Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karen B.

Folic Acid And Vitamin B-12

Since this topic has come up several times recently, when I saw this article, I thought it might be good info.

---------------------------------

Folic Acid and Vitamin B-12

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Great article Karen. I copied it to add to my file for my doctor's appointment in a few weeks. (the same one that didn't know what was wrong with me <_< )

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

That is a great article! My family doctor would find this interesting. I think I should start taking more B12.

Jessica

Negative for Celiac

Confirmed Wheat Allergy May 5, 2007

Gluten-Free since May 7, 2007!

Other allergies: Dust Mites, Bananas, Fish, Shellfish, Chocolate, Feathers, Penicillin, 3 kinds of grasses, 4 kinds of trees & shrubs, 3 kinds of mold, & Cockroaches!

That is good to know since I am soon needing more Vits, I am forgettfull some of the time or if you ask my husband all the time.

donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

Since Folic Acid and B vitamins nearly did me in (prior to the Celiac diagnosis) I thought this would be good info. The hardest thing for me to realize when I was diagnosed was how I could be deficient in these nutrients when I took supplements but if you can't absorb them, it does no good. Thankfully, it didn't take me long to heal up after I went gluten-free.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

Thanks for the article, very timely for me. Regular blood panels show everything is okay, but I did a spectracell ananysis a couple weeks ago. The doc called with the results yesterday, "No wonder you feel bad" I am unable to metabolize B-12, C, E, and selenium. I begin injections today. I hope this works because the pain and the mental deterioration is both scary and exhausting.