Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewGFMom

Gluten Free Skin Care?

Hi there,

I've seen a lot of requests & questions for and about gluten free skin care products, lotions and shampoos, etc. I read on this website that it is not absorbed through the skin, ie if a child plays with homemade playdough, he should be fine as long as he washes his hands really well before he eats.

Are some people having a regular allergy reaction in addition to the celiac? Or do all celiacs get sick when shampoo or soap contains gluten.

thanks in advance,

Margaret (Mom to a nearly 4-year-old celiac)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten is not absorbed through the skin. However...

When a child touches something containing gluten, they may very well put their hand or fingers in their mouth without thoroughly washing them first.

Shampoos and other hair care products can get onto the face and be unintentionally ingested through the mouth.

Soap could be a special issue, since if you are trying to wash gluten off your skin, well, using a soap with gluten in it just sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

I handle products that contain gluten frequently in the course of my work. I always wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. I am cognizant of the risk factors, and well aware of what will happen to me if I ingest gluten. A child will not be nearly so aware, and will not be likely to connect the reaction to the cause.

Just my thoughts.

Gluten in body/hair products can also irritate those who suffer from DH. Often times, there are small lesions that can be inflamed by gluten (for those who are especially sensitive). I have definitely seen a difference in my skin/scalp since I started using gluten-free products ;)

I have had small cuts on my hand, or elsewhere that would become very strange looking - I went to the doctor, and he mentioned that I was allergic to what I was putting on - "the gluten in the lotion was causing an allergic reaction to my skin/tissues, and not letting it heal" - after I stopped using gluten lotions/soaps/shampoos and my cuts, or boo-boo heal so much better!

Hi there,

I've seen a lot of requests & questions for and about gluten free skin care products, lotions and shampoos, etc. I read on this website that it is not absorbed through the skin, ie if a child plays with homemade playdough, he should be fine as long as he washes his hands really well before he eats.

Are some people having a regular allergy reaction in addition to the celiac? Or do all celiacs get sick when shampoo or soap contains gluten.

thanks in advance,

Margaret (Mom to a nearly 4-year-old celiac)

Dear Margaret,

They say that you can not get glutinized thru the skin, but think about it, if you put make up on your face, where does it go? It gets absorbed into the skin. My biggest worry is lipstick.. That goes in your MOUTH!!!

Any way, for a good but a little expensive gluten-free skin care you can call Kathy at NuSkin, 757-206-7140 her email is mackeyk@bigplanet.com she will send you a book and a list of all their gluten-free products. I ordered a lipstick for my daughter for a "Formal Party" and one for myself because I liked the color so much. She was great. I had it inside of a week! and the color didn't wear off with the first sip of my hot tea. Good luck.

PS IF YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH HER PLEASE MENTION MY NAME: Lynn

Good luck

Lynn

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Having a topical reaction to wheat is an allergic reaction, not a Celiac reaction. If you have DH, the skin version of Celiac, you would have to ingest gluten to cause the skin eruption. But Kareng is correct.....these two items are so hig...
    This particular flare was due to mast cell activation syndrome and SIBO. Celiac symptoms vary by individual, so don’t measure your experience with anyone else’s. You are not well and you feel it.    The bone broth I use is Kettle and Fi...
    After reading all this, my symptoms are not even 10% of what you went through and im glad you figured it out. I tried home made bone broth for few weeks but didnt notice much difference. How are these collagen supplement? Do i need to take...