Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have Celiac and we think my son does. We are trying him an a gluten free diet. My question is he is saying that he is going to vomit at night before bed. I don't know if it is in his mind or if it is real. He has vomited a few times when he has gotten into excessive amounts of gluten. We were starting him slowly, but now have just totally switched. Any help would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Since you have celiac disease, I'm sure that you understand the diet well so I'll list off some of the gluten free foods that my son likes. He likes the Glutino ritz shaped crackers with Peanut butter, the large Ener-G crackers with cream cheese and lunch meat, Ener-G Seattle crackers (similar to wheat thins), and the Blue Diamond Nut thins. He likes popcorn, Lays Stax, Kettle chips, Barbara's Bakes cheese puffs, gluten-free pretzels, and Oberto natural style beef jerky in original, hickory, or peppered flavors. He doesn't really like specialty cereals, but he does like fruity & cocoa pebbles, Trix, Dora Stars, and Erewhorn twice rice cereal. He also eats Van's gluten-free waffles. You can also use Health Valley Corn or rice crunch-ems to make Chex mix or muddy buddies. Yoplait yogurt and Jello brands will clearly list any gluten. We also eat quite a bit of spaghetti and sometimes alfredo using Tinkyada pasta. We like to make our own pizzas using Kinnikinnick crusts. Speaking of Kinnikinnick, we also like their bagels, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, and oreo like cookies. The Bell & Evans chicken nuggets are excellent and Dr Phaeger's fish sticks products are good as well. I also make cheese quesadillas using corn or rice tortillas. Safeway brand of chewable vitamins for children is also gluten free.

I hope this helps

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I have Celiac and we think my son does. We are trying him an a gluten free diet. My question is he is saying that he is going to vomit at night before bed. I don't know if it is in his mind or if it is real. He has vomited a few times when he has gotten into excessive amounts of gluten. We were starting him slowly, but now have just totally switched. Any help would be appreciated.

Before my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease, her lactose intolerance made her vomit almost every morning after breakfast. I know laying down can have a sort of gravity effect on barf. It does for me, anyway. Maybe he's telling you that he kind of feels nauseous when he lays down.

How old is this boy? Is he old enough to express what he's feeling in terms that make sense?

Have you had him tested yet? Remember that the test will come up with a false negative result if he has been on a gluten-free diet, even if he really is a celiac. Get a doctor involved.

It might be dairy.....my dd never showed any signs of being intolerant to dairy until she went gluten free. It took a good six months before she could tolerate any dairy at all.

I ended up taking it out of her diet again a few months ago, but it was b/c she was getting moody/agitated again.....casein doesn't make her physically sick like it used too.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Some of the higher carb/ spike the glycemia index gluten-free foods make me ill myself. Could it be from such an item before bed? The worse for me was gluten-free Pantry pie crust, I thought I would vomit on the spot, I was also light headed.

Dairy is a good thought. Corn is also a rising concern. (I saw corn growing right along wheat in PA last weekend.) And oats should be avoided in children w/ celiac disease.

We have cut back on the dairy and that seems to help. Thank you all for your help. When this was just me, it wasn't so bad, but I wish my son didn't have to go through this. He has been a trooper. He says that he is just like his daddy. The one thing that helped was the Kinnikinnick donuts. Thank you again.

Is you son feeling any better?

-Rachelle :)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)