This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Stock

alamaz

alamaz Collaborator

I would like to try making my own chicken stock instead of using the salty boxed stuff. How long can I keep it in the fridge before it would go bad? Can I freeze it? And finally, does any one have a tasty but fairly simple recipe I can follow preferrably one that would be made in the crock pot? or I can wait until the weekend to make it on the stove if I need to.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NewGFMom Contributor

Chicken stock can be made of pretty much anything. Just take some leftover chicken or turkey (raw or cooked), put it in a pot of water with every veggie and fresh herb that is about to go bad and boil it for an hour or so. (cellery leaves and dill stems are particular favorites) Skim the fat off the top with a big spoon.

The best way to freeze it is in ice cube trays. When it's frozen, tip the stock cubes out into a ziplock bag and you only use what you need. It keeps GREAT in the freezer.

ArtGirl Enthusiast
The best way to freeze it is in ice cube trays. When it's frozen, tip the stock cubes out into a ziplock bag and you only use what you need. It keeps GREAT in the freezer.

That's what I do, too.

I would think that you could put everything in the crockpot and it would work just as well as on stovetop. I like to include dark meat because it give the stock a more full-bodied flavor than just white meat. When I plan ahead I purchase thigh/leg parts for the stock.

A couple ways I make a little extra broth to freeze for later...

After deboning chicken breasts I'll put the bones that still have a little meat left on them in some water and simmer for an hour or so while I'm cooking a meal (add chopped celery, carrots, onion and garlic, etc., which I then drain off).

Also, if I have a roasted chicken (usually from the health food store), after I take the meat off the bones, I stick the carcas in a pot of water (with the skin because that's where most of the seasoning is) and simmer it with perhaps some onion to make a slightly different flavored chicken stock.

All this reminds me that I only have a few cubes of stock left in the freezer - a good excuse for picking up a roasted chicken this week.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Ball (the canning jar people) also have a product for freezing liquids. Its plastic, holds a cup of liquid, has a screw on lid and designed so they can stack on top of each other. I found them at Wal-Mart. I plan on using mine for cream of chicken soup. I bought some really nasty gluten-free cream of chicken and decided I could do better myself. I'm assuming it will freeze OK - it can't be any worse than what I bought. <_<

tarnalberry Community Regular

I freeze larger batches than ice cube trays, because I've never had a recipe that called for less than two cups! ;)

But yeah... I usually take the chicken carcass (and juices) from a baked chicken, cook 'em in a pot w/ some herbs (italian) and veggies (carrots, onions, celery), for quite a while, and then take out all the chunks. ;)

zansu Rookie

some stores that butcher (as opposed to the ones that get the meat already cut) will also sell you necks at a very low cost. They add great flavor to the stock and are cheap (maybe free).

ArtGirl Enthusiast
How long can I keep it in the fridge before it would go bad? Can I freeze it?

To answer your question. If I remember correctly, you can keep broth/stock in the 'fridge for 3-5 days, then if you return it to a saucepan and simmer for 5-10 minutes, you can extend the life for another 3-5 days.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alamaz Collaborator

that doesn't sound so hard even though i was under the impression you put a whole fryer chicken in a pot of boiling water. it sounds like all i need is the "leftovers" and maybe a few bones and dark meat pieces. cool. thanks!

Cheri A Contributor

I also like to make my own chicken stock.

I like to use a rotisserie chicken carcass in the crock pot with chunks of celery, carrots and onion (with skin for golden color). I also put in a few cloves of garlic and whatever seasonings I feel like. I usually use Mrs. Dash, basil, thyme, celery salt. I let it go for a LONG time on low (12 hours or so).

After cooling and skimming the fat, I usually put it in freezer ziploc bags in 2 cup portions and freeze flat so I can stack them up. Takes up less freezer space and thaws out quickly!

Archived