Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Babygirl6915

First Glutening Episode!

Ok, so this is my first serious accidental glutening & I am feeling horrible! Boyf & I had a quick dinner last night (we both get home really late @ night so usually we have seperate dinners) from a place we always eat @ & apparently something got into the sauce that should not have been there! About

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ok, so this is my first serious accidental glutening & I am feeling horrible! Boyf & I had a quick dinner last night (we both get home really late @ night so usually we have seperate dinners) from a place we always eat @ & apparently something got into the sauce that should not have been there! About

Getting glutened stinks!!! :angry:

I know some people take charcoal pills (Glutenease?) to help speed it along, but I have never tried it. For me, it's one of those things that has to run its course. It usually takes me anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days depending on how much gluten I've consumed. I recommend drinking lots of water and simple foods for a couple of days (plain rice, baked potato, plain chicken breast...no roughage). I hope you feel better soon! :)

From your sig (and from your mention of having "hives" among your symptoms), it sounds like you might have a true wheat allergy mixed into your Celiac symptoms. If so, that's IgE mediated, and A FEW of your unpleasant symptoms might be relieved by taking an oral antihistamine like Benadryl every 4-6 hours (as long as you can have Benadryl). If the Benadry doesn't bring any relef, you might not want to continue taking it. But it might help with some of the symptoms that have to do with a histamine release (internal as well as external).

Unfortunately, I don't have any great tips on how to calm down the Celiac aspects of your reaction, but I hope you get some good advice.

My son has Celiac and also has an IgE-mediated peanut allergy, so we have dealt with both (just not together). If you have IgE type food allergies, you might consider looking up the symptoms of anaphylaxis and carrying an Epi-Pen (Rx) and in case you ever have a really bad reaction that swells your airways or drops your blood pressure. The epinephrine is the only drug that can stop an anaphylactic reaction.

Jessica-

I don't know of anything to make the symptoms go away any faster, but I try to think of having the symptoms as a "positive" thing. Some celiacs don't experience any symptoms when they eat gluten bu accident. I feel like if I were one of those people, I might keep making the same mistake and end up doing damage. You can at least be greatful that your body is trying to give you a message not to do it again. :)

Hope you feel better!

Julie

From your sig (and from your mention of having "hives" among your symptoms), it sounds like you might have a true wheat allergy mixed into your Celiac symptoms. If so, that's IgE mediated, and A FEW of your unpleasant symptoms might be relieved by taking an oral antihistamine like Benadryl every 4-6 hours (as long as you can have Benadryl). If the Benadry doesn't bring any relef, you might not want to continue taking it. But it might help with some of the symptoms that have to do with a histamine release (internal as well as external).

Unfortunately, I don't have any great tips on how to calm down the Celiac aspects of your reaction, but I hope you get some good advice.

My son has Celiac and also has an IgE-mediated peanut allergy, so we have dealt with both (just not together). If you have IgE type food allergies, you might consider looking up the symptoms of anaphylaxis and carrying an Epi-Pen (Rx) and in case you ever have a really bad reaction that swells your airways or drops your blood pressure. The epinephrine is the only drug that can stop an anaphylactic reaction.

I do indeed have Wheat Allergies! And I actually do not have "confirmed" celiac but whatever. I will try the benadryl today & see if it helps. I normally take it if I accidentally eat one of my other food allergies & yes I do have an Epi-Pen as I have had an anaphylaxis reaction before. Just really hate to think about using b/c I never have before! *knock on wood*

Thanks for all the input & support ya'll!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The biopsy would need to come from your small intestine. That's where the damage is done from celiac. But you need to be on a gluten diet for the tests to be accurate. How long have you been on the PPIs? My hubby had severe acid reflux issues ...
    The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.