This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free And Vegetarian?

yellowcanary

yellowcanary Newbie

A history of celiac and me: my father and paternal aunt are celiac, with an additional paternal aunt who avoids gluten and feels great although her tests have been negative. I was given a blood test about 7 years ago, when I first started college and was having a hard time adjusting and extremely stressed (I had extreme diarrhea almost every day). That test was negative.

Since that time, the daily diarrhea has subsided, although I do have extreme bloating and really, really foul gas. The problem is, I am vegetarian, so I can't tell if this is from gluten or just from all the beans and veggies I eat? I have noticed that when I eat a lot of bread, I get a lot of phlem in my throat (I know that is kind of gross and random, but could it be a symptom?), and on holidays or when I don't make an effort to eat healthy and end up eating a lot of pasta, bagels and cookies I seem to get loose stools or diarrhea. I seem to tolerate dairy alright, although in the past I think it gave me terrible cramps, thinking back now could it have been gluten...? Anyway, I try to limit my dairy consumption these days as I'm not convinced of the health benefits and figure I'm better off without the hormones...

I guess to sum it up, I could say that I can go for a few months at a time feeling just fine (aside from the nasty bloating and gas), and then I'll have a week or two where I am having some miserable BM's.

Would anyone recommend I do a "gluten challenge"? I've been meaning to, on recommendation of my parents (my mom is *convinced* I have a gluten intolerance!). What's keeping me from doing it is that I'm really afraid of what I might find out. And besides that, wouldn't it be so hard for me to be gluten-free and vegetarian? Should I compromise my beliefs for a week or two and see what happens? One of the main reasons I'm vegetarian is for health reasons. It almost seems like a catch-22 -- I feel like I could be compromising my health either way (veggie and eating gluten / gluten-free and eating meat).

I would really appreciate any thoughtful feedback or support. Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eriella Explorer

You can be a gluten-free vegetarian easily! Rice and beans, peanut butter, rice noodle spaghetti, macaroni and cheese (with rice noodles), Thai food, cereal, quesadillas, burritos, shish kebabs, baked potatoes, salads, omelets... and the list goes on and on. A vegan would be very hard, but veggie is doable.

Teacher1958 Apprentice

Truthfully, and this is going to sound strange coming from a vegetarian of thirty years, I almost wish that I could at least eat fish right now. I am gluten free and plan to stay that way. As you are probably aware, for the first six months on the gluten free diet, we are supposed to eliminate dairy products to give ourselves time to heal. We can add the dairy back in gradually to see what happens. I was always able to eat yogurt, cheese, and ice cream without a problem, but I just want to be safe for now. Anyhow, I am digressing. Basically, there's not a whole lot I can eat. Except for the occasional egg which I force myself to eat, I am a vegan. I have tried to convince myself to eat fish or chicken until October when I can add back the dairy, but I just can't do it. If you are able to do it, I would go for it. The celiac diet is limiting, and having an extra food group from which to choose is probably a good idea.

AndreaB Contributor

My family was vegan for 3 years before finding out about celiac/gluten intolerance. Before that we were lacto-ovo.....very little lacto though.

I would highly encourage at least a lacto-ovo diet. If you are vegan it's going to be hard to get the nutrients you need. Eggs are highly nutritious.

My family is back to eating meat and we feel much better. I think it all depends on the person. No diet is a diet for all people. You need to listen to your body and pay attention to what it needs.

ItchyMeredith Contributor

I have been a vegetarian for 16 years and gluten free for 14 days. I can only speak from personal experience and the experience of the vegetarians I have known. From what I understand (and what I have found to be true) a vegetarian diet with beans and veggies shouldn

Kelleigh Newbie
Truthfully, and this is going to sound strange coming from a vegetarian of thirty years, I almost wish that I could at least eat fish right now. I am gluten free and plan to stay that way. As you are probably aware, for the first six months on the gluten free diet, we are supposed to eliminate dairy products to give ourselves time to heal. We can add the dairy back in gradually to see what happens. I was always able to eat yogurt, cheese, and ice cream without a problem, but I just want to be safe for now. Anyhow, I am digressing. Basically, there's not a whole lot I can eat. Except for the occasional egg which I force myself to eat, I am a vegan. I have tried to convince myself to eat fish or chicken until October when I can add back the dairy, but I just can't do it. If you are able to do it, I would go for it. The celiac diet is limiting, and having an extra food group from which to choose is probably a good idea.

Hi! I'm new to all of this - still waiting on the Enterolab test results, but have Hashimoto's Throiditis and my doc and I figure it's 'cuz of the gluten. I've been off the gluten for a week now and already feel much better. Anyhoo, I'm also a veggie - been one for 13 years now. I'm making myself eat fish (it's not easy as I'm a veggie for animal reason as much as health) and eggs, but I didn't know we were supposed to give up the dairy for a while too. Can you tell me more about that? Of course the test may come back with a dairy issue too, to which I'd cry - I can deal with the gluten, but not so sure about the cheese! ;-) I've also, strangely, been craving chicken too - haven't done that in at least 12 years and I don't want to give into that one! My body's way of telling me I need more protein? Also been hungry lately in the middle of the night - waking up at 3am. Is that just my body adjusting to the lack of carbs? (I ate ALOT before all this...).

Thanks for any help and it's nice to "meet" everyone!

:) Kelly

Archived