Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MaryJones2

Washington Dc

I visited Washington DC this week and wanted to share a few places to eat. We visited several Smithsonian museums while we were there. I was surprised to see the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum labeled quite a few of their dishes gluten free, vegetarian, etc. It is a cafeteria so I can't say that there isn't an issue of cross contamination but I was please to see the gluten-free label on so many things. They also sell pre-made salads with vegetables (no cheese or croutons) in the case. The cafeteria at the National Gallery of Art also has a salad station that uses a clean bowl and utensils to mix each salad but again, I can't vouch that there isn't the possibility of cross contamination there. They did not label their dressings as gluten-free so I opted to use my own. I packed a lunch several days and didn't have any problems sitting and eating with everyone.

The highlight was our meal at Austin Grill (www.austingrill.com). I printed a copy of the gluten free menu from their website and discussed my needs with the server. He discussed it with the manager and explained in detail how they would prepare my food (clean surface, clean plan, etc.) and even came back while they were preparing it to clarify that it was OK to use olive oil. I was very impressed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Austin Grill is one of my favorites.

For other in DC for the tourist thing, there is a Legal Seafood across from the Verizon Center (one block north of the Muesum of American Art, two blocks north of the Spy Museum).

Yes, the American Indian Museum restaurant is great. I eat there whenever I go to the Smithsonian, even if I'm going to another museum.

Another couple favorites of mine in the city are Jaleo's and Zantinya. Both seem aware of gluten issues. One is a tapas place and the other does mezze. Both are close to the National Portrait Gallery, the Spy Museum, Verizon Center, and the Shakespeare theatre, among some other things no doubt.

I belong to the DCCeliac Yahoo group. Restaurants are regularly discussed. I don't recall anyone mentioning a reaction due to cross-contamination at any of the restaurants so far discussed (except I can't remember anyone talking about the National Gallery of Art -- my beef with them is that the salad bar is incredibly expensive ... and they charged my credit card twice).

Here is an article about gluten free in DC and some folks' comments in response. Might be something interesting in there:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appe...dventuring.html

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Having a topical reaction to wheat is an allergic reaction, not a Celiac reaction. If you have DH, the skin version of Celiac, you would have to ingest gluten to cause the skin eruption. But Kareng is correct.....these two items are so hig...
    This particular flare was due to mast cell activation syndrome and SIBO. Celiac symptoms vary by individual, so don’t measure your experience with anyone else’s. You are not well and you feel it.    The bone broth I use is Kettle and Fi...
    After reading all this, my symptoms are not even 10% of what you went through and im glad you figured it out. I tried home made bone broth for few weeks but didnt notice much difference. How are these collagen supplement? Do i need to take...