This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Normal Food Suggestions

Suffering in Ohio

Suffering in Ohio Newbie

I have searched his website and many others for a list of "normal" gluten free food. What ice cream can I eat, cereal, hamburger helper, popcorn, potatoe chips, etc? I keep buying these gluten substitutes that are really expensive such as last night we had a gluten free beef stroganoff mix that I could only get a few bites down. It was disgusting! I don't want to have to cook all of my food or feel like I have to eat special food all of the time. I just want a few "normal" suggestions.

If this has already been a topic, you could just send me to a link and that would be just as helpful.

Also, totally unrelated...

I am a newly diagnosed celiac. Does anyone else have a sensitivity about it being a "disease"? When I have to tell people why I am not eating the same foods as them, I just say that I have a gluten allergy and that seems to go over well. When I say that I have celiac disease it requires a great deal of explanation and just makes me feel like I am diseased. I avoid the word at all costs. Anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melmak5 Contributor

Hi and welcome.

I am brand new to this too, just diagnosed three weeks ago. I am not quite in the place to be able to eat "normal" foods yet... brown rice and steamed veg are my world, but I am sure others will weigh in on this.

I am kinda struggling with language as well. Even close friends who I have explained things to in graphic detail still don't "get" it. A friend actually said "please don't eat anything just to be polite" when I stopped by her house. My eyes bugged out of my head and I said "trust me I WON'T, unless you want me laying on your living room floor."

People seem to think that I have a choice to eat gluten or not. At least for me it doesn't feel that way at all, cause it causes such debilitating pain, for me.

My latest bit has been:

"I have celiac disease, it means that if I eat gluten my body attacks my small intestine and I get sick, really sick."

It is not great, cause it usually leads to more questions.

The "1/48th of a slice of bread is enough to make me sick" sometimes helps when people ask why I won't touch/share things.

I was desperately trying to explain it to my little sister and she just couldn't understand. She has diabetes, so I said "imagine if every crumb around the house was actually sugar, lots of sugar, and its in the toaster, butter dish, lip balm, stamp glue... and that your blood sugars were running high and making you sick all the time."

Its not the "same" cause she can take insulin and normalize in some sense, but she understands the long term affects of high blood sugar, keytones, etc.

So I guess with my really long ramble I am trying to say that trying to equate it with something in that person's life has worked best for me. But I don't really know the best way to get it through to the masses.

Good thread!

Eriella Explorer

For normal food- always read the label-- but most ice creams are okay UNLESS the mix-ins contain gluten (no cookie dough, cookies and cream...). Tostitos and Fritos are okay, as is the frito bean dip. Snickers and 3 Musketeers bars are okay too. As far as entrees-- the easiest thing to do is stick to whole foods, which are easier to cook and healthier (despite what companies tell you). I promise you that you can cook everything from scratch in less than 20 minutes. Make a pot of rice (boil in bags are fine, seasoned rice is not),potatoes or rice pasta with olive oil and cheese, steam veggies on top of it for the last 10 min. While you are doing that, throw chicken, pork, or beef with McCormick seasonings on the grill or George Forman. You can also make stir fries by throwing the meat in a bag with LaChoy soy sauce, honey, and sesame seeds (let it sit for an hour if you can, if not, it is fine as is) and then pan cooking it with onions, carrots, peppers, and snow peas. For more complex meals, it takes longer, but you can have a lot of variety and heal faster on whole foods for awhile. Plus, I agree with you, gluten-free replacement foods are overpriced and normally not worth it to me.

As far as the "disease" problem, what I use is saying: "I can't eat (food) because it contains gluten, the protein found in wheat. If I eat it, I have a really bad reaction, similar to those who have peanut allergies, except for mine is like having the stomach flu for 2 weeks and it can cause me cancer, MS, and a whole bunch of nastiness down the road."

Good luck!

mftnchn Explorer

Sometimes I say I have celiac, and its a lot like having a very severe allergy. If they want to know more, I explain that gluten is like a poison and causes destruction of the small intestine, and effects other parts of the body. Some of my friends are quite interested, but most people understand "severe allergy" so I just use that to explain.

I can't help with the foods as I am not in a place were I can get safe gluten-free foods. Try searching the forum for the foods you want, and hopefully some others will pop on with their lists of favorites.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Well the good news is, there are a lot of mainstream products that are gluten free, the bad news is, unfortunately having celiac does mean extra effort. When I was first diagnosed that was one of the hardest things for me to grasp. I hated that eating now took effort, but with time that fades. Now I no longer feel like that. It just takes some getting used to.

And as far as coping with the fact that it's a disease, well if that makes you uncomfortable when telling people, then simply stick with saying it's a gluten intolerance.

I never ate Hamburger Helper before, so it's not something I looked for when diagnosed. I know Gluten Free Pantry makes some "Hamburger Helper" type meals, but no idea how they are.

Most ice creams should be safe, with the obvious exceptions of anything with cookie, brownie, etc in it. As for brands, I tend to stick with Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dazs; partly because those have always been my favorites. There is a blueberry ice cream I get at Trader Joe's that I love. I forget the name of the brand, but it has a rainbow on the carton.

Some mainstream cereals that are gluten free: Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Disney Little Einstein Fruity Stars, Dora the Explorer Cinnamon Stars... I know there are others but can't think of them right now. For just a plain cereal, I like Nature's Path Honey'd Cornflakes. You can find these in just about any supermarket.

For popcorn and chips, these are things that are also pretty easy. I'm not that into all the flavored chips and stuff some other people can probably be more helpful but here is a link to Frito Lays Gluten free list. You'll see there is tons on it.

Open Original Shared Link

Some of my staples for quick meals are:

- Chicken Taquitos from Trader Joes. Those with some Old El Paso refried beans and some shredded mexican cheese from Kraft... mmmmmmm!

- Soups: Wolfgang Puck has some that are gluten free. I particularly love the French Onion Soup. Different stores, carry different varities of his soup. For instance I can only find the French Onion at Whole Foods. Progresso - A lot of their soups are gluten free. Not sure if their is a list somewhere, but read ingredients and you should be ok. Heinz - Tomato Soup (it's not in the isle with all the other soups but rather in a section with products imported from England).

- Flash frozen Tilapia and Chicken that I buy at Sam's Club (Costco, etc).

I make myself tilapia with salt, pepper and garlic in a little margarine about once a week. Takes about 5 minutes to make. Chicken you can always take some bbq sauce (i like Sweet Baby Rays), throw it on the grill... easy meal.

- Premio sausage with some Tinkyada pasta. I've yet to run across a pasta sauce with gluten (but ofcourse read ingredients). Easy meal.

Let us know what other types of products you are looking for. You'll see, this is not as hard as you think.

MLynn Newbie
Well the good news is, there are a lot of mainstream products that are gluten free, the bad news is, unfortunately having celiac does mean extra effort. When I was first diagnosed that was one of the hardest things for me to grasp. I hated that eating now took effort, but with time that fades. Now I no longer feel like that. It just takes some getting used to.

And as far as coping with the fact that it's a disease, well if that makes you uncomfortable when telling people, then simply stick with saying it's a gluten intolerance.

I never ate Hamburger Helper before, so it's not something I looked for when diagnosed. I know Gluten Free Pantry makes some "Hamburger Helper" type meals, but no idea how they are.

Most ice creams should be safe, with the obvious exceptions of anything with cookie, brownie, etc in it. As for brands, I tend to stick with Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dazs; partly because those have always been my favorites. There is a blueberry ice cream I get at Trader Joe's that I love. I forget the name of the brand, but it has a rainbow on the carton.

Some mainstream cereals that are gluten free: Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Disney Little Einstein Fruity Stars, Dora the Explorer Cinnamon Stars... I know there are others but can't think of them right now. For just a plain cereal, I like Nature's Path Honey'd Cornflakes. You can find these in just about any supermarket.

For popcorn and chips, these are things that are also pretty easy. I'm not that into all the flavored chips and stuff some other people can probably be more helpful but here is a link to Frito Lays Gluten free list. You'll see there is tons on it.

- Chicken Taquitos from Trader Joes. Those with some Old El Paso refried beans and some shredded mexican cheese from Kraft... mmmmmmm!

- Soups: Wolfgang Puck has some that are gluten free. I particularly love the French Onion Soup. Different stores, carry different varities of his soup. For instance I can only find the French Onion at Whole Foods. Progresso - A lot of their soups are gluten free. Not sure if their is a list somewhere, but read ingredients and you should be ok. Heinz - Tomato Soup (it's not in the isle with all the other soups but rather in a section with products imported from England).

I make myself tilapia with salt, pepper and garlic in a little margarine about once a week. Takes about 5 minutes to make. Chicken you can always take some bbq sauce (i like Sweet Baby Rays), throw it on the grill... easy meal.

- Premio sausage with some Tinkyada pasta. I've yet to run across a pasta sauce with gluten (but ofcourse read ingredients). Easy meal.

Let us know what other types of products you are looking for. You'll see, this is not as hard as you think.

MLynn Newbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MLynn Newbie

Thank you so, so much for your suggestions! I have become so depressed with the meal choices that I felt limited to. I eat rice, salads, and fish and chicken everyday, and to be really honest with you....I'm tired of it.

I was diagnosed about 5 months ago, and I guess I just don't try hard enough. I sometimes feel like "Oh well, I'll feel sick and then when it passes, I'll feel better." I know that this is so unhealthy for me, but haven't found the will power to stick to the rules of my health.

Might be hard to believe, but this has been actually harder to overcome, and adjust to than quitting smoking for me. No joke.

My fiance is the most wonderful man. He supports me and urges me to follow the gluten free diet. I know that it must frustrate him that I cheat, but I can't seem to get my mind programed the right way! He took me to Trader Joe's for the first time the day after I was diagnosed. I actually had a breakdown IN THE STORE! The humiliation was unbearable.

I am continually trying to be a better patient, it isn't easy. I have tried gluten free bread.....no good. It fell apart in my hands and then I just got upset and threw the rest of the loaf away. I eat so much rice that I am starting to think that maybe I shouldn't be? I eat Jasmine, Basmatti, and boil in the bag white rice. I love rice, but everyday?

Sorry....I guess I'm just venting now. The tears are creaping up, so I'll sign off. :(

THank you again for the list of foods that I can add. Your suggestions will be so helpful to me.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Thank you so, so much for your suggestions! I have become so depressed with the meal choices that I felt limited to. I eat rice, salads, and fish and chicken everyday, and to be really honest with you....I'm tired of it.

I was diagnosed about 5 months ago, and I guess I just don't try hard enough. I sometimes feel like "Oh well, I'll feel sick and then when it passes, I'll feel better." I know that this is so unhealthy for me, but haven't found the will power to stick to the rules of my health.

Might be hard to believe, but this has been actually harder to overcome, and adjust to than quitting smoking for me. No joke.

My fiance is the most wonderful man. He supports me and urges me to follow the gluten free diet. I know that it must frustrate him that I cheat, but I can't seem to get my mind programed the right way! He took me to Trader Joe's for the first time the day after I was diagnosed. I actually had a breakdown IN THE STORE! The humiliation was unbearable.

I am continually trying to be a better patient, it isn't easy. I have tried gluten free bread.....no good. It fell apart in my hands and then I just got upset and threw the rest of the loaf away. I eat so much rice that I am starting to think that maybe I shouldn't be? I eat Jasmine, Basmatti, and boil in the bag white rice. I love rice, but everyday?

Sorry....I guess I'm just venting now. The tears are creaping up, so I'll sign off. :(

THank you again for the list of foods that I can add. Your suggestions will be so helpful to me.

First things first. No more cheating! Eating gluten is no longer an option for you. You need to be 100% gluten free. You are only hurting yourself.

I know the feeling; I think we all do. Even now I'll go through times were I feel like I'm always eating the same thing (and I eat a ridiculous amount of rice also); but stick to the diet and the more comfortable you get with it, you'll see that there are a lot more things you can have than you initially think.

If you are willing to spend a little extra time in the kitchen, that 's where you'll find you'll really start to feel normal again. The other day I made gluten free lasagna; only thing I had to change in the recipe was using Tinkyada lasagna noodles. I make stuffed shells (again with Tinkyada jumbo shells). I made a great maple stir fry chicken the other night. I make risotto. The list goes on and on.

My suggestion for bread is to try the breads by Anna. For her regular breads they come out best with a bread machine (which I swear is WAY easier to use than you think). And her pumpkin and banana breads can be made in the oven. They don't crumble and are delicious. I love making grilled cheese with them.

Hang in there. It will get easier.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I agree with Jillian, you HAVE to be 100% gluten free. You can NOT be cheating the way that you are or you won't get better.....PERIOD!

Part of the reason you are so emotional is that you are still on gluten. Gluten does some very nasty things to our bodies. Messes with our moods, appetites, health and the list goes on. You will be amazed at how you feel once you stop the cheating and go at this 100%!!

While you are working on the healing process, try to just eat plain foods. That means don't jump right into the processed "meal in a box" type of food. Cook fresh meats and veggies.

Keep a food journal. Write down what you eat, how much of it, and how you feel. Make sure to include your vitamins, meds, personal care items, toothpaste etc. EVERYTHING that passes through your lips or that goes on them (lipstick). That will help you to pin-point any "slip ups" you may have and easily eliminate the food that causes the problem.

There are SOO many things that you can still eat. I know it is terribly overwhelming at the beginning. You are mourning the loss of a lifestyle that you lived for quite a while. The sadness and madness is totally normal!! Work through it, cry if you need to, scream if you need to. It will pass.

Hang in there!! It gets SO much easier. This is a great place for support and information. Keep posting and asking questions.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

melmak5 Contributor

I broke down crying in both Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and on the bus going to work.

I am not a crier, I have cried more in the past month than in the past 5 years.

Whole Foods has Gluten Free vanilla cherry crumb-top muffins.

They are expensive, but damn if the sugar rush isn't incredible!

This whole process has made me a lot more forgiving and accepting of others and their issues, especially emotional and bowel related.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

"Normal" is a matter of perspective. After 29 years eating gluten free is normal. There were very few substitutions for gluten products 29 year ago. The ones that were available were not worth eating. I did not try to recreate gluten meals. I ended up creating meals that were not in the "Standard American Diet".

Today, there are many receipes on this site and at other sites. Put "Gluten Free Receipe" in a search engine and you will find a lot of receipes.

Being gluten free will become easier over time.

VioletBlue Contributor
I have searched his website and many others for a list of "normal" gluten free food. What ice cream can I eat, cereal, hamburger helper, popcorn, potatoe chips, etc?

The safest ice cream I've found is Hagan Daaz vanilla or chocolate. The chocolate had a total of either five or six ingedients, no preservatives or flavor enhancers. Ruffles potato chicps have potatoes oil and salt with zero trans fat. Fritos have ground corn corn oil and salt. I look for the shortest simplest ingredient list I can find.

confusedks Enthusiast

MLynn,

I just wanted to say that I completely understand. I was "gluten lite" for a while and then I had so many health problems, I had to go completely gluten FREE! There is a definite mourning process. I still do get frustrated (I have been gluten-free for only about 2 1/2 months) but it is really a much healthier lifestyle. I have embraced this and have taken it as an opportunity to be healthier and care more about my body. I guess I just wanted to say hang in there! Also, you really need to go completely gluten free because I know when I get glutened (on accident) I get reallllly emotional. ;)

Kassandra

kbtoyssni Contributor

There's plenty of normal food out there! I rarely buy gluten free substitutes.

Kraft brand will label gluten so you can feel pretty safe buying that. Frito-Lays are mostly gluten-free - try tostitoes, most doritoes, (some do have wheat labeled), lays stax, cheetos.

Candy's great, things like dove chocolate, 3 musketeers, M&Ms, Andes, etc

Kemps Ice Cream and sherbet is ok (except the obvious flavours like cookie dough!)

For quick, boxed meals, try Thai Kitchen - they will label gluten or check if you have boxes Indian food - that's usually gluten-free.

Actually most generic brand stuff is alright, too, but you do have to call on it.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi & welcome all Newbies

This is a great site for all celiac info,but you must make the time to do research.... there are many excellent recipes right here to start with.... another site I love is Clan Thompson which you can join for free. They list alot of products mainstream that are gluten-free.

For my family of four gluten-free persons (young&old)! here is a list of some of our favorite things:

Nature path honey'd corn flakes

Joan's gluten-free great bakes (Bagels& eng. Muffins) the very best you will find.

Everybody Eats (crusty rolls & baguettes)

celiac specialities ( donuts & much more)

Pizzas by george

glutino pretzels ( better then wheat ones)

Anna's bread mix

Made by Mona ( pancake mix & sunny bread mix)

Delimex beef taquitos

Trader Joe's waffles, chicken taquitos

Progresso soup: chicken vegetable, chicken rice, french onion,& creamy mushroom

Amy's tomato bisque soup & I recently found I like her reg gluten-free tomato soup better than Heinz UK one.

Whole foods white sandwich bread makes an awesome grilled sandwich, raisin bread is good too. The cream buscuits are good if you need them in a pinch.. I do not care for their pies . Pizza crust are ok.

Gillian's bread crumbs,plain, italian or cajun are great. Iuse tehm for meat loaf, meatballs .....

kininckkinnick K-Toos are wonderful....

Dee Dee's Pizzelle's

Bio Aglut pasta taste just like the real deal... if they don't have a shape I need I usually use tinkyada

Bell& Evans has ready made chicken nuggets & strips. I keep them on hand when I don't have time to make my own.

Dinty Moore beef stew but not the chicken stew

Swanson chicken broth

Wild caught salmon

Icelantic haddock or cod fish flash frozen.

Redbridge beer

Breyers ice cream without add ins.....

Kraft products will clearly be labeled.....

Philly Cream Cheese

Rotisserre chicken from Sam's or Costco

Contadina tomato paste or sauce

In Ohio I'm not sure where you live but there is The Mustard Seed, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco's , Sam's, The Raisin Rack Health Store , Kathy's Creations in Alliance, Oh that sells to local resturants & she also has a bakery.

The Columus Children's Hospital will be holding their conference at the end of Oct07 or the first Sat. in Nov 07. This is their anniversary year. Its cost about $30.00 per person but a nice amount of vendors show up so you can buy their & save on shipping!!!!

I also agree with everyone else -- please get off gluten totally, that is the first step. It takes awhile to get into the idea as it seems over -whelming at first to say the least but if you take it slowly it will fall into place quickly for you....I suggest find a few foods you like & start out with them then add a few more at a time that way it will not be such an undertaking & keep adding from there.

A great Cookbook is Annalise Roberts Book which you can order from any bookstore if they do not stock it. I do also use Mike Eberhart's cookbook from Cleveland but his does take alot of different flours.. Good recipes in both books.

I aslo use Betty Hageman four bean flour alot....

good luck

mamaw

Karen B. Explorer

This is a list of normal, reasonably priced food you can get at any grocery store. I've found it very helpful and they do update it.

Hormel Listing of Gluten Free Products Listing of Gluten Free Products

Always read labels to determine if a product meets your needs. Our products are labeled in compliance with government regulations and we are providing this list as a general guideline for products which do not contain gluten in the form of wheat, rye, oats and barley. Parents and individuals with food allergies and/or food intolerance are responsible for reading the label of all products they intend to use regardless of how the product is represented on this site. If you have any questions, please call our Customer Service Representatives at 1-800-523-4635. Always read labels to determine if a product meets your needs. Our products are labeled in compliance with government regulations and we are providing this list as a general guideline for products which do not contain gluten in the form of wheat, rye, oats and barley. Parents and individuals with food allergies and/or food intolerance are responsible for reading the label of all products they intend to use regardless of how the product is represented on this site. If you have any questions, please call our Customer Service Representatives at 1-800-523-4635.

Guest j_mommy

Mrs. Leepers Corn spegetti noodles are AWESOME! I think they are better than the gluten variety!!! Spegetti is a cheap meal that even tastes good reheated!!!!

I use Bob's redmill pancake mix...add alittle extra milk to make thinner pancakes. Then I heat up a sausage, add cheese and make a sandwich. Dip it in syrup! Ofcourse not everyday as i'm sure it's LOADED with calories!LOL

Taco's...I make a dip of it and eat it with tostitos!

Guest j_mommy

Also...

I was in the same boat as far as bread....I'd buy a loaf, hate it and throw it out! Waste of moola. Should have made bread crumbs out of it!(hind sight is 20/20!LOL)

Try: www.sillyyakbakery.com

They ship and their bread is GREAT! THey have a garlic chedder bread that I use to make Garlic bread!

PeggyV Apprentice

I eat a lot of corn tortillias. Melt cheese put a slice of ham...quick breakfast. Just read the labels, you will find plenty you can buy. Tortilla chips and popcorn are great snacks. Costco has started carrying gluten free tomato basil soup and thai noodles in bulk. Both are great. I cook fresh veggies with my noodles. I I am going out and dont have a choice of a gluten-free resturant, I pick mexican food, I have had better luck of not being cross contaminated at mexican food places.

I have been gluten-free less then a year, it does get easier. Hang in there, you can do it.

meganbauer15 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum too and am so glad to have found it. I've learned so much from this site and am grateful for everyone's suggestions. I don't know if anyone posted this already but this website has some really good gluten free recipes. I've tried several and they all turned out great.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Philly Cream Cheese

Rotisserre chicken from Sam's or Costco

Contadina tomato paste or sauce

mamaw

So everyone knows, I had a severe reaction to Sam's rotisserie chicken two weeks ago. I wouldn't trust it, no way do they clean those things good enough. I defnitely got glutened from it. Makes me very sad, that was good stuff....

Karen B. Explorer
So everyone knows, I had a severe reaction to Sam's rotisserie chicken two weeks ago. I wouldn't trust it, no way do they clean those things good enough. I defnitely got glutened from it. Makes me very sad, that was good stuff....

Sam's rotisserie chicken in my area lists wheat on the label. It's probably in the seasoning rub.

And yes, I remember it did taste good in my pre-diagnosis days.

cmom Contributor

Sam's rotisserie chicken does contain wheat in the dry rub they use. However, Wal-Mart rotisserie chicken does not list it. You would think they'd be the same, but guess not. <_<

melrobsings Contributor

I have found in restaurants with waiters/waitresses that don't give a crap about their job and think we are all head cases I just say "I have a SEVERE allergy to Gluten and it's not just an allergy it's also a disease" then they sometimes take pity on you. i hate to pull that route but I found it sometimes works. Also I have learned if you don't have a good feeling on the "i don't think they get my allergy" WALK OUT AND DON'T EAT THERE!

Archived