This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Tried Calorie Restriction?

AaronYoq

AaronYoq Newbie

Please forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but a quick search query did not find an answer to what I'm looking for. Has anyone with celiac tried a diet of calorie restriction?

For those of you not familiar with calorie restriction, a brief summary may be found here:

Open Original Shared Link

The reason I wonder about this diet specifically for celiac suffers, is that calorie restriction has shown to reduce/delay the effects of several conditions, including neuropathy in a few disorders, like Alzheimers:

Open Original Shared Link

Also, if celiac is an autoimmune response to food we are taking in, it would seem like a smaller amount of food being taken in would both decrease the chances of the food containing intolerable substances by making meals simpler and more manageable and also by giving your body less food to "act upon" , or trigger a response, if you will, by there being less total food substance in the body. Perhaps eating small, nutritious meals, and taking supplements would decrease the body's level of self-damage.

Anyone heard of this? What do you think?

Aaron

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

I hadn't heard of that before. It sounds very interesting though. I definitely noticed that I was feeling better when I cut back on empty calories and ate only foods that were nutritious. This was before I was diagnosed though, so less food meant less gluten, so that could be another reason I felt better!

Nancym Enthusiast

I've done Intermittent Fasting, which has similar effects to CR, but always kept it gluten free. :) I know of someone doing CR and participating in a study for it.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Also, if celiac is an autoimmune response to food we are taking in, it would seem like a smaller amount of food being taken in would both decrease the chances of the food containing intolerable substances by making meals simpler and more manageable and also by giving your body less food to "act upon" , or trigger a response, if you will, by there being less total food substance in the body. Perhaps eating small, nutritious meals, and taking supplements would decrease the body's level of self-damage.

It only takes a small amount to get a gluten reaction and sometimes worse then when we were having large amouns of it. I've read this study 3 years ago when "0" magazine had an article on it. It makes sense that you would live longer just because your heart isn't working so hard. I could say I follow it just because I was so sick for awhile I lost my appetite for awhile, and lost weight. I got used to eating mostly veggies and protein. I'm eating more now and go through spurts were I eat alot of grains but never for long. I do feel the best when I'm not eating them and so goes the restriction.

My weight is at 115 at 5'7' and I feel the best at that. Any lower and I'll get nocturnal hypogycemia and distrubs my sleep. And your defeating your goal of trying to be healhier, diabeties runs in the family and I want to keep my pancreous or liver from having to work to hard trying to normalize low blood sugars. I think if your constantly cold you should up your calories especially in winter if you live in colder climates. Ideally if you eat foods that are native to your area which I think is a good idea your going to eat more starchy root veggies and breads because your relying on a root cellar and stored grains if you didn't have the convience of trucks hallling veggies from california or Mexico. I think its meant that we gain alittle weight during the winter just because of the cold and flu season.

I seem to be healthier then my siblings except for the gluten intolerance. I'm not on any medications and I just turned 50. But I do have to say I eat this way because if I eat to much my stomach hurts and I feel pain no matter if its gluten free or not. I just have a touchy digestive system.

Gail

Archived