BRCoats

Ankylosing Spondylitis

Rate this topic

Hi Guys and Gals,

Was wondering if anyone has AS and celiac both. I tested positive on the HLAB27 (gene marker) for the AS. I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but with the positive gene marker and the symptoms I"m having, it's likely. I'm seeing a rheumatologist next week. Anyway, I was wondering if it goes along with celiac, or if any or you have any experience with it.

Thanks for any info,

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I have AS and I'm also gluten sensitive. My AS is pretty mild and has gotten much better since getting off of grains and dairy. You might want to check out http://kickas.org a lot of folks there have had luck with a no-starch diet, which is essentially what I follow too.

I take sulfasalazine for my AS and it works pretty well in combination with my dietary practices and getting plenty of vitamin D.

I'd suggest trying the no-starch diet and seeing if it helps you out.

Was wondering if anyone has AS and celiac both. I tested positive on the HLAB27 (gene marker) for the AS. I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but with the positive gene marker and the symptoms I"m having, it's likely. I'm seeing a rheumatologist next week. Anyway, I was wondering if it goes along with celiac, or if any or you have any experience with it.

Hi, I am curious - I didn't know there was a test for AS. For years I have had a problem with my sacro/lower back and physios and chiros have told me its 'fused' in a perculiar way. One physio described it as almost spina bifida but not ( she had my xrays at the time ).Now I have pain in my rib cage area - also a perculiar restriction. What is this gene test and should I be concerned about my symptoms ? The stiffness is worse in the morning and improves with movement but not over exercise.

Some people don't have HLA B27 and still have AS as shown in xrays. Some doctors only diagnose on the basis of the gene test and fusing, others are more liberal about it. That morning stiffness thing and pain in the sciatic area are two hallmarks of the disease. Men usually have the disease worse than women getting more fusing. Women sometimes fuse but often just have lots of fibro pain. For me it was pain in every single joint and many tendons, including the ribs. It can attack the lungs and heart and eyes too. :(

Guest Doll
Hi Guys and Gals,

Thanks for any info,

I don't have any personal experience with AS, but it is also considered to be autoimmune in origin, just as Celiac Disease is. Both diseases are due to a "defective" or misguided immune response to an environmental trigger. There is likely shared genetic overlap among all autoimmune diseases, and the defective immune response offen causes more than one autoimmune disease.

This is why people with one autoimmune disease (Celiac, RA, MS, etc.) tend to develop more over time as their body is exposed to more and more potential triggers. Some suggest that special elimination diets may help "calm down" the immune system by decreasing exposure to foreign food proteins, but these foods are probably not the triggers themselves. If they are, they are likely secondary triggers. Likely viruses and/or bacteria are initially involved in the disease process.

I personally collect autoimmune diseases like stamps, so I know what it's like from personal experience! :P

Ads by Google:

I bet before long the connection between celiac disease, and every other autoimmune disease, will be better understood. My rhuematologist believes that it is caused by "leaky gut", and I think the leaky gut is caused by gluten.

Guest Doll
I bet before long the connection between celiac disease, and every other autoimmune disease, will be better understood. My rhuematologist believes that it is caused by "leaky gut", and I think the leaky gut is caused by gluten.

I also agree 100% that Autoimmune disease probably *are* caused by a leaky gut, but gluten is probably not the actual cause. It can make the problem worse, though. The reason why I say this is because people still go on to develop other autoimmune diseases, even if they have been on the gluten-free diet for some time, including since childhood. Also, removing gluten does not cause total remission of any autoimmune disease except Celiac (where it is the known trigger), with the possibility of some isolated (and perhaps unexplained) exceptions.

No one knows if a virus triggers the leaky gut first, or if a leaky gut simply lets more environmental toxins, viruses, etc. in to trigger autoimmune disease.

This is what I think the pathology of autoimmunity is:

-A shift in the good/bad bacteria in the gut causes the "leaky gut". Genetics may also play a role here.

-A virus or other intial trigger that enters the leaky gut sets off the autoimmune reaction. Probably different viruses for different autoimme diseases.

-The body now reacts to dietary proteins like gluten, which contain similiar molecular structures to the virus. In fact, if the gut is now leaky, it is letting in large amounts of foreign protein, which in and of itself will trigger an immune response.

I *personally* think gluten and other dietary proteins play a role and may accelerate autoimmune disease, but are not the actual cause.

They've already shown that gluten increases gut permeability in everyone. There may be be other things that do it also (bacteria, foods, viruses), but I think that's a good start to finding out what common things causes the gut to leak in the first place. I'd be willing to bet research that implicates Western culture's favorite foods doesn't get much attention or funding money.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Thanks for any info,

Hi, when I first became ill I suspected that I had AS in addition to Celiac, my mother has AS and I have a sister and brother with Celiac, so it seemed likely.

I kept investigating though and was diagnosed with Lyme disease last October.

:)

Hi, I am curious - I didn't know there was a test for AS. For years I have had a problem with my sacro/lower back and physios and chiros have told me its 'fused' in a perculiar way. One physio described it as almost spina bifida but not ( she had my xrays at the time ).Now I have pain in my rib cage area - also a perculiar restriction. What is this gene test and should I be concerned about my symptoms ? The stiffness is worse in the morning and improves with movement but not over exercise.

I would definitely get tested. The HLA-B27 is just to see if you have the gene. It's not a diagnosis. But with your symptoms and "fusing', I would say it's at least possible that you have AS. Google AS...you will find symptoms, one of which being morning stiffness. I am SO stiff in my neck and shoulders in the morning. It feels like someone stole some of my vertebraes in the night....like I don't have as much spine as when I went to sleep. It gets better with warm water and movement. I also found out that I'm real low on Vitamin D, which is probably the cause. So you might suggest testing that also.

Symptoms of AS do not improve with exercise, unless it's the right type. Such as swimming, which is easy on the joints. I can't hardly play baseball with my son because I'm sore for a week afterwards. Too jarring on the joints.

So yeah...get tested. It can't hurt anything.

Ads by Google:

I have AS and I'm also gluten sensitive. My AS is pretty mild and has gotten much better since getting off of grains and dairy. You might want to check out http://kickas.org a lot of folks there have had luck with a no-starch diet, which is essentially what I follow too.

I take sulfasalazine for my AS and it works pretty well in combination with my dietary practices and getting plenty of vitamin D.

I'd suggest trying the no-starch diet and seeing if it helps you out.

I am already off of all grains. I do eat a little bit of sugar, because I can't tolerate any fruts and veggies (good carbs!) due to my stomach condition (gastroparesis). With the celiac and the gp, I'm really in a bind....which is why I have all the vitamin deficiencies. I'd love to get off the sugar, but when I can't eat any other carb, my energy level goes right in the dumper.

I'm sure getting plenty of Vit. D is essential. I am currently 10 points below what they consider a low normal for Vit. D. so I'm exploring ways to get more (stomach won't handle any supplements either). I bought a Vit. D3 cream but this is my first day using it. So far, I'm doing good with it and it actually has relieved some pain (I put it directly on my spine).

It takes awhile but you can adjust to a low carb diet, takes about 2 weeks for most people to make the transition. The body has to switch from metabolizing glucose to using ketones for fuel and it requires switching to making different enzymes. I would advise you look into a Paleo diet, it includes fruit, nuts, veggies and meats and eggs, I feel very good on it and it is naturally starch free.

For Vitamin D ideas you might want to peruse this web site: http://vitamindcouncil.com

There's one doctor on the Internet who says the only sort of D that works for his patients is oil-based Vit D3 (cholecaliferol) that the stuff in multis or calcium pills just doesn't work. He suggests that you take enough of it to get to at least 50 (of whatever the range is), it is at the top of the range and that is about 4000 - 6000 iu of the stuff if you're not in the sun much. He writes quite often about D3 at Heart Scan Blog

It takes awhile but you can adjust to a low carb diet, takes about 2 weeks for most people to make the transition. The body has to switch from metabolizing glucose to using ketones for fuel and it requires switching to making different enzymes. I would advise you look into a Paleo diet, it includes fruit, nuts, veggies and meats and eggs, I feel very good on it and it is naturally starch free.

For Vitamin D ideas you might want to peruse this web site: http://vitamindcouncil.com

There's one doctor on the Internet who says the only sort of D that works for his patients is oil-based Vit D3 (cholecaliferol) that the stuff in multis or calcium pills just doesn't work. He suggests that you take enough of it to get to at least 50 (of whatever the range is), it is at the top of the range and that is about 4000 - 6000 iu of the stuff if you're not in the sun much. He writes quite often about D3 at Heart Scan Blog

Hey, thanks for that link. I'll check it out.

I know what it's like to stop sugar/carbs. Holy cow.....if I do that again, I'll start slowly. Die off of candida can be WAY torturous! :-)

I tested positive for HLA-B27 in 2001, when I was having bad, bad vision problems (uveitis) and digestion issues. I was sent to Houston's top rheumatologist, who turned me over to a group of young doctors on his staff. They told me that I was going to have to take medications for the rest of my life because I had the chance of developing a dangerous form of arthritis.

Can you believe that after four years of experimenting with me, my quack rheumatologists never ONCE had me take a food allergy test! No, they wanted to keep me on Big Pharma's Methotrexate and Remicade! I had toxic reactions to both of these meds, nearly died 3 times in the hospital, and decided to try a homeopathic doctor. Best decision I ever made!

Here, I got to take the Lame Advertisement food allergy test , the first food allergy test in my life at age 43. And guess what I tested "red flag" for? Barley, Rye, Wheat, Oats and many other things. I then had that blood test to specifically see if I had an immuno reaction to gliadin and gluten, and I did. So my homeopathic doctor is the one that ACCURATELY found out what was wrong with me in less than 8 weeks.

Since eliminating gluten, my so-called autoimmune problems have disappeared. I also avoid soy, and everything I eat is ORGANIC. I rarely go to restaurants to eat, and I have finally become comfortable living as a celiac. It's amazing how healthy I am today, compared to 5 years ago!

I assure you, this has saved my life. Had I stuck with the Rheumatology guys, I'm certain I would be dead by now. What's wrong with them?

Anyway, if I have accidental gluten exposure today, I immediately know it because my stomach and esophagus will get a "burning" feeling, and I will lose the vision in my left eye and get uveitis. It's not worth it. I won't touch gluten.

This is an interesting group. I am glad to have joined here.

PS - I have Type O Rh-Negative blood. I read on the Internet that a lot of people in the U.K. are both Rh-Negs and celiacs. Is anyone else here also Rh-Neg?

Geez, this forum will not let me post/write the actual name of the food allergy test I had. This was NOT me doing a promotional plug!

The Lame Advertisement Food Allergy Test....... hmmm.

Try this again: Lame AdvertisementTest

Have been suffering severe inflammation with AS for 12 years now. Great pain in my lower back, ribs, and neck. I started the no starch diet a week ago and i'm good enough to go for a run. I don't know why practitioners do not prescribe this diet? It's only the start, and i hope to help others suffering this condition (or similar auto immune conditions) without the need for them to opt for drastic alternatives like immune suppresants.

The builder of our house had AS and he would not go near gluten; he was directly responsible for me going gluten free to see if it helped my RA (it didn't :( )

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have found this discussion fascinating. I'm in the UK so I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your site :rolleyes:

A bit about my own history: I was diagnosed with coeliac disease aged 15 months in 1970 - As a baby I was quite sickly but as I grew older things settled down. I follow a strict gluten free diet.

About six months ago I developed Uveitis suddenly in my right eye and discovered I am HLA B27 positive. I noticed somebody had asked whether anybody else has coeliac disease and blood group O Rh Negative, I am (but am unsure of any connection)

Other things that have happened of late, coinciding with onset of the uveitis are, severe joint pain, particularly lower spine, knees and right ankle and new bowel problems, namely mucous and blood (which has thankfully settled down now).

The first instance of uveitis lasted three months and was treated with dilating drops and prednisolone corticosteroid drops every few hours. A month ago the uveitis returned in my left eye, but has settled down much faster. I have now been referred to a rheumatologist, who I see in March as they suspect anklosing sponylitis?

I wanted to ask whether anybody else had a similar experience to the above and if so what helped them. Also I wondered where I might find further information regarding a low starch diet?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Moodle

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 980 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.

Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 06/15/2018 - There seems to be widespread agreement in the published medical research reports that stuttering is driven by abnormalities in the brain. Sometimes these are the result of brain injuries resulting from a stroke. Other types of brain injuries can also result in stuttering. Patients with Parkinson’s disease who were treated with stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus, an area of the brain that regulates some motor functions, experienced a return or worsening of stuttering that improved when the stimulation was turned off (1). Similarly, stroke has also been reported in association with acquired stuttering (2). While there are some reports of psychological mechanisms underlying stuttering, a majority of reports seem to favor altered brain morphology and/or function as the root of stuttering (3). Reports of structural differences between the brain hemispheres that are absent in those who do not stutter are also common (4). About 5% of children stutter, beginning sometime around age 3, during the phase of speech acquisition. However, about 75% of these cases resolve without intervention, before reaching their teens (5). Some cases of aphasia, a loss of speech production or understanding, have been reported in association with damage or changes to one or more of the language centers of the brain (6). Stuttering may sometimes arise from changes or damage to these same language centers (7). Thus, many stutterers have abnormalities in the same regions of the brain similar to those seen in aphasia.
    So how, you may ask, is all this related to gluten? As a starting point, one report from the medical literature identifies a patient who developed aphasia after admission for severe diarrhea. By the time celiac disease was diagnosed, he had completely lost his faculty of speech. However, his speech and normal bowel function gradually returned after beginning a gluten free diet (8). This finding was so controversial at the time of publication (1988) that the authors chose to remain anonymous. Nonetheless, it is a valuable clue that suggests gluten as a factor in compromised speech production. At about the same time (late 1980’s) reports of connections between untreated celiac disease and seizures/epilepsy were emerging in the medical literature (9).
    With the advent of the Internet a whole new field of anecdotal information was emerging, connecting a variety of neurological symptoms to celiac disease. While many medical practitioners and researchers were casting aspersions on these assertions, a select few chose to explore such claims using scientific research designs and methods. While connections between stuttering and gluten consumption seem to have been overlooked by the medical research community, there is a rich literature on the Internet that cries out for more structured investigation of this connection. Conversely, perhaps a publication bias of the peer review process excludes work that explores this connection.
    Whatever the reason that stuttering has not been reported in the medical literature in association with gluten ingestion, a number of personal disclosures and comments suggesting a connection between gluten and stuttering can be found on the Internet. Abid Hussain, in an article about food allergy and stuttering said: “The most common food allergy prevalent in stutterers is that of gluten which has been found to aggravate the stutter” (10). Similarly, Craig Forsythe posted an article that includes five cases of self-reporting individuals who believe that their stuttering is or was connected to gluten, one of whom also experiences stuttering from foods containing yeast (11). The same site contains one report of a stutterer who has had no relief despite following a gluten free diet for 20 years (11). Another stutterer, Jay88, reports the complete disappearance of her/his stammer on a gluten free diet (12). Doubtless there are many more such anecdotes to be found on the Internet* but we have to question them, exercising more skepticism than we might when reading similar claims in a peer reviewed scientific or medical journal.
    There are many reports in such journals connecting brain and neurological ailments with gluten, so it is not much of a stretch, on that basis alone, to suspect that stuttering may be a symptom of the gluten syndrome. Rodney Ford has even characterized celiac disease as an ailment that may begin through gluten-induced neurological damage (13) and Marios Hadjivassiliou and his group of neurologists and neurological investigators have devoted considerable time and effort to research that reveals gluten as an important factor in a majority of neurological diseases of unknown origin (14) which, as I have pointed out previously, includes most neurological ailments.
    My own experience with stuttering is limited. I stuttered as a child when I became nervous, upset, or self-conscious. Although I have been gluten free for many years, I haven’t noticed any impact on my inclination to stutter when upset. I don’t know if they are related, but I have also had challenges with speaking when distressed and I have noticed a substantial improvement in this area since removing gluten from my diet. Nonetheless, I have long wondered if there is a connection between gluten consumption and stuttering. Having done the research for this article, I would now encourage stutterers to try a gluten free diet for six months to see if it will reduce or eliminate their stutter. Meanwhile, I hope that some investigator out there will research this matter, publish her findings, and start the ball rolling toward getting some definitive answers to this question.
    Sources:
    1. Toft M, Dietrichs E. Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease--two cases. BMC Neurol. 2011 Apr 8;11:44.
    2. Tani T, Sakai Y. Stuttering after right cerebellar infarction: a case study. J Fluency Disord. 2010 Jun;35(2):141-5. Epub 2010 Mar 15.
    3. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    4. Jäncke L, Hänggi J, Steinmetz H. Morphological brain differences between adult stutterers and non-stutterers. BMC Neurol. 2004 Dec 10;4(1):23.
    5. Kell CA, Neumann K, von Kriegstein K, Posenenske C, von Gudenberg AW, Euler H, Giraud AL. How the brain repairs stuttering. Brain. 2009 Oct;132(Pt 10):2747-60. Epub 2009 Aug 26.
    6. Galantucci S, Tartaglia MC, Wilson SM, Henry ML, Filippi M, Agosta F, Dronkers NF, Henry RG, Ogar JM, Miller BL, Gorno-Tempini ML. White matter damage in primary progressive aphasias: a diffusion tensor tractography study. Brain. 2011 Jun 11.
    7. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    8. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct 27;319(17):1139-48
    9. Molteni N, Bardella MT, Baldassarri AR, Bianchi PA. Celiac disease associated with epilepsy and intracranial calcifications: report of two patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988 Sep;83(9):992-4.
    10. http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Allergy-and-Stuttering-Link&id=1235725 
    11. http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/stuttering_allergies.htm 
    12. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/73362-any-help-is-appreciated/
    13. Ford RP. The gluten syndrome: a neurological disease. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Sep;73(3):438-40. Epub 2009 Apr 29.
    14. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/14/2018 - Refractory celiac disease type II (RCDII) is a rare complication of celiac disease that has high death rates. To diagnose RCDII, doctors identify a clonal population of phenotypically aberrant intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs). 
    However, researchers really don’t have much data regarding the frequency and significance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. Such data could provide useful comparison information for patients with RCDII, among other things.
    To that end, a research team recently set out to try to get some information about the frequency and importance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. The research team included Shafinaz Hussein, Tatyana Gindin, Stephen M Lagana, Carolina Arguelles-Grande, Suneeta Krishnareddy, Bachir Alobeid, Suzanne K Lewis, Mahesh M Mansukhani, Peter H R Green, and Govind Bhagat.
    They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, and the Department of Medicine at the Celiac Disease Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA. Their team analyzed results of TCR-GR analyses performed on SB biopsies at our institution over a 3-year period, which were obtained from eight active celiac disease, 172 celiac disease on gluten-free diet, 33 RCDI, and three RCDII patients and 14 patients without celiac disease. 
    Clonal TCR-GRs are not infrequent in cases lacking features of RCDII, while PCPs are frequent in all disease phases. TCR-GR results should be assessed in conjunction with immunophenotypic, histological and clinical findings for appropriate diagnosis and classification of RCD.
    The team divided the TCR-GR patterns into clonal, polyclonal and prominent clonal peaks (PCPs), and correlated these patterns with clinical and pathological features. In all, they detected clonal TCR-GR products in biopsies from 67% of patients with RCDII, 17% of patients with RCDI and 6% of patients with gluten-free diet. They found PCPs in all disease phases, but saw no significant difference in the TCR-GR patterns between the non-RCDII disease categories (p=0.39). 
    They also noted a higher frequency of surface CD3(−) IELs in cases with clonal TCR-GR, but the PCP pattern showed no associations with any clinical or pathological feature. 
    Repeat biopsy showed that the clonal or PCP pattern persisted for up to 2 years with no evidence of RCDII. The study indicates that better understanding of clonal T cell receptor gene rearrangements may help researchers improve refractory celiac diagnosis. 
    Source:
    Journal of Clinical Pathologyhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2018-205023

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/13/2018 - There have been numerous reports that olmesartan, aka Benicar, seems to trigger sprue‐like enteropathy in many patients, but so far, studies have produced mixed results, and there really hasn’t been a rigorous study of the issue. A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether olmesartan is associated with a higher rate of enteropathy compared with other angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs).
    The research team included Y.‐H. Dong; Y. Jin; TN Tsacogianis; M He; PH Hsieh; and JJ Gagne. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA, USA; the Faculty of Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Science at National Yang‐Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan; and the Department of Hepato‐Gastroenterology, Chi Mei Medical Center in Tainan, Taiwan.
    To get solid data on the issue, the team conducted a cohort study among ARB initiators in 5 US claims databases covering numerous health insurers. They used Cox regression models to estimate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for enteropathy‐related outcomes, including celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy. In all, they found nearly two million eligible patients. 
    They then assessed those patients and compared the results for olmesartan initiators to initiators of other ARBs after propensity score (PS) matching. They found unadjusted incidence rates of 0.82, 1.41, 1.66 and 29.20 per 1,000 person‐years for celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy respectively. 
    After PS matching comparing olmesartan to other ARBs, hazard ratios were 1.21 (95% CI, 1.05‐1.40), 1.00 (95% CI, 0.88‐1.13), 1.22 (95% CI, 1.10‐1.36) and 1.04 (95% CI, 1.01‐1.07) for each outcome. Patients aged 65 years and older showed greater hazard ratios for celiac disease, as did patients receiving treatment for more than 1 year, and patients receiving higher cumulative olmesartan doses.
    This is the first comprehensive multi‐database study to document a higher rate of enteropathy in olmesartan initiators as compared to initiators of other ARBs, though absolute rates were low for both groups.
    Source:
    Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/12/2018 - A life-long gluten-free diet is the only proven treatment for celiac disease. However, current methods for assessing gluten-free diet compliance are lack the sensitivity to detect occasional dietary transgressions that may cause gut mucosal damage. So, basically, there’s currently no good way to tell if celiac patients are suffering gut damage from low-level gluten contamination.
    A team of researchers recently set out to develop a method to determine gluten intake and monitor gluten-free dietary compliance in patients with celiac disease, and to determine its correlation with mucosal damage. The research team included ML Moreno, Á Cebolla, A Muñoz-Suano, C Carrillo-Carrion, I Comino, Á Pizarro, F León, A Rodríguez-Herrera, and C Sousa. They are variously affiliated with Facultad de Farmacia, Departamento de Microbiología y Parasitología, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain; Biomedal S.L., Sevilla, Spain; Unidad Clínica de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío, Sevilla, Spain; Celimmune, Bethesda, Maryland, USA; and the Unidad de Gastroenterología y Nutrición, Instituto Hispalense de Pediatría, Sevilla, Spain.
    For their study, the team collected urine samples from 76 healthy subjects and 58 patients with celiac disease subjected to different gluten dietary conditions. To quantify gluten immunogenic peptides in solid-phase extracted urines, the team used a lateral flow test (LFT) with the highly sensitive and specific G12 monoclonal antibody for the most dominant GIPs and an LFT reader. 
    They detected GIPs in concentrated urines from healthy individuals previously subjected to gluten-free diet as early as 4-6 h after single gluten intake, and for 1-2 days afterward. The urine test showed gluten ingestion in about 50% of patients. Biopsy analysis showed that nearly 9 out of 10 celiac patients with no villous atrophy had no detectable GIP in urine, while all patients with quantifiable GIP in urine showed signs of gut damage.
    The ability to use GIP in urine to reveal gluten consumption will likely help lead to new and non-invasive methods for monitoring gluten-free diet compliance. The test is sensitive, specific and simple enough for clinical monitoring of celiac patients, as well as for basic and clinical research applications including drug development.
    Source:
    Gut. 2017 Feb;66(2):250-257.  doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2015-310148.