Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ami27

I'm Starting To React To Corn Almost As Bad As Gluten

I was at the movies with my kids the other day and I ate 2 of their Starbursts. I have checked to make sure they are gluten free before. It was almost immediately after I ate them that I became unbelievably tired. I could not stay awake! Then for the next 2 days I felt like I had been glutened :( I'm just wondering if there are any other food intolerances I have. I realized corn tortillas gave me problems with fatigue. So I have just been avoiding obvious corn products. I know before I could handle corn syrup. Or maybe it was in smaller doses. Maybe Starburst has extra amounts of corn syrup. I did notice it is the first ingredient listed. I wonder if that makes a difference? I was shocked at how bad that made me feel. It seems like it's always something. Prior to this I had been feeling really good. So I think if I stay away from gluten and corn life is good for me and my family :) But, I'm still not back to 100% just from 2 little pieces of candy. This was almost a week ago.

Ami

I was at the movies with my kids the other day and I ate 2 of their Starbursts. I have checked to make sure they are gluten free before. It was almost immediately after I ate them that I became unbelievably tired. I could not stay awake! Then for the next 2 days I felt like I had been glutened :( I'm just wondering if there are any other food intolerances I have. I realized corn tortillas gave me problems with fatigue. So I have just been avoiding obvious corn products. I know before I could handle corn syrup. Or maybe it was in smaller doses. Maybe Starburst has extra amounts of corn syrup. I did notice it is the first ingredient listed. I wonder if that makes a difference? I was shocked at how bad that made me feel. It seems like it's always something. Prior to this I had been feeling really good. So I think if I stay away from gluten and corn life is good for me and my family :) But, I'm still not back to 100% just from 2 little pieces of candy. This was almost a week ago.

Ami

I have never found a corn tortilla that didn't have wheat in it. You might want to check again. (By the way, if you do know of a corn tortilla brand that doesn't have wheat in it, please let me know the brand. Thanks.)

I have never found a corn tortilla that didn't have wheat in it. You might want to check again. (By the way, if you do know of a corn tortilla brand that doesn't have wheat in it, please let me know the brand. Thanks.)

Thanks for the heads up. I have been eating corn tortillas thinking they were only corn. I kept wondering where I was getting gluten from. I swear I checked the pkg. but went back just now and looked sure enough in fine print manufactured in a plant that processes nuts and wheat. CC again and starting over.

Yellow Rose

The below information came from the mission website. I was eating mission brand corn tortillas. So cc could have been an issue, but they are not made with wheat intentionally. I haven't eaten them in months though so they aren't an issue for me anymore. These were the first thing I noticed causing me problems. There were many other corn products afterwards that confirmed that corn was not good for me. The Starburst was just the most recent. I didn't see any other ingredient in there that could have caused me a problem.

Are Mission Foods products gluten free?

Mission Foods Corn products are produced with 100% corn flour; wheat ingredients are not added to the formulation. These products include Corn Tortillas, Corn Tortilla Chips, Taco Shells, Tostadas, Corn Gorditas, and Sopes. These products are produced in plants that also process wheat tortillas.

Is there any wheat, rye, barley, or oats in corn tortillas?

No. Mission corn tortillas do not contain wheat, rye, barley, or oat ingredients.

Ami

Hello,

FYI, while Mission corn tortillas are gluten-free, they are still a processed food. From Mission web site:

"Ingredients: Whole Ground Corn Treated With Lime, Water, Cellulose Gum, Propionic Acid (To Preserve Freshness), Benzoic Acid and Phosphoric Acid (To Preserve Freshness), Guar Gum, Amylase."

The ingestion of