Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sparkles

Wanted: Recipes For Beer Cheese Soup And Beer Battered Onion Rings And Fish

My son bought me some gluten-free beer and I am wondering if anyone has experimented with gluten-free Beer Cheese Soup or Beer battered onion rings or fish. I know....these are really JUNQUE foods but the soup used to be one of my favorite things to order and I would like to try to make it. I haven't been really successful at using gluten-free flours in the past so was wondering if anyone has experimented with the gluten-free beer.

If you don't mind me piggybacking on your beery topic -- anyone made a gluten-free beer bread yet to go with the beer cheese soup?

My son has been gluten-free/CF for 7 years. He always loved beer batter fish, so I experimented until I came up with a batter so good, that it is the only way I fry fish any more...for him and everyone. (Even company)

Please note that for some reason, if it is wet/raining this batter will not turn out properly... :o It sticks and is a mess. If it is a nice dry day, this is very close to resturant fish.

1 egg

1 Cup of White rice flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (important)

seasonings, (I use a good pinch of salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika)

1 to 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free beer, (until a thick pancake batter consistency)

mix well.

heat oil to 375 before frying

This batter is also good on Onion rings, morel mushrooms, jalapeno poppers...etc.

Gulia (Angie) has made some fried onion rings using gluten free pancake batter -- and they sure looked good.

Beer cheese soup sound wonderful. That, I would like to try.

Look at the Food Network. A couple weeks ago Tyler made homemade onion rings with rice flour, he says the rice flour is lighter and better tasting than regular gluten flour. Rice flour helps bring out the flavor of the onions. I think his show is something like Tyler the Ultimate or something like that. I copy tons of recipes off the food network, 90% of it is homemade and I can change a few things here and there that are gluten free and get the same tasty results. I LOVE the Food Network. Some of the other good cooks are the Barefoot Contessa, 30 Minute Meals by Racher Ray and even Paula's Cooking Party has some tasty dishes. You can copy the recipes right off of the Food Network.