This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Business Trip Since Diagnosis

Bike2work4me

Bike2work4me Newbie

I'm 4 days into an 8-day, 2-city business trip. It's the first time I've traveled since I was diagnosed gluten-intolerant. It's been quite a challenge. Luckily I have a studio room the first four days but I'm going to be in a hotel room the next four days. I was able to shop at a Wild Oats on my way here from the airport so I've been able to eat breakfast and lunch in my room. I've been eating dinners out. I'm still learning to ask the right questions, and I've been pretty successful. It seems as if most of the servers are familiar with gluten. Thanks for all of the tips and info I've picked up from this forum.

The next four days will be more of a challenge. I've got to travel by air all day tomorrow to a town I'm not familiar with at all. I'm going to Florida so I'm hoping to eat some nice broiled fish. Keep your fingers crossed for me. ;)

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Hi, I'm traveling on business soon too. It seems like such a big task to travel on business while eating gluten-free. Hope your trip goes well.

zansu Rookie

For the first 2.5 years post-diagnosis, I traveled roughly 60% of the time. I traveled enough that I was on the concierge floor of the hotel chain, so breakfast was easy. I'd bring my cereal (picture business suit and box of panda puffs) and eat their fruit and milk. When I wasn't on the concierge floor, or had to stay over the weekend when it's closed, I'd just walk right into the Marriott dining room with my box of cereal and ask for a bowl and some milk. Never had a problem. The hotels can also usually do dinner, a plain chicken breast, steak or hamburger with steamed veggies. They have enough people who try to diet on the road that they will accommodate pretty well. Lunch with the people you're visiting was the worst for me. I took "My own Meals" or Thai kitchen soups with a small tin of chicken as backup. No refrigeration and only requires a microwave (or hot water) which pretty much everyplace has. That way if they brought in sandwiches for lunch, I'd just make my own. WHen they brought in deli trays, I'd jsut get myself up there first and sandwich of roast beef in between 2 pieces of swiss (lowest risk options). When everyone went out together, I'd just order a soft drink, then eat my lunch when we got back.

Dinner out was one of the "safe" chains or a steakhouse or high end place where they cook from scratch and can adjust. One trip I ate at PFChangs 3 nights in a row. Safe trumps exciting.

Good luck..... But it can be done.

Bike2work4me Newbie
Good luck..... But it can be done.

Thanks for the encouragement. So far, so good. I was able to find a nice fruit/cheese plate at the Denver airport and I've been eating steak and seafood with a side of rice for dinner. Luckily, I have a small fridge in my room so I was able to buy some breakfast stuff.

It sure was a lot easier to eat on the road pre-diagnosis, but I feel 10x better now. It's worth the challenge.

Gretchen

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Gretchen,

Sounds like you are doing great on your business trip. I too, just returned from a business trip where I was in Washington DC for a few days. I made out well. I brought along a lot of food and ate dinners at the hotel, which was a Marriott. I did not get sick once and I had a great time.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I am glad to here you have done well on your business trip. I try to always stay where I have a kitchen even if it means staying at a different hotel the my traveling campanions. I also have found that I need to rent a car to get to the grocery store. I look for a health food store or grocery store that carries gluten free food before I leave and buy food there in additional to bringing along my own food. I also bring along a lot more of my own food if I am not familiar with the area. I always bring along my own salad dressing.

Most high end hotels can accomadate a gluten free diet. It is best to contact the hotel in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
Daryl Newbie

I agree....travelling is a challenge. I've only had to go out of town (business) twice since diagnosed in the last 8 months. I too walked into the dining room with my cereal, which I think were panda puffs! Drinks were easy. The hotels I stay at have the continental breakfasts, so I asked the hostess to see teh ingrediants on the hot items (eggs & meat). One time I could have them, the other time no. Lunch is pretty much fast food...travelling mates are okay with that. Dinner, we always pick a steak house. I load up at the airport with chips and a candy bar, to eat in flight. I also had to travel with my son for three days with his 6th grade class to Jeckyl Island this past March. I called ahead and spoke with the dining manager. They made me my own meals when they could (based on the daily menu), but I brought along all of my own food too. I was the only one to load a cooler and bag of food onto the bus along with my suitcase. The kitchen crew offered me my own shelf in the cooler and for each meal, I excused myself fromt he line (when we were close) and went back into the kitchen to get my own food. I think some of the other adults (and kids) were a little envious of my meals.

It does work, but it's a little more of a pain to travel without the whole family thats used to the limitations.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer

Have you tried AltiPlano Gold instant quinoa? It's one of my favorite gluten-free products.

Open Original Shared Link

It's great for traveling because it only needs hot water (like instant oatmeal) and it has 5 gr of fiber/serving. Of course, if you just like the looks you get with your Panda Puffs and your business suit... <grin>

Archived