Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa Joy

Bread Machines

Hi Everyone.

I'm newly diagnosed and quickly realizing if I wasnt bread I'll have to make it myself.

I've noticed that BreadMan has a machine with a gluten free cycle and the reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Before I buy one I'd like opinions from those who have been at this a lot longer than me.

Any input about baking bread (any kind as I LOVE bread) or machines would be appreciated.

thanks to all. This forum is so helpful.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Everyone.

I'm newly diagnosed and quickly realizing if I wasnt bread I'll have to make it myself.

I've noticed that BreadMan has a machine with a gluten free cycle and the reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Before I buy one I'd like opinions from those who have been at this a lot longer than me.

Any input about baking bread (any kind as I LOVE bread) or machines would be appreciated.

thanks to all. This forum is so helpful.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I have a Breadman TR2500BC breadmachine that has the gluten free setting on it. I've used it 3 times and it does make good gluten free bread (better than the gluten free bread you can buy at the store). I was making it for my husband (he has celiac sprue) . But he was never a big bread person before he was diagnosed(he is more of a salad, steak, potato kind of guy) so now I do not make it anymore. I've only had it about two months. I am getting ready to put it up for sale.

Sue

I have a bread machine, but it doesn't have a gluten-free setting.....FWIW, my best bread is made in the regular oven.

Hopefully others will chime in about good bread machines.

I have a bread machine, but it doesn't have a gluten-free setting.....FWIW, my best bread is made in the regular oven.

Hopefully others will chime in about good bread machines.

I'd be interested in your input about baking bread. What kind of flour, etc do you find works/tastes best?

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I have a Breadman TR2500BC breadmachine that has the gluten free setting on it. I've used it 3 times and it does make good gluten free bread (better than the gluten free bread you can buy at the store). I was making it for my husband (he has celiac sprue) . But he was never a big bread person before he was diagnosed(he is more of a salad, steak, potato kind of guy) so now I do not make it anymore. I've only had it about two months. I am getting ready to put it up for sale.

Sue

Thanks for your input Sue. Where did you get your machine. What is Celiac sprue? I've seen this term a few times, but this is all still fairly new to me.

Thanks, Lisa

Thanks for your input Sue. Where did you get your machine. What is Celiac sprue? I've seen this term a few times, but this is all still fairly new to me.

Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I bought my bread machine at Home Depot. Celiac sprue is the medical term for celiac diease.

Thanks

Sue

I'd be interested in your input about baking bread. What kind of flour, etc do you find works/tastes best?

Thanks,

Lisa

I use Bob's Red Mill mix and follow the recipe pretty closely on the back. Except we bake it in two small loaves instead of a bigger one. http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.p...;product_ID=202

We use the regular gluten-free flour from them and make banana bread, in small loaves, also. I've posted my banana bread recipe on the forum before....if you can't find it through a search, let me know.

We make the banana bread more often than regular bread, but that's just cause I've somewhat lost my craving for bread. I have to keep the banana bread away from my husband, he absolutely LOVES it.

We use their mix for wonderful choc chip cookies also, we add more chocolate chips though...and my picture is of BRM's chocolate cake.

BTW...Celiac, Celiac Disease, Celiac Sprue, Coeliac (the European spelling)---all the same thing. Also non-tropical sprue is Celiac.

Thanks for the info.

Lisa

If you purchase a bread machine most of them come with a cookbook. I know the Breadman Ultimate plus does it has gluten free recipes in there and they tell you what kind of flour to use.

Sue

I use Bob's Red Mill mix and follow the recipe pretty closely on the back. Except we bake it in two small loaves instead of a bigger one. http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.p...;product_ID=202

We use the regular gluten-free flour from them and make banana bread, in small loaves, also. I've posted my banana bread recipe on the forum before....if you can't find it through a search, let me know.

We make the banana bread more often than regular bread, but that's just cause I've somewhat lost my craving for bread. I have to keep the banana bread away from my husband, he absolutely LOVES it.

We use their mix for wonderful choc chip cookies also, we add more chocolate chips though...and my picture is of BRM's chocolate cake.

BTW...Celiac, Celiac Disease, Celiac Sprue, Coeliac (the European spelling)---all the same thing. Also non-tropical sprue is Celiac.

Have you used Pamela's baking mix? I have read many places on the IN that it is a good one too.

So, you don't make reg bread, like for sandwhiches, etc? That is something that is hard for me to give up.

Non-tropical sprue?? Boy, this is all a whole new world.

Thanks for your replies.

Lisa

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.  
    How is one tested for Celiac Disease? I have had several endoscopes and the lower part too and none of the doctors have said anything about it. I have BIG issues with bloating, severe pain in my upper chest (under the chest bone), at times...