Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walter S

How Do You Explain Celiac To Others?

Is there anything out there (a good book or website) that can help me to explain what Celiac is like to live with to my family? They just don't seem to get how tough it can be. If I get tired or weak or need a break thay get very impatient and just don't seem to get it! Thanks in advance for any input!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm in search of one of those too! lol Mine laid off a bit when they saw a reaction first hand and realized how quickly I go down hill and how long it akes me to recover. There are other who simi get it but don't understand CC and why my food really needs to be fixed seprately.

Is there anything out there (a good book or website) that can help me to explain what Celiac is like to live with to my family? They just don't seem to get how tough it can be. If I get tired or weak or need a break thay get very impatient and just don't seem to get it! Thanks in advance for any input!

I tell people that I have a genetic inability to digest the gluten protein. I also tell them that it's like a severe peanut allergy in that even a tiny amount can set things off. I tell them that because of this, if I eat gluten, I am at a much higher risk for other disorders, some of which may eventually be fatal. Truthfully, I learned over the years with other issues that family members can be some of the most damaging and hurtful people to a person's psychological well being. I don't feel obligated to spend time with them anymore.

I also like the book "Dangerous Grains" if you want to emphasize the seriousness of the disease and all its complications.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

The way I explained how I felt was to ask if they'd ever had a flu bug that drained all their energy. Where if you moved your arm or leg an inch it felt like you just ran a marathon. Most people can relate to that. I also liked how one person described getting glutened as being just like food poisoning.

I too like the book Dangerous Grains and recommended it to my family members. I doubt they've read it yet, since I was just diagnosed, but I hope they do. I also read Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic after I was diagnosed. I would recommend that more for the person WITH celiac.

I think Dangerous Grains would be better for family members to read, because I think the way they explain things would be easier for others to understand. The authors also talk a lot about non celiac gluten sensitivity, which they believe is far more common than celiac disease, and is also often overlooked.

Even if your family members are tested and don't have celiac, Dangerous Grains might make them think twice about eating gluten, and about whether or not they have a sensitivity to gluten, even if they don't have celiac disease. And of course it will help them understand what you're going through, and the diseases you're more susceptible to as a result of having celiac disease.