Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmyTopolski

Lunch Ideas For 2 Toddlers

Hi,

my daughter'a are 2 & 3 and have recently been giving me some trouble about food. I am at my wits ends. My 2 year old is only 23 lbs and I would hate to see her loose any weight. They can't have any lactose, eggs or food coloring which makes things harder. They use to eat lunch meat with fresh fruits and veggies and lactose free cheese. They still will eat the cheese but no longer want lunch meat. One will eat hotdogs, but to eat them all the time is not healthy. We tried ricecakes and peanut butter but only the peanut butter gets eaten. Any help would be a blessing! Thank you in advance!

Amy E Topolski

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Some chicken & rice soups are gluten free (Kroger, Safeway and Progresso). You could make a quesadilla with lactose free cheese and left over chicken. Spaghetti with gluten free noodles if they can have them. You could also make them tacos with their favorite meat. Have you considered giving them half or a quarter of a Lactaid occasionally? At 30 lbs my son's pediatrician said that he could have half a lactaid. They have chewable tablets and I did not see any ingredients in it that your daughters cannot have. I give them to my son and he does great...no tummy aches. :) My son likes the large Ener-G crackers with cream cheese or you could use peanut butter. Some times I also make nachos for lunch. I have a hard time with lunch too...I hope this helps.

Please check the things I suggest for the lactose,eggs and food colorings as I am not checking bags just thinking of ideas for you :)

Tinkyada makes some cute "kid" pasta that comes in shapes. You could do the shapes pasta with some tomato sauce or a "fake" cheese sauce.

Hot dogs cut into octopusses (cut the hot dog on one end to make the tentacles and leave the other end for the "head" add some ketchup eyes and enjoy)

Peaches and pears can be made into fun edible animals with a few props...add some raisins for eyes or get creative and think of your own things to add :)

Hormel has some chicken breast that is good. It comes in their naturals line. It is sliced fajita style and would make great finger food. Says gluten-free right on the box!

What about apples with peanut butter on them. You said the kiddoes will eat the pb but leave the rice cake.......try it with apples and they can "dip" the apple into the pb. I have a great peanut butter apple dip recipe. I'll have to look it up ( I served it to my preschool class and they LOVED it!)

Bean burritoes are good. Corn tortilla, can of re-fried beans heat and eat!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Here is the pb dip recipe:) It is SOOOOO good and terribly addicting! Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Fruit Dip

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups skim milk

1/2 cup light sour cream

1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix

1 cup JIF

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately they won't eat hotdogs or lunch meat any more. They don't like soup, tacos, quesadillas, or gluten free noodles. We also are on a tight budget so we don't buy anything that is prepackaged gluten free. Only naturally gluten free products. I will definately be tring the peanut butter and apples, but we won't be able to try the peanut butter dip. I can't use the pudding because of food color or the sour cream due to the lactose. But it sound wonderful! They might just go for that and it will give them that more full feeling. Thanks for all the help!

Amy

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

I've had a swollen gland in my neck similar to what you described.  I found that taking thiamine helps immensely.   Here's an article that you might find helpful..... http://wandererandhome.weebly.com/heal-yourself/vitamin-b1-th...
    Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...
    I disagree with this statement.   Mental conditions are not "already there" in people with Celiac Disease.  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause changes in ...