Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRUMI1968

My Step Dad Just Diagnosed

Okay. My step dad, who has given me nothing but grief about my weird celiac-eating habits (bringing my own cutting board to their house), has been diagnosed with DH. (Never mind my not very nice yet nonetheless slight feeling that karma has been exacted.)

He's getting blood tested for Celiac on Thursday.

Any advice I can give him on starting the gluten-free diet? He does not like to buy expensive food, and has never been into health food, so "organic" hippie stuff (like I eat) probably won't fly too well with him.

Please advise.

Also, his rash is going full boar -- so besides the diet, any advice on his skin?

Thanks, all!

Why is he getting the blood tests for celiac disease done now? If he has been diagnosed with DH, he automatically has a firm celiac disease diagnosis. The blood test may not be positive, since people with DH often don't have destroyed villi, because it affects their skin more than their intestines.

One piece of advice would be to stay away from iodized table salt, since large doses of iodine will trigger DH outbreaks.

And of course, a strict gluten-free diet is the only thing that will heal his rash. Unfortunately, it can take up to two years for the outbreaks to stop completely, even after going gluten-free.

I can't really help you with the diet stuff, since the 'hippie style diet' is all I can eat.

Okay. My step dad, who has given me nothing but grief about my weird celiac-eating habits (bringing my own cutting board to their house), has been diagnosed with DH. (Never mind my not very nice yet nonetheless slight feeling that karma has been exacted.)

He's getting blood tested for Celiac on Thursday.

Any advice I can give him on starting the gluten-free diet? He does not like to buy expensive food, and has never been into health food, so "organic" hippie stuff (like I eat) probably won't fly too well with him.

Please advise.

Also, his rash is going full boar -- so besides the diet, any advice on his skin?

Thanks, all!

You can tell him that potatos, rice and corn are okay.

If he's used to grabbing cheap food to go for a quick meal, give him gluten-free menus for a few places.

You know all the basics about a new toaster, colander etc.

And after he's craving some old favorites to the point of chewing his fingernails, I'd take him to Davinci's to show him why some things are worth the price. :-)

http://www.wheatlessinseattle.org/

Why is he getting the blood tests for celiac disease done now? If he has been diagnosed with DH, he automatically has a firm celiac disease diagnosis. The blood test may not be positive, since people with DH often don't have destroyed villi, because it affects their skin more than their intestines.

He goes to a clinic that requires this nonsense...I'm with you about the blood test. Thanks for reminding me about the iodized salt - I know he eats that. I'll get him to the non-iodized sea salt asap. Thanks.