1/12/07 cashew allergy, doing better off gluten

Any ideas if this would work with a butter replacer. I am totally dairy and soy free and got the Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.

Sarah

I think a quality margarine or shortening might work. Although, I don't know of any margarines out there that don't contain soy. The thing that works in this recipe is the all brown sugar (instead of brown and white) and the extra vanilla, and this particular combination of flours.

I think the Ghiradelli chips are dairy free though. I know they make some that are. And they are SO high quality. If I was making this for somebody with a dairy intolerance, I would up the chocolate by 1/2 and add nuts (if allowed). That way the cookie part is merely a chocolate delivery system.

These cookies are a bit runny though. They held together much better when I put walnuts in them. But I'm the only one in my family who likes nuts in cookies... So I made them nut free and they were very thin, but they are tasty.

I'm still tweaking the recipe a bit. Stay tuned for an updated version in a couple of weeks. (Can't make any more cookies for a bit, or the button on my jeans will explode!)

I think I've found my chocolate chip cookie recipe! I underbaked them some (even pre-gluten-free I always tended to underbake things because I like fudgy brownies and melty cookie bars, so it's no surprise that has carried over!) and so they didn't stay together well on the night I made them, but the next day, when they were room temp/cold (it's gotten colder here already), they held together pretty well and were soooo much like my beloved toll house cookie bars!

Thanks so much for posting this!

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free