Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suffering in Ohio

Confusing Test Results

:angry: I have been suffering with abdominal pain for three years so far. I was told about a year ago that it was IBS. Nothing I took helped so I sought out a GI doctor. He has ran many tests but doesn't spend much time explaining things. I was but on Nexium for ahwile as they believed I had acid reflux. That didn't help. I started researching on my own. I believe whole heartedly that I have celiac but my blood tests came back negative. My symptoms are: extreme sensitivity to some foods causing stomach to be bloated, terrible gas, loose stools and frequent, fatigue, low iron, malnurished (result of a biopsy of intestines), achey joints, and burning sensation throughout stomach. The endoscopy revealed my intestines aren't absorbing nutrients and I have a very low iron count but my doctor doesn't seem concerned. Nothing was irregular with my colonoscopy. Any ideas? Should I totally rule out celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like you have a positive diagnosis via endoscopy. Sometimes the docs do not bother to tell you that. but if you have malabsoption proved via endscopy that = gold standard diagnosis celiac according to the doctors at this time. I will not go into the falsehood of that theory but we all agree that if you do have a positive biobsy that you do have celiac, just that it is a shame to wait until you are so damaged to get a diagnosis.

If I were you I would get the biopsy reports in writing and if possible get another doctor to check them. But from what I am reading that you are saying sounds like you have celiac but that they did not put a name on it. Not unusual, believe me, it happens to a lot of people. When you get the records you might see an actual written diagnosis that you were not told about.

welcome to the board. It seems a lot of the regulars are out for a summer break. I am just on here escaping the summer heat under the AC :)

I also like the testing thru Enterolab.com you can look up their website. If you are interested in going that route.

Read these boards & check out some books to get the full picture.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...
    I disagree with this statement.   Mental conditions are not "already there" in people with Celiac Disease.  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause changes in ...
    I'm a firm believer that celiac disease only aggravates mental conditions that are already there. The withdrawals can possibly cause mood issues like someone coming down off of drugs, alcohol or tobacco but it's not the gluten per se. Generally...