• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

pasdefarine

Positive Bloodwork, Normal Biopsy, Family History

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

So here is what's been going on with me:

I've been sick for over six months now- D, constipation, bloating, severe intestinal cramping, etc.

I had the blood work panel done back in April, everything came up positive for Celiac. My uncle is Celiac. I also had the Prometheus genome test done, and I do have the genome type for Celiac disease. However, I just had an upper endoscopy/biopsy done and the results were normal.

I had been on a gluten-free diet (and generally feeling much better) from April until the middle of June. I was back on a diet containing gluten for about 3.5 weeks before my endoscopy.

What should I do????

I know that pretty much every other post on this board is similar to this, but I'm just really frustrated.

Thanks for any input/advice you might have to offer.

EP

Guest j_mommy

I would definetly stay on the diet, especially if you're feeling better. There is always a chance for False negatives in biopsies b/c sometimes they don't take enough samples!!!

Blood work is all you need. Biopsies are the gold standard but if you are responding well to teh diet and the Blood work was + I'd keep at it!

Good luck to you!

EP

With a positive blood panel for Celiac - You do have Celiac. And endoscopy and biopsy's can be hit and miss as Jess said.

Positive blood work can rule Celiac in, negative blood work cannot rule Celiac out, as in the same for a biopsy. (Make sense?)

In addition to a strong family connection, you are diagnosed.

Stay on the diet and be as careful as you can. It may take some time to feel better. Healing can be a slow process. Make sure to check your cosmetics, shampoos and learn to read labels...it gets easier.

I am sure that you will feel better soon.

There are others who can post more about the products, also check that section of the forum for lots and lots of info. I seemed to get another stage better when I switched products.

Just wanted to welcome you to the board!