Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

melmak5

Just Diagnosed & Work In A Bakery

I am new and a bit in shock, but trying my best to do what is best for my body.

That said, I do work in a bakery one day a week. I know that bakers notoriously have bad teeth (from wheat flour/sugar sticking to their teeth/gums via breathing in said raw ingredients) but I am wondering if people have similar problems being around wheat flour.

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi!

I know that some people are fine being around flour and other people can't stand it. There is no problem touching flour, so there is no need to quit; however, a lot of people do get sick by breathing in flour. What you can do is wear a simple mask and powderless gloves when you are mixing dough, and then if you are decorating or packaging just wear gloves.

Good luck!

WARNING: GROSS

The problem with inhaling gluten is that it gets in the mucous in the nose and the mucous in the nose drains down the back of the throat into the stomach. So if you're breathing it in, you're ingesting it. working in a bakery, would mean you'd be ingesting quite a bit. not to mention what you bring into the house via your clothes.

From ENTNET.org (the American Academy of Otolaryngology)

The glands in your nose and throat continually produce mucus (one to two quarts a day). It moistens and cleans the nasal membranes, humidifies air, traps and clears inhaled foreign matter, and fights infection. Although mucus normally is swallowed unconsciously, the feeling that it is accumulating in the throat or dripping from the back of your nose is called post-nasal drip.

I saw a study recently about inhaled gluten causing problem. :( Sorry to tell you that. :(

I agree with both of you, with all the flour in the air, it is unavoidable that you will ingest some, get a new job!

Thank you all.

This board has been such a wealth of information since my doctor said "you have celiac, don't eat gluten" and sent me on my way.

I appreciate all of this information.

I can tell you for me, the raw form of gluten effects me the most. Heck, even when I am ultra careful making cookies for my children's school functions I can get sick! Be very careful and welcome to this board!

Monica

I went to school to be a baker. And had to quit. I was miserable, it was like having horrible allergies all the time. Having to deal with constant glutening was no fun, either.

I am now pursuing starting a gluten-free bakery in the New Orleans metro area.

Thank you all.

I am in the process of trying to find a new job... but sadly I need to keep this one for the time being for financial reasons.

It is kinda breaking my heart, cause I love the work and the people, but they are being as accommodating as possible to help be limit my exposure.

I am sure this will pass, it just hard to accept that something I love so dearly is making me so ill.

Thank you all.

I am in the process of trying to find a new job... but sadly I need to keep this one for the time being for financial reasons.

It is kinda breaking my heart, cause I love the work and the people, but they are being as accommodating as possible to help be limit my exposure.

I am sure this will pass, it just hard to accept that something I love so dearly is making me so ill.

Until you can quit, can you wear a mask? Like a surgcial type mask, that will limit your intake of gluten? :huh:

Unfortunately I also need to help customers... so in the morning before we open I can, but unless I can work on my Darth Vader, no dice.

Would it be totally crazy to split a cotton ball and shove it up my nose?

Unfortunately I also need to help customers... so in the morning before we open I can, but unless I can work on my Darth Vader, no dice.

Would it be totally crazy to split a cotton ball and shove it up my nose?

It wouldn't be crazy but I can't see how it would help. You'll draw in flour dust when you breathe through your mouth.

You definitely need to find another job. This post reminds me of someone who was on here who was diagnosed and married to a wheat farmer! OY!

Just out of curiosity: You name piqued my interest. I am a HUGE Alf fan. I have Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD and waiting for more. I loved watching him back in the 80's and now I have my kids hooked on him. He of course was from the planet Melmak. Is that the reason for your name?

Karen

Just out of curiosity: You name piqued my interest. I am a HUGE Alf fan. I have Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD and waiting for more. I loved watching him back in the 80's and now I have my kids hooked on him. He of course was from the planet Melmak. Is that the reason for your name?

Karen

:lol::lol: When I saw the name I too immediately thought of Alf......love that guy!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I love Alf!

Plus, he burps with such pride and gusto, and since all I have done for the past three months is burp, loudly and often, it seemed fitting.

And I told my job I need to leave. I am sure there are going to be more tears, but I know in the long run it will be good.

I love Alf!

Plus, he burps with such pride and gusto, and since all I have done for the past three months is burp, loudly and often, it seemed fitting.

And I told my job I need to leave. I am sure there are going to be more tears, but I know in the long run it will be good.

Unless you can convince them to turn into a gluten-free bakery ;) , it REALLY is the best decision for your health. Good luck!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.  
    How is one tested for Celiac Disease? I have had several endoscopes and the lower part too and none of the doctors have said anything about it. I have BIG issues with bloating, severe pain in my upper chest (under the chest bone), at times...