Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am new at trying to become gluten-free. It's a process but I am getting there. I love oatmeal for breakfast in the morining and I see that oatmeal from Quaker is a big no ... but is Organic Oatmeal okay? :unsure:

I ususally eat my breakfast at work ... suggestions for replacement to oatmeal will be great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am new at trying to become gluten-free. It's a process but I am getting there. I love oatmeal for breakfast in the morining and I see that oatmeal from Quaker is a big no ... but is Organic Oatmeal okay? :unsure:

I ususally eat my breakfast at work ... suggestions for replacement to oatmeal will be great!

First a question, are you diagnosis celiac?

Organic does not mean that it was processed in the fields that did not contain wheat, nor does the processing eliminate wheat in the facility.

Organic does not mean pure for celiacs.

I am not a big breakfast food person. I usually rely on left-overs or eggs and bacon. At work you may need to plan ahead. A corn tortilla with egg, sausage or bacon and cheese that you can zap at work might work. You can make a variety of those on the weekend and put them in the freezer and take them out as you need them. Fruit salad may be doable.

Hope my little imput was helpful.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

There are a couple different brands of pure, uncontaminated, gluten-free oats. They can sometimes be found at health food stores. The brand I get is called Gifts of Nature. The other brand can be found at www.glutenfreeoats.com

Some celiacs cannot eat any oats, due to the fact that the oat protein very similair to the gluten protein. I wouldn't try oats right away. Wait until you've been gluten-free for several months, then reintroduce oats to see if you can tolerate them.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I stay away from any oats myself even if they are pure and uncontaminated. Some celiacs still react to the protein in oats and I would be one of those people I am sure.

Organic doesn't mean anything as far as gluten is concerned though. If you have to have them you need to look for brands that are grown, transported, and in a facility of their own because many brands are processed with wheat and therefore they are contaminated.

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

I tried oats again after being gluten-free for a long time and I got such pains. The gal that runs our health food store got me on cream of buckwheat and I LOVE it.......very similar to cream of wheat, but toally gluten-free. It has fiber too. It is a great start to my day. Barbara

I tried oats again after being gluten-free for a long time and I got such pains. The gal that runs our health food store got me on cream of buckwheat and I LOVE it.......very similar to cream of wheat, but toally gluten-free. It has fiber too. It is a great start to my day. Barbara

I agree! Pocono Cream of Buckwheat is a wonderful substitute for hot oatmeal for breakfast. I love it! It also comes from a pretty reliable company, Birkett Mills.

My doctor said no I am not celiac but I think my body does not tolerate gluten. I am at 98% gluten free and already the bathroom situation as improved and I have more energy. But the main thing that brought me to here is that I have lost all my hair (alopecia totalis) and have read on a number of sites that gluten could be the underlying problem all these years.

I was afraid to try Cream of Buckwheat becuase of the meantion of 'wheat'. I thought it was a somehow related to the wheat family but will give it a try. I have tried grits and cream of rice but it is not giving me the satisfied feeling that oatmeal gave me. I also like the sound of the corn tortilla idea.

Thank you everyone for your help! :)