This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Hot Dog Buns

JennyC

JennyC Enthusiast

I have bought the Kinnikinnick buns and I have made my own. Both of them would not hold up to a hot dog. They were crumbly and they broke. :angry: I did use the home made one a few days after I made them and they had been refrigerated. Does anyone know a good brand to buy or recipe to use to get a good hot dog bun? Does it exist? :blink:

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have not had any luck with those ones I have bought. I believe Guhlia made her own and had some success. Maybe she will share the recipe.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Hello! I just ate my first gluten-free hot dog bun last night and it wasn't bad....made by EnerG foods. The texture was pretty close to the real thing (just a bit more dense) and it held together great! I had the tapioca buns. They make a brown high fiber bun too. Open Original Shared Link B)

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hello! I just ate my first gluten-free hot dog bun last night and it wasn't bad....made by EnerG foods. The texture was pretty close to the real thing (just a bit more dense) and it held together great! I had the tapioca buns. They make a brown high fiber bun too. Open Original Shared Link B)

I totally agree!!! I LOVE the EnerG Hotdog buns! I order them from amazon (so it is 30 bucks or so, but I get 8 packs of 4 at a time). They are GREAT for hotdogs, sub sandwiches, and garlic bread. I am very pleased with these!!

Karen B. Explorer

The last time, I used a Fast & Fresh burger bun that I make up fresh. Their mixes come with a plastic mold and you mix up one bun at a time and microwave it, then toast it.

Since then, I've tried their pizza crust and and I think next time, I'm going to try wrapping a dog in the burger bun dough made in the pizza crust mold (it's a square about 5x5).

If the link doesn't work, go to Amazon and search on "Fast and Fresh"

Open Original Shared Link

LLatham Apprentice
I have bought the Kinnikinnick buns and I have made my own. Both of them would not hold up to a hot dog. They were crumbly and they broke. :angry: I did use the home made one a few days after I made them and they had been refrigerated. Does anyone know a good brand to buy or recipe to use to get a good hot dog bun? Does it exist? :blink:

Thanks!

The best tasting "bun" I've found is Whole Foods Sandwich bread toasted and wrapped around - it tastes exactly like those regular hot dog rolls they used to make that were shaped like slices of bread.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i had a thought. i've been craving hot dogs lately (don't ask me why...) and i was thinking of how to eat one, since gluten-free buns I've tried weren't all that great. I saw a recipe in a cooking mag (i think it was rachel ray) for pigs in a blanket, and different variations. i figured a good ol' PIB w/ some ketchup and mustard would do the trick :D Now I just gotta find a good dough recipe, and buy some dogs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rbh Apprentice
i had a thought. i've been craving hot dogs lately (don't ask me why...) and i was thinking of how to eat one, since gluten-free buns I've tried weren't all that great. I saw a recipe in a cooking mag (i think it was rachel ray) for pigs in a blanket, and different variations. i figured a good ol' PIB w/ some ketchup and mustard would do the trick :D Now I just gotta find a good dough recipe, and buy some dogs.

I used a Chebe bread mix (I forget which one) to make pig in the blankets, and they came out really well. I cut the hot dogs into small pieces, like the appetizer size -- if you left it whole, you could probably turn it into a "bagel dog".

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks!

I use the Kinnikinick hamburger with no problems. Are you microwaving them before you either eat or toast them? We need to do that with most of our breads.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

The absolute best hot dog and hamburger bun recipe I have tried is from the book "Easy Gluten Free Baking" (Open Original Shared Link) by Elizabeth Barbone. They are soft, not crumbly and hold up very well. We use them for hot dogs, hamburgers and sub sandwiches. They are even good a few days later without freezing. The sandwich bread recipe in this book also can't be beat.

brendygirl Community Regular

I also microwave my Kinnickinnick. I used to put em in the oven, but too crumbly.

I defrost them first in microwave, then heat for 20 seconds or so. They're great and easy to heat!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks!

I bought the Kinnikinnick ones for Ty last summer. He ate a couple and then wouldn't eat them anymore. I couldn't blame him. I never tried to eat one, I couldn't get past the stench! Those things smell TERRIBLE!

Colleen, do you think you could PM me the recipe from your link? Thanks!

Mtndog Collaborator

I just have to say- i went into this thread looking for a gluten-free hot dog bun...but I have to say I LOVE all the avatars on this thread!

I usually use the Whole Foods gluten-free hamburger buns for both hamburgers and hot dogs. I like them well enough (they do have lactose which I'm not supposed to have either but I figure- it's not the same as eating ice cream!)

JennyC Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. I think that I'll try the Ener-G brand or make them fresh that day. :)

Karen B. Explorer
I used a Chebe bread mix (I forget which one) to make pig in the blankets, and they came out really well. I cut the hot dogs into small pieces, like the appetizer size -- if you left it whole, you could probably turn it into a "bagel dog".

I know Chebe makes a great burger bun but for some reason, I hadn't thought about it for a hot dog bun. Do you use the red package (original) or the yellow package (all purpose)?

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
Neal77 Newbie

I know this is an old post and I was just wondering if anyone has found a good bun that is light and good tasting like the gluten buns are? I know there has been a lot of improvements in gluten free stuff over the past few years so hopefully someone has come up with one since this was posted.

Tina B Apprentice

I know this is an old post and I was just wondering if anyone has found a good bun that is light and good tasting like the gluten buns are? I know there has been a lot of improvements in gluten free stuff over the past few years so hopefully someone has come up with one since this was posted.

I just slice them lengthwise and lay them on Udi's bread.

Archived