Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teacher1958

Glutened By My New Puppy?

I was suspicious that I was being glutened, but could not figure out what on earth I could have eaten, as I am fanatical about checking everything. I got a new puppy over a week ago, and the symptoms seem to have worsened, especially the joint pain and constipation. My friend says it's because I am exercising (walking) more and my body isn't used to it, but I think that when Max (the dog) kisses me around the mouth, he may be glutening me. It's not like he's sticking his tongue in my mouth (ick), but he does lick my face and close to my mouth. I checked his Eukanuba puppy chow, and that was safe, but his Snausages have wheat in them and his chewy treat bone may have wheat, too (I threw out the packaging).

The question is this: Has anyone here ever been glutened by their dog????? :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yep. My dog has accidentally licked me on the mouth before, and bam, I got sick. Now, I only feed him gluten free food--he eats Nutro's Lamb and Rice formula, and Pupperoni dog snacks.

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

Yep. My dog has accidentally licked me on the mouth before, and bam, I got sick. Now, I only feed him gluten free food--he eats Nutro's Lamb and Rice formula, and Pupperoni dog snacks.

Hi!

Yes, I believe it is possible- I've changed all my pets to Iams and NO doggie treats because of fear of cc. Although I don't have dogs that lick my face (have a thing about that, I guess), their food gets all over the place at times and it just seemed to make sense. No hard data here, just anecdotal evidence, but, there it is! I hope you feel better soon!

lisa

I always make sure that I wash my hands welll after feeding my dog. I stopped feeding her treats (she's too fat and needs to lose weight anyway).

My brother's dog likes to have cut up carrot sticks as treats. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the gluten, and it's healthier for dog too!

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic