Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geeze

Diagnosed For 2 Months. Miss Sandwiches. Help?

I was diagnosed on 4/25/07 and am doing reasonably well but I so miss the quick-type meals such as a PB&J sandwich or even Spam sandwich. I never really have considered myself a bread eater but I do miss what you might call using bread as a vehicle for other things. Tomato vines in back yard are loaded and the thought of not having a fresh BLT bothers me. I know I can eat everything separately and do look forward to that. Does anyone have a suggestion about a gluten free sliced bread to buy, to make or something else I can use which will hold either peanut butter, spam or tomatoes. Thanks for any help. I am new at this forum and am not sure I am doing this correctly or whether I can get back to it but will try. Geeze

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was diagnosed on 4/25/07 and am doing reasonably well but I so miss the quick-type meals such as a PB&J sandwich or even Spam sandwich. I never really have considered myself a bread eater but I do miss what you might call using bread as a vehicle for other things. Tomato vines in back yard are loaded and the thought of not having a fresh BLT bothers me. I know I can eat everything separately and do look forward to that. Does anyone have a suggestion about a gluten free sliced bread to buy, to make or something else I can use which will hold either peanut butter, spam or tomatoes. Thanks for any help. I am new at this forum and am not sure I am doing this correctly or whether I can get back to it but will try. Geeze

There are sooo many gluten-free breads now Geeze, you can still have your sandwiches! Especially those like the BLT that you toast. Most gluten-free breads are best toasted unless you make them or buy them fresh. I even had a PB&J the other day on slightly toasted bread and it really hit the spot. Experiment with different brands until you find one you like :)

There's no doubt you have to change your eating habits and be more opened minded as to what is "good" food and what is "bad". But it's worth it to feel better!

For you it's BLT, for me I was dying for bologna on white bread with Miracle Whip. Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread is the closest thing to plain old white bread I've found in a Mix.

Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix was good all week not refrigerated and not toasted (unusual for a gluten-free bread)

GFP French Bread Mix makes a great crusty french bread when baked in a french bread pan.

I'm trying the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Bread Mix today.

If you miss a rye/pumpernickel type of bread, Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Hearty Whole Grain Bread Mix was really good.

If you miss bread as a vehicle for other things, I've found corn tortillas and rice paper wraps to be handy for some things. Sometimes you have to think outside the (bread)box and sometimes only sliced bread will do.

Also, Whole Foods has the best store bought gluten-free breads I've tasted but I haven't bought anymore since I started baking the mixes at home.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

Meat rollups are good. and BLT salad is pretty good.

as to replacement bread, I like the Millet Bread by Food For Life. My DH likes it too, more than regular bread. BUT everyone has their preferences in the gluten-free bread zone.

I find that I shouldn't eat too much bread anyway, but BLT's - that's mine too. Yum. I just had one yesterday.

This bread seems to be a favorite of everyone who's tried it. There's at least one 17 page thread about it. :) I have a loaf rising in my oven right now. This time I am cutting the milk in half to see if it stops the top from sinking while it cools. Whether it sinks or not, the bread is delicious. My very picky son will even eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if I make it with this bread. :D

http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

There are also some other tasty looking recipes on the recipezaar site if you search for "gluten free bread." Also look for other recipes by the above author.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Samis bakery in Tampa Fl. has a great millet,flaxseed bread. The best on I have found in two years of looking

I'm trying the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Bread Mix today.

I finished the Bob's Red Mill and posted a review at:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...st&p=318999

Tomorrow 2 slices for the co-worker with Celiac, 2 slices for my Mom and 2 slices for the guy at her church. That's my answer to preventing gluten-free baked goods from going stale. :-)

Karen B.

I can't do any kind of gluten-free bread very well - yeast bothers me way to much

But I miss sandwiches too - I recently switched to romain lettuce - even grew my own - as a wrap for my sandwiches. Great for tuna, grilled hamburgs, even had a gluten-free hotdog rolled up in the lettuce with mustard, was better than bread any day.

I like to eat almond butter ( better for you than peanut butter) on Mary's gone crackers. Very good, and good for you.

Also - I make gluten-free pancakes - Pamela's - I put jelly on them, kinda gives me a jelly filled donut fix - only better!!! I make up the whole package - freeze them in 3's in zip-locks, so I can have then anytime - my little girl loves to pop them in the microwave and eat them anytime she wants.

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings

I would suggest that you look in your area for Gluten free bakery. If your in the Northeast I suggest The Grainless Baker (www.thegrainlessbaker.com). They deliver bread to little health food stores all over the Northeast US and they also ship (though not in summer.. too hot). I love their bread better than any other premade, mixes are good but I don't have time or pacience to bake bread to make a PB&J. I get it frozen and just take out 2 slices at a time, nuke for 30 seconds and you have nice warm fresh bread. I also love their hamburger buns!

Anyway I say gluten free bakery all the way! They are all over, just gotta look!

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

I went thru all the types available at stores & learned to (forced myself to?) think they were worthwhile.

This was 3-4 yrs ago so no WholeFoods bakery yet or some of the other options mentioned above.

But then . . . . . . .visiting my sister who'd made some gluten-free bread quickly and easily in a bread machine, I was blown away.

I'm not particularly handy in the kitchen.

After I got home I bought a bread machine and some Bob's Red Mill mix and went to town!!! Bread was great again!

Even some friends' little kids loved it!

I'd advise homemade, w/ or w/out breadmachine.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Dear geeze,

Good news! Ener-G makes a decent gluten-free brown rice bread and rice bread! :) Do not get the tapioca loaf, though. I am talking bad news! I have to get their yeast-free, gluten-free rice bread. Dad picked up the kind with the yeast, and it is good, but bothers my system! No more after this! I have to go to my little healthfood store that carries it on my own I suppose! They are the only ones in town who carry the yeast-free one.

I also have a present for you! This is my gluten-free beginner's guide to welcome you to the forum! I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself eight months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margarine*

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (all Lea & Perrins Products are safe)

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Lite Mayo

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and *White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip*

Philadelphia Cream Cheese*

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)*

Snack Foods:

Utz Potato Chips (Found at Sam

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

I can't do any kind of gluten-free bread very well - yeast bothers me way to much

But I miss sandwiches too - I recently switched to romain lettuce - even grew my own - as a wrap for my sandwiches. Great for tuna, grilled hamburgs, even had a gluten-free hotdog rolled up in the lettuce with mustard, was better than bread any day.

I like to eat almond butter ( better for you than peanut butter) on Mary's gone crackers. Very good, and good for you.

Also - I make gluten-free pancakes - Pamela's - I put jelly on them, kinda gives me a jelly filled donut fix - only better!!! I make up the whole package - freeze them in 3's in zip-locks, so I can have then anytime - my little girl loves to pop them in the microwave and eat them anytime she wants.

Dear jmd3,

I am not supposed to have yeast either. I have a major overgrowth. I had not had it in months, but felt obligated to eat the bread with the yeast in it once my father brought it home the other day and paid $7.08 for each loaf. He did not go to the little healthfood store I normally get the yeast-free rice bread Ener-G makes that really does not taste bad. It just tastes like rice. It would be perfect for miniature pizzas! Just take the bread, put a little Classico Sweet Tomato Basil sauce on it, then top it with Kraft Fat-Free Shredded Mozzerella, and some Hormel Pepperoni, and voila!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Just FYI- Chebe bread doesn't have yeast. That's one of the reasons I make Chebe rolls for any family gathering, my sister can't eat yeast. Of course, another reason is that I like it. :-)

We normally make it with parmesan and put baking powder in it for a roll that tastes very similar to Schlotzsky's deli bread but I found using fat free cream cheese with no baking powder makes white bread rolls (the xanthan gum in the fat free cream cheese makes a difference). I posted the white bread recipe awhile back.

Since I introduced my sister to Chebe, she makes it a half package at a time when she gets a sandwich craving. She doesn't even use a mixer, just mixes it in a bowl with a fork and it still comes out good. You have to let it air for about 12 hours after baking instead of putting it away but it's a great yeast free bread.

Karen B.

Guest Doll

I hate rice bread, but I find that Glutino cornbread tastes awesome. Just toast it, add some glops of mayo, and you're good to go! You will need to add more condiments to any gluten-free product since it is usually quite dry.

Remember, you must ALWAYS toast your gluten-free bread, or it will crumble and/or taste like cardboard. Trust me, I know. :P

I hate rice bread, but I find that Glutino cornbread tastes awesome. Just toast it, add some glops of mayo, and you're good to go! You will need to add more condiments to any gluten-free product since it is usually quite dry.

Remember, you must ALWAYS toast your gluten-free bread, or it will crumble and/or taste like cardboard. Trust me, I know. :P

I've only found two exceptions to this rule...

1. Pamela's bread mix surprised me when I was half through a cold sandwich before I realized I hadn't heated it and it tasted good (and held together well)
  2. Chebe bread, when I make it with parmesan, is quite good and very durable. I take it for a meal on the go if I need bread that can hold up to a bit of bouncing around.

Karen B.

Dear Karen,

Thank you for reminding me about Chebe! I had forgotten about that! I should order some. That would stop some of the yeast madness! It really is driving me crazy!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

True for store-bought.

False for homemade!!!! :)

I made it the simplest way possible, after getting a breadmachine.

Add liquid, open bag, pour in, add yeast from packet.

Hit [sTART]

Awesome every time. :D No need whatsoever to toast, tho of course plenty was toasted and it's great then too.

Best is while still warm. Hit Start and go out & come home in awhile to the smell and that mmm MMM bread. :)

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Dear geeze,

Good news! Ener-G makes a decent gluten-free brown rice bread and rice bread! :) Do not get the tapioca loaf, though. I am talking bad news! I have to get their yeast-free, gluten-free rice bread. Dad picked up the kind with the yeast, and it is good, but bothers my system! No more after this! I have to go to my little healthfood store that carries it on my own I suppose! They are the only ones in town who carry the yeast-free one.

I also have a present for you! This is my gluten-free beginner's guide to welcome you to the forum! I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself eight months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margarine*

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (all Lea & Perrins Products are safe)

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Lite Mayo

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and *White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip*

Philadelphia Cream Cheese*

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)*

Snack Foods:

Utz Potato Chips (Found at Sam

For PB&J you might try using those puffed circular rice things, I remember someone saying that they did that with Peanut Butter and Honey. I don't care for PB&J or the puffed rice things so haven't tried it yet myself ; D

I have tried and liked, big tomato slices, lettuce leaves, and pineapple slices as a bun replacement for homemade hamburgers. All were tasty though a bit finger messy and condiment and juice drippy ; D Wrapping it up like they do in restaurants seems to help.

I've also had great luck using corn tortilla's, putting rice, meat, and cooked vegtables into it and rolling it or folding it into a wrap or taco. You can add any condiments to flavor it you like.

Dear Karen,

Thank you for reminding me about Chebe! I had forgotten about that! I should order some. That would stop some of the yeast madness! It really is driving me crazy!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I can have yeast but Chebe is still one of my favorites because it's quick, easy and one package can make so many different things. Let me know if you want any ideas on non-standard Chebe (although their website is pretty extensive on variations).

Karen B.

I can have yeast but Chebe is still one of my favorites because it's quick, easy and one package can make so many different things. Let me know if you want any ideas on non-standard Chebe (although their website is pretty extensive on variations).

Dear Karen,

I saw some Chebe cinnamon rolls. I would love to try those! I wish I could remember where I saw them though! I cannot remember which site I was on! I have been wanting some cinnamon rolls lately! I could also go for some pizza.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Dear Karen,

I saw some Chebe cinnamon rolls. I would love to try those! I wish I could remember where I saw them though! I cannot remember which site I was on! I have been wanting some cinnamon rolls lately! I could also go for some pizza.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

You can get it from http://www.chebe.com/order.htm. I buy the plain red package so I can turn it into whatever I'm hungry for.

Karen B.

You can get it from http://www.chebe.com/order.htm. I buy the plain red package so I can turn it into whatever I'm hungry for.

Dear Karen,

I went to that site, and was amazed! This is great! A versatile mix is especially good. The price is actually pretty low, too! Being on a tight budget, this could be doable! Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Have you tried making sandwiches in a sandwich grill or Panini press? I use Ener-G food LIGHT Tapioca bread and whatever fillings we all want (turkey and cheese, plain cheese, sliced chicken and onions, etc.) and grill them. The bread tastes great this way and even my non gluten-free kids love these sandwiches. It would work great with a BLT, if you added the "L" after grilling.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13