This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A New Weight Loss Support/accountability Thread

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

I loved the old weight loss support thread and was active on it, but it kind of died and lots of the people who were on there no longer post here. Would anyone else like to join me in a new thread where we can encourage each other, give advice (when asked for), support each other and have a way to be "accountable"?

I lost 12 pounds earlier this year, but have gained 3 back. I'm looking to lose 15 more by the time school starts in the fall. I need to eat relatively low carb - lots of lean chicken, turkey, fish, non-starchy vegetables, moderate amounts of fruit, nuts, avacados and 1-2 small servings of grain products a day. No sugar, chips, junk food or processed food. I'll be giving up chocolate until my birthday on Sept. 3rd. It helped last time - I gave up chocolate for Lent.

I hope some of you will join me! Jerseyangel, Kaycee, Fajitas, Electra? Anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Janeti Apprentice
I loved the old weight loss support thread and was active on it, but it kind of died and lots of the people who were on there no longer post here. Would anyone else like to join me in a new thread where we can encourage each other, give advice (when asked for), support each other and have a way to be "accountable"?

I lost 12 pounds earlier this year, but have gained 3 back. I'm looking to lose 15 more by the time school starts in the fall. I need to eat relatively low carb - lots of lean chicken, turkey, fish, non-starchy vegetables, moderate amounts of fruit, nuts, avacados and 1-2 small servings of grain products a day. No sugar, chips, junk food or processed food. I'll be giving up chocolate until my birthday on Sept. 3rd. It helped last time - I gave up chocolate for Lent.

I hope some of you will join me! Jerseyangel, Kaycee, Fajitas, Electra? Anyone else?

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME, I AM LOOKING TO LOSE 20 LBS. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHAT IS MEANT BY A NEW THREAD, MAYBE YOU CAN EXPLAIN THAT TO ME.(A NEW TOPIC?) SO HOW ARE WE LOSING THE WEIGHT?? I AM READY TO GO...JANET

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I'll join in, I would like to lose 20lbs or so. I used to weigh about 135...and now I am over 150 and I don't like the way I look. I want to get back down again. This sounds like a plan.

lonewolf Collaborator

Yay! I'm glad to have company. Welcome Amanda and Janet! Janet - a "thread" is a series of messages about one topic. This will be the 4th message in this "thread".

This is what we did on our old thread - introduce ourselves, tell what our goals are and then each day, when possible, write down what we've eaten.

I'm a busy mom to 4 kids ages 15, 14, 12 and 10. I'm a PE teacher (half-time) and basketball coach. I'm embarrassed that I'm overweight and want to be a better role model to my kids at school and at home. I'm pretty muscular, so I'll be happy to get down to 150 pounds at 5'7". After that, I'd like to aim for 140.

This is what I've eaten today:

Breakfast: leftover salmon from dinner last night

Lunch: stir-fried chicken, onions, peppers and celery

Snack: 8 strawberries

Dinner: 3 chicken tenderloins cooked in barbecue sauce, 1/2 C Rice, 1/2 C green beans

And I exercised for a little over an hour at our community center on cardio and weights.

Janeti Apprentice
Yay! I'm glad to have company. Welcome Amanda and Janet! Janet - a "thread" is a series of messages about one topic. This will be the 4th message in this "thread".

This is what we did on our old thread - introduce ourselves, tell what our goals are and then each day, when possible, write down what we've eaten.

I'm a busy mom to 4 kids ages 15, 14, 12 and 10. I'm a PE teacher (half-time) and basketball coach. I'm embarrassed that I'm overweight and want to be a better role model to my kids at school and at home. I'm pretty muscular, so I'll be happy to get down to 150 pounds at 5'7". After that, I'd like to aim for 140.

This is what I've eaten so far today:

Breakfast: leftover salmon from dinner last night

Lunch: stir-fried chicken, onions, peppers and celery

It's not a lot so far, but I always start out a new diet with great willpower. I'll edit later tonight to add my dinner and any snacks.

WELL, THIS PAST COUPLE OF DAYS, I HAVE BEEN FEELING SICK. I WAS SO EXCITED THAT I FINALLY FOUND A DELICIOUS PANCAKE BATTER, LATER IN THE DAY I STARTED GETTING THAT WAVE OF NAUSEA, ALONG WITH THE STOMACH PAIN. SURE ENOUGH I CALLED THE COMPANY WHO MAKES THE PANCAKE SYRUP, AND YES, IT HAS GLUTEN, YUK.

SO, THIS MORNING I HAD CEREAL

LUNCH, PLAIN BROWN RICE

DINNER, STIR FRY CHICKEN WITH A SALAD. I AM DONE FOR TODAY.

I THINK MY PROBLEM IS LUNCH AT WORK. I HAVE TO BRING SOMETHING WITH ME, I CAN'T TRUST WHAT THEY HAVE IN THE CAFETERIA. THEN I COME HOME AT 2 IN THE AFTERNOON, AND DON'T EAT DINNER TIL 6:15 WHEN MY HUSBAND COMES HOME. THATS WHEN I START EATING JUNK...IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. WHY DO I NEED TO EAT IN BETWEEN? I FEEL A LITTLE HUNGRY, THEN I START PICKING, AND THEN I'M ON A ROLL. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

lonewolf Collaborator
SO, THIS MORNING I HAD CEREAL

LUNCH, PLAIN BROWN RICE

DINNER, STIR FRY CHICKEN WITH A SALAD. I AM DONE FOR TODAY.

WHY DO I NEED TO EAT IN BETWEEN? I FEEL A LITTLE HUNGRY, THEN I START PICKING, AND THEN I'M ON A ROLL. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Hi Janet,

You might want to add a bit of protein to each meal. It helps you stay full longer and helps keep your blood sugar stable so you don't get bad cravings. You also might want to have a piece of fruit for an afternoon snack. Or maybe something like an apple with a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter. Also, if I don't eat enough, I eat WAAYY more in the evenings than I should. Remember that it's not good to go under 1200 calories each day.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Everyone

Breakfast-Raspberry Banana and a single serve OJ

Snack-handful of Glutino Pretzels and some peanut butter

Lunch-Salad (homemade) Baby Greens, Cherry Tomatos, a sprinkling of fresh grated parm. cheese and Iced Tea

Snack- blueberries

Supper-grilled chicken patty (bell and evans) and a baked potato with sour cream as a topping

desert---I was bad but I had two scoops of Wegmans Peanut Butter Ice cream

I did 15 laps in the pool after work, I would have did more but with the heat today the severe storms started moving in by 5:30.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

This sounds like a great thread. It's great that we all want to help each other out. I have had a wieght problem since the third grade. Nothing from exersice to any diet plan has ever worked for me untill now. A month ago I was about 95lbs over wieght. I feel GREAT. Lots of energy and I am not even hungry. I find it hard to believe myself but I am not even craving anything. I am also for the first time since I donno when actually sleeping through the night. I think on top of celiac I have leaky gut and that seems to be slowly improving as well. I am also impresed that I found somthing that is all natural to help me out. The most hard to believe part for me though is that I have lost 16lbs in the last 3 weeks!!!! I can't tell you what I am taking as I don't want to get kicked off this board as I now am selling there products. I can tell you that drinking lots of water is sapossed to help as you need that to flush lots of things out of your body. I am told take your wieght and devide it in half and that is the # of oz you are sapossed to drink each day. I hope we all have success and that this thread helps keep us all motivated.

Breakfast:Shake

Snack:Cheese

Lunch:Shake

Snack:Pirate Booty

Dinner:Steak, garden green beans, baked french fries

Snack:Peanuts

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Hannahsue! I'm glad you've been having success at starting to lose weight. Happy you decided to join us.

Kaycee Collaborator

Lonewolf, I'm here, you have wound me in.

I will talk in kilos, not pounds.

Since about April I have lost 3 kilos, from 83 (183lbs) to 80kgs (175lbs). So I am getting there, oh so slowly, and my eating habits are much better. I think acceptance and coming to terms of being gluten free helps.

For breakfast: Rice porridge with dried fruit and yoghurt.

Lunch, mandarins (from my tree) kiwi, noodles in a cup (Rice), a few rice crackers

Tea Leftover potato and kumara from last night with onion and tomato and mushrooms.

Had ice cream for dessert.

That wasn't really healthy healthy, but calorie wise pretty reasonable.

Cathy

UR Groovy Explorer

Hey there Liz,

I'm glad to hear that you're still working out at the community center. That sounded like a pretty sweet deal for you. Sorry you've not lost more weight, but there's no time like the present to turn it around. So, let's get some accountability going here.

Me:

I'm going to give it my best shot. I dropped out last time out of sheer embarrassment for how completely unmotivated i was. For me, nothing has changed, really (no great surprise). I still weigh precisely 158. I'd love to be around 150 - anything less & I look like a bag of bones. This time, I don't think it's about the pounds for me, though. I think it's more about my muscle mass. I turned 40 this summer - and doesn't that say it all? My butt has fallen again - my waist is the same size as my hips again, & my cellulite has taken over in a most disturbing way.

My goals? Cardio - at least 20 minutes per day (even if it's just a walk) - once a week, it'd be nice to go for a hike & get a good hour or so in / Weights - structured workouts 5 days a week. I did it last summer & I can do it again. I'm going to glide into it one step at a time & try not to get too disturbed when I fall off the wagon - because I will fall off the wagon. One thing that changed around my 40th was that I just don't give a hoot what anybody thinks anymore - it's freeing, really. I figure I've lived past my projected lifespan - what the heck can I lose ? Heck, I may even make it to 50 if I get things together.

As for food, I'm just a mess. I'll try to track my food at some point, but I'm not making any promises - I'm not known for being on top of things.

Cathy,

Good to 'see' you.

Amanda, Janet, Hannasue,

I'm looking forward to battling the bulge with you !

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Cathy (Kaycee) and Kathy (Fajitas)! I'm so glad you're up for this again!

Cathy - that's great that you've continued to lose weight since our old thread died. That's when I stopped.

Kathy - your exercise goal is great. I always feel better when I exercise regularly too.

Thanks to everyone who has jumped on board. I hope we can all help each other out so we can reach our goals. I'm already more motivated now than I was a few days ago.

confused Community Regular

Im in, im starting my weight loss plan tommorow. So tommorow i will weigh in and let you all know what my plans are to lose. I know i have lost some weight since going gluten free well after i gianed like 10 the first few weeks, Last month i bought some size 10 shorts and they were tight and now they are not so tight, but i havent got on a scale to see what i weigh. i want to lose more inches then pounds lol. like 10 from my tummy lol. I would love to be an size 7 again, i was an 3/5 when i got married 8 yrs ago, and i need to get back in my dress in 2 yrs when we renew our vows.

Im glad we are going to support each other in this forum, im so excited

paula

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Paula! I'm trying to get my size 10 shorts to fit comfortably too, but I have no dream of getting into my wedding dress again. Three pregnancies did a whammy to my mid section and I'll never have a waistline like that again.

One thing that I forgot to ask all of you - do you want to have one official weigh-in day or just share as you lose the weight? It's always nice to rejoice with others when they report that they've lost one, two or three pounds (or a kilo). What do you all think?

confused Community Regular

I think an weigh in day would be great, in another weight lose board I am in, we weigh in on fridays cause its easier then on mondays when we might cheat a little on the weekend lol And if we see a good loss then we wont want to cheat during the weekend lol

paula

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi Everyone! Now don't be shy about posting your food intake! It's what helps keep me "honest" - knowing that I'm going to have to write it all out.

B - Small banana and 1-1/2 Tbs almond butter

L - Salad bar and health food store with chicken breast and balsamic vinaigrette

S - About 30 almonds

D - Chicken fajitas with onions and peppers, 2 corn tortillas, 1/4 C refried beans, a sprinkling of cheese and 1/2 med. tomato

And I got in another great workout.

Paula - I like your idea of weighing in on Fridays. I think next Friday will be a good time to start, unless anyone has already lost weight this week!

UR Groovy Explorer

Well, it looks like I'm inspired too. Let's see how long it lasts. Fridays are good, but I think I'll give you my waist size rather than weight. That's what I'm working toward - a 29-30 inch waist. I don't think my weight will change too much if I'm gaining muscle at the same time. Last time I did this, I lost 3 inches around the middle and only a few pounds - body mass changed drastically.

Exercise: Last night, I did Chest & Back (it was pretty great) with a 15 minute brisk walk. I won't be exercising today. I'm exhausted from working in the yard.

As far as food, I'm doing okay. No extra goodies last night - that's where it usually goes South.

MegGFBoston Rookie
SOUNDS GOOD TO ME, I AM LOOKING TO LOSE 20 LBS. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHAT IS MEANT BY A NEW THREAD, MAYBE YOU CAN EXPLAIN THAT TO ME.(A NEW TOPIC?) SO HOW ARE WE LOSING THE WEIGHT?? I AM READY TO GO...JANET

Hello all !

Perfect timing - thanks for posting, count me in to this group.

I too weighed 135 for years - jumped up to 150+ when I went gluten-free about 15 months ago and need to focus on getting back down. I just scheduled my physical for early Oct - I want to be back to 135 - 140 by then - it's doable with focus, EXERCISE and support from other GFfolks!

Meg

MegGFBoston Rookie

Excellent - summer, support and gluten free. Going Gluten Free wasn't a big deal for me - the 15 -20lb weight gain was and I'm going to do what I can before my annual physical in early Oct.

I think one weigh in day would be good - I'm currently around 155 and want to get to 135 - 140max

Meg

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Meg! Sounds like you have similar goals to a lot of the rest of us. Hope we can help support you.

Kathy - good for you to get into working out!

I did okay today. Was tempted to cheat at a barbecue tonight, but caught myself.

B - 2 chicken tenderloins with 1 Tbs. garlic sauce (I know, a weird breakfast) and 1/2 C raspberries

S - a large bite of raisins

L - chicken salad with a bit of goat cheese and Caesar dressing

S - a handful of sugar snap peas and carrot sticks

D - barbecued chicken (leg and thigh), large serving of pasta salad, small spoonful of baked beans, a few chunks of cantelope and honeydew melon

No real exercise today. My aunt is terminally ill in North Carolina and my mom wants to go see her, but doesn't want to go alone. (We're in the Seattle area.) I helped make travel arrangements for us today and spent a lot of time at the computer and phone.

UR Groovy Explorer

Hello everyone,

Hello Meg, glad you've joined us.

Hi Liz, sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm sure ti'll be nice for your Mom to have you there with her. Also, Liz, your food lixt always makes me hungry. Pasta Salad? Do you use Tinkyada? I've found that it's a little stiff if it's not heated up.

Scuze typo's: I'm having a tough time typing - burned 2 fingers last night - nasty, and, in addition to that, I'm sure I got glutened by cheese last night. Why am I eating cheese, you ask? No self control at all.

BUT - I wanted to put my weekend activity goals down in an effort to be accountable & spark some motivation.

I'm planning to go for a beach walk Sunday moring & a 20 minute walk tonight & do a tricep/bicep either today or tomorrow. There - I've said it. Now I just have to do it !

lonewolf Collaborator
Pasta Salad? Do you use Tinkyada? I've found that it's a little stiff if it's not heated up.

Why am I eating cheese, you ask? No self control at all.

I used Mrs. Leeper's "Organic Corn Vegetable Radiatore". It's brightly multi-colored and fun-shaped. It's great in pasta salads, but I've never used it for anything else. I think it was $3.79 for a 12 oz package. I've served it twice in the past month at big gatherings where just my 2 kids and I were gluten-free and everyone has complimented me on the taste. I think I use more Italian dressing than the recipe calls for and I use the full fat stuff - it seems to keep the pasta moist and pliable.

Don't beat yourself up about no self-control with the dairy. I had myself fooled into thinking I could eat dairy for a few weeks and was enjoying it immensely. That is, until my psoriasis broke out big time all over my arms, legs and a bit on my face. You'd think that after 11 years I'd have developed self-control and common sense about it, but cheese tastes SO good.

little d Enthusiast

I would like to join as well, I am looking to lose a least 30 lbs for my small frame of 4 11'

Friday

breakfast was on the run McDonalds bacon egg cheese mc griddle just a few bites and threw the rest away

lunch still on the run just a bite of my daughters chicken salad sandwich

dinner finally at home pork chop backed in the oven, and sautee'd mushrooms with butter and garlic they were good

I opted out from eating the corn and peas just don't like them but my daughter and husband love them

snack strawberry cheesecake yogurt

Saturday

Breakfast gluten-free french toast, milk, and coffee

skipped dinner because I was in a rush and family drama, more drama on the highway to get to work so I brought it with me to eat at work which I still haven't eaten and it is 10 pm so I am a little hungry now.

Donna

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Donna! I can't remember - are you gluten-free or someone in your family? Just wondering because I noticed the McDonald's food.

I didn't do too bad, but ate a bit too much today. At least I got 30 minutes of exercise in.

B - 1/2 large apple with about 1-1/2 Tbs almond butter

S - a thin slice of raw goat cheese

L - 3/4 C pasta salad, 3 small chicken tenderloins with a Tbs of garlic sauce, salad with fat free Italian dressing

S - a handful of raspberries and the other half of the apple

D - 3/4 C pasta salad, small spoonful (2-3 Tbs?) baked beans, rosemary-lime chicken breast, cooked carrots

little d Enthusiast

I am supposed to be gluten free but I ate partial of the sandwich, I know very bad for me to do but I did it anyway. I have not been diagnosed have been tested though and negative I was gluten free for 3 months strick and cause everything to be negative. Now I have DH patch on my wrist at least it looks and feels like DH so I am more careful with what I eat

for Dinner tonight at work

Salmon pattes, shells and cheese and natural potato fries and a Diet Dr pepper

the shells are not gluten free but organic I thought that I was ok with them but I am getting the flutters in my tummy and a little sleepier, so i guess i am not ok with them.

donna

Archived