Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SunnyDyRain

Iron Od Possiblity?

So I have been having problems with taking any vitamins, they make my stomach hurt, not GI problems, but a sharp pain in my stomach.

So I've been scavaging vitamins from people in my life (reading labels to see if they are gluten-free), to see if i could find one... I FOUND ONE! However, it's a Prenatal vitamin. I was under the impression that non pregant women can take pre natals, they are super vitamins. But now i'm not too sure... mostly i'm worried about the 333% of daily suggested intake of iron. Granted, that's if you take all 4 vitamins a day... I usally get about 2 in. I don't think I need iron, I eat plenty of meat. I also heard too much iron is toxic. So now I'm worried... If I continue to take these vitamin that are ok on my stomach, will I OD on iron? Could I finish off the bottle and just restart my search for a non iron vitamin. Am I worring too much about iron?

Also are there any other concerns that I should be aware of when taking prenatals... like increased fertility? (YIKES!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Also are there any other concerns that I should be aware of when taking prenatals... like increased fertility? (YIKES!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A far worse possible outcome than too much iron.

I don't think your body will absorb more iron than you need. It will just give you constipation and nasty black poop.

There is a genetic disorder that allows some peoples bodies to store too much iron, but it's unlikely that you'll have any difficulties.

I'd be more worried about the fat soluble vitamins like A and E

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A far worse possible outcome than too much iron.

I don't think your body will absorb more iron than you need. It will just give you constipation and nasty black poop.

There is a genetic disorder that allows some peoples bodies to store too much iron, but it's unlikely that you'll have any difficulties.

I'd be more worried about the fat soluble vitamins like A and E

Now I read a website, that says too much iron can cause cancer, autoimmune activity that can laead to gluten in tolerance and all that. It scared me quite a bit into thinking that Iron was really bad for me. http://www.autismhelpforyou.com/Prenatal%20Vitamins.htm

I will have to check then to see how much A and E they have...

Well, that website makes a lot of claims but doesn't back any of them up. It also says (several times) that your body can only absorb 1mg per day. So if your body self-limits its iron uptake, how can you possibly get enough to become toxic?

It also tells you that there is mercury in flu shots and I'm pretty sure (although not positive) that there is no mercury in any vaccines currently in use.

Sorry, I was wrong:

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound (an organomercurial). Since the 1930s, it has been widely used as a preservative in a number of biological and drug products, including many vaccines, to help prevent potentially life threatening contamination with harmful microbes. Over the past several years, because of an increasing awareness of the theoretical potential for neurotoxicity of even low levels of organomercurials and because of the increased number of thimerosal containing vaccines that had been added to the infant immunization schedule, concerns about the use of thimerosal in vaccines and other products have been raised. Indeed, because of these concerns, the Food and Drug Administration has worked with, and continues to work with, vaccine manufacturers to reduce or eliminate thimerosal from vaccines.

Thimerosal has been removed from or reduced to trace amounts in all vaccines routinely recommended for children 6 years of age and younger, with the exception of inactivated influenza vaccine (see Table 1). A preservative-free version of the inactivated influenza vaccine (contains trace amounts of thimerosal) is available in limited supply at this time for use in infants, children and pregnant women. Some vaccines such as Td, which is indicated for older children (≥ 7 years of age) and adults, are also now available in formulations that are free of thimerosal or contain only trace amounts. Vaccines with trace amounts of thimerosal contain 1 microgram or less of mercury per dose.

Too much iron can be very dangerous. It can build up in the liver and in other organs. That said If you are still having your period and are not taking any other iron containing supplements these should not hurt you at the level you are taking them. If you are only taking 2 of the 4 that are required that is just a bit above the 150% mark for the FDA requirement. Do make sure you are calling the maker though and checking to be sure they are gluten-free. If you want to continue with them and you tolerate them then just take them for 6 months or so and then have your doctor check your iron levels. We should have those, B12 and folate and glucose (sugar) checked routinely anyway.

My hematologist told me you definitely can take in too much iron. I had iron IV's and he checked my blood every day after one IV treatment to make sure I didn't get too much iron.

Kassandra

Too much iron can be very dangerous. It can build up in the liver and in other organs. That said If you are still having your period and are not taking any other iron containing supplements these should not hurt you at the level you are taking them. If you are only taking 2 of the 4 that are required that is just a bit above the 150% mark for the FDA requirement. Do make sure you are calling the maker though and checking to be sure they are gluten-free. If you want to continue with them and you tolerate them then just take them for 6 months or so and then have your doctor check your iron levels. We should have those, B12 and folate and glucose (sugar) checked routinely anyway.

Well I still get my period, just only a few times a year, and at that, it's light and I loose very little blood anymore. I used to have painful periods now I stack my Nuva rings so I get very few periods. They are Wegmans brand, and they are marked clearly as "Contains NO sugar, starch, artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, corn yeast, wheat, grain, gluten, egg or milk products." I was very happy to see that!

I will shortly loosing my health insurance for 3 months until I get it at my new job, so after that I will go back to my doc and get all the vitamin tests.

I checked and it has 100% DV of A and 200% of E, but I am only getting two of these in me a day as I need to eat with them, and I only eat 2 meals a day.

Should i be worried about the 400% (200% for me..) of B6?

I also noted that these values are reccomended guidlines for pregnant and lacating women... OY. Now I need to find out what normal people have.. or better yet... what is reccomended for celiacs!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana