Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sherryg

Child "detoxing" From Gluten

We're on week 2 of this gluten-free experience.

My 5 yr old is "detoxing" from gluten and has been tired, grumpy and has has major mood swings/melt downs all week. :unsure:

Is this part of the picture for some?

I thought it would help not make things worse!

Add to the fact that he's in his 3rd week of Lyme disease tx with antibiotics every day and aslo has been on a strict Feingold diet since he was 3 yrs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My 5 yr old is "detoxing" from gluten and has been tired, grumpy and has has major mood swings/melt downs all week. :unsure:

Add to the fact that he's in his 3rd week of Lyme disease tx with antibiotics every day and aslo has been on a strict Feingold diet since he was 3 yrs.

I was incredibly irritable. I also had moments where I felt the best I had ever felt, full of energy etc. An hour later I would crash and be looking at my wife like everything was her fault. Stick with it. 3 weeks was all it took for me.

I would say that some of this is from the gluten detox but in most caes it would be short lived. I'm guessing that much of this is due to the Lyme treatment and the toxins which are released as the bacteria is killed. This can happen in cycles and can cause mild to severe symptoms....meltdowns as you describe.

I'm curious as to whether or not your son is on the autism spectrum as Lyme disease is often found in kids on the spectrum? Also the Feingold diet as well as Gluten-free Casein-free can be very helpful for the kids.

I put myself on the Feingold diet about about a year and a half ago and its been helpful...I'm also gluten free. I also have Lyme but my infection is not very active and I'm not needing antibiotic treatment for it....therefore my Dr.'s have me on natural remedies for Lyme.

I did go through a major detox when first starting a very strict diet eliminating gluten , processed foods, sugar, etc. My symptoms worsened greatly....for me it lasted less than a week and then I felt better than I had in a long time.

Good luck and I hope your son feels better soon. :)

Rachel