This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Have Celiac...son Has Allergies...wwyd?

ItchyMeredith

ItchyMeredith Contributor

What would you do???

I was just diagnosed as having celiac disease because of a skin biopsy that was positive for DH. I went gluten free on Saturday and I am amazed by how much better I feel already. I am still very itchy and the rash is just as bad as ever but I heard this can take a long time to clear up. What I mean when I say that I feel better is that I guess I was having minor digestive issues that I didn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Hi,

I am actually in the same position!! Weird! I have Celiacs. One child has severe nut allergy. My 2 yr old had growth and diarrhea, and rash problems, so we finally got the doctors to test her for Celiacs. Results inconclusive with one gene. Severe gastritis and other issues lead us to agree with the dr to take her off dairy. It has helped. But she still gets the itchies (her dairy reaction is diarrhea and foot and leg rash.) We are not always sure where she gets this rash from. So just recently we have talked about taking her off all gluten - to see what happens. She already eats what I jokingly call Gluten light. She eats whatever I eat. Snacks tend to have gluten, but all meals are almost gluten-free for her.

So in my opinion, ask the dr to check your child for Celiacs first. Blood work and gene test through Promethius labs. Then possibly a biopsy. Biopsy is the standard but sometimes it is really hard to get pediatricians to do a biopsy with good results on a 2 yr old without classic symptoms. You have Celiacs which should be enough of a reason to have your child tested.

IMO, it will be a lot easier to make the child stick to the diet if you have a positive bloodwork, gene, and biopsy as the reason. (Think rebellous teenager). If the tests come back negative and the eczema is still a problem, try the diet, it can't hurt.

For us, the daycare has been issue. Finding a daycare wiling to take in food allergic children isn't always easy. And elementary school has been pretty difficult with the food allergies.

Best of luck. Let me know if you need more info.

ItchyMeredith Contributor

Thank you for your input.

One more thing. He is rather skinny. I wouldn't say he is unhealthy but he is in the 50% percentile for height and 10% for weight. He was born HUGE at 9lbs 5oz and then tapered off to what he is today which is 26lbs at 28 months. His pediatrician isn't worried because other than the rashes he seems healthy.

HHHMMMMM?

Guest j_mommy

I would definetly get him in for a blood test. As you need to be eating gluten to have a true result. Prepare yourself before you go! The have to draw blood and I had to hold my son down on a bed while they did it....tramatic but atleast you will know. My son was negative...but he has the same weight issues. He is tall for his age and skinny(but tha could be from his dad). I am contimplating getting teh gene test done on him as well.

I woudl rather be safe than sorry...the blood test is short and all you have to do is call your ped and ask for it!

debmom Newbie
Hi,

I am actually in the same position!! Weird! I have Celiacs. One child has severe nut allergy. My 2 yr old had growth and diarrhea, and rash problems, so we finally got the doctors to test her for Celiacs. Results inconclusive with one gene. Severe gastritis and other issues lead us to agree with the dr to take her off dairy. It has helped. But she still gets the itchies (her dairy reaction is diarrhea and foot and leg rash.) We are not always sure where she gets this rash from. So just recently we have talked about taking her off all gluten - to see what happens. She already eats what I jokingly call Gluten light. She eats whatever I eat. Snacks tend to have gluten, but all meals are almost gluten-free for her.

So in my opinion, ask the dr to check your child for Celiacs first. Blood work and gene test through Promethius labs. Then possibly a biopsy. Biopsy is the standard but sometimes it is really hard to get pediatricians to do a biopsy with good results on a 2 yr old without classic symptoms. You have Celiacs which should be enough of a reason to have your child tested.

IMO, it will be a lot easier to make the child stick to the diet if you have a positive bloodwork, gene, and biopsy as the reason. (Think rebellous teenager). If the tests come back negative and the eczema is still a problem, try the diet, it can't hurt.

For us, the daycare has been issue. Finding a daycare wiling to take in food allergic children isn't always easy. And elementary school has been pretty difficult with the food allergies.

Best of luck. Let me know if you need more info.

debmom Newbie
What would you do???

I was just diagnosed as having celiac disease because of a skin biopsy that was positive for DH. I went gluten free on Saturday and I am amazed by how much better I feel already. I am still very itchy and the rash is just as bad as ever but I heard this can take a long time to clear up. What I mean when I say that I feel better is that I guess I was having minor digestive issues that I didn

debmom Newbie

I wish we had known when our daughter was a toddler what was going on. She was 15 when diagnosed and had just been diagnosed with several autoimmune diseases and allergies as well as chemical sensitivities. But she had trouble all her life with stomach pain and bowel problems, so it's been there all along.

I would have his blood tested but don't rely on the results too much. If they are negative or inconclusive, try the gluten free diet anyway for a while. It took six weeks for my daughter's most severe pain to abate, but she is pain free now and the diet is not a problem since she knows how much better she feels. Also there are so many new products just in the last year to try that it isn't as much of a burden as it once was. There are very few things she can't find a good substitute for and many restaurants with gluten-free menus including Chik-Fil-A and other fast food ones.

Good luck---

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived