Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kalila

Gluten Free Chocolate?

I'm new to this forum and the whole concept of Gluten free diets, so please take it easy on me.

My youngest sister is 6 years old, a bright little girl who I probably love most in my family. Since she was 3 she started lagging behind in development. Not so much, but she is a bit skinny and appears smaller than children her age.

Last month my parents took her for some medical checks, the doctor called them last week and was pretty clear: she has gluten allergy and she need a gluten free diet.

I spoke with her on the phone today and she took it with plain courage (she was the one who told me about it). My parents tell me she is pretty strict and asks them for any food that she's about to eat. However, she had to cut back on some of the stuff the enjoys most: cakes, french bread, Chocolate..etc

She is (was?) a chocolate freak. I see her only for a few months each year, and every time I buy loads of chocolate for her, stuff like Mars, Snickes, M&M's, Kinder, etc... It's sad if she can't eat stuff like that any more. I'm about to check if they are gluten free, if they are not, I'd have to find some alternatives. She lives in a 3rd world country, and stuff like Mars etc are not present there, most of the local chocolate brands have a very poor quality. I'll be visiting them next week so I don't have much time to play with.

The doctor told my parents that it will just be temporary, but I keep reading everywhere that gluten allergy is permanent.

I have to admit that I'm just starting to read about Gluten Diets. The concept was completely alien to me. I would appreciate if you could point to anywhere where I could read extensively on gluten free diets.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A great gluten-free nice chocolate is DAGOBA. It's a bit pricey, but is gluten free. I think some Hersheys might also be gluten-free - but I only eat Dagoba, since it only has all natural ingredients, uses fair trade chocolate, and is, I think, organic.

Good luck. It's nice to hear you care so much and want to be helpful.

I'm new to this forum and the whole concept of Gluten free diets, so please take it easy on me.

My youngest sister is 6 years old, a bright little girl who I probably love most in my family. Since she was 3 she started lagging behind in development. Not so much, but she is a bit skinny and appears smaller than children her age.

Last month my parents took her for some medical checks, the doctor called them last week and was pretty clear: she has gluten allergy and she need a gluten free diet.

I spoke with her on the phone today and she took it with plain courage (she was the one who told me about it). My parents tell me she is pretty strict and asks them for any food that she's about to eat. However, she had to cut back on some of the stuff the enjoys most: cakes, french bread, Chocolate..etc

She is (was?) a chocolate freak. I see her only for a few months each year, and every time I buy loads of chocolate for her, stuff like Mars, Snickes, M&M's, Kinder, etc... It's sad if she can't eat stuff like that any more. I'm about to check if they are gluten free, if they are not, I'd have to find some alternatives. She lives in a 3rd world country, and stuff like Mars etc are not present there, most of the local chocolate brands have a very poor quality. I'll be visiting them next week so I don't have much time to play with.

The doctor told my parents that it will just be temporary, but I keep reading everywhere that gluten allergy is permanent.

I have to admit that I'm just starting to read about Gluten Diets. The concept was completely alien to me. I would appreciate if you could point to anywhere where I could read extensively on gluten free diets.

Thanks

Kalila,

That is such a big question. I know many of us would be glad to help. Can you narrow it down a little? Recipes? Chocolates? Dos and Dont's?

If you are in the US, I believe M&M's are gluten-free.

The last time I checked, plain and peanut M&M's, 3 Musketeers, Milkyway Dark, Snickers, Butterfingers, Dove Promises were all gluten free.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.  
    How is one tested for Celiac Disease? I have had several endoscopes and the lower part too and none of the doctors have said anything about it. I have BIG issues with bloating, severe pain in my upper chest (under the chest bone), at times...