Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rjne2nd

New Diagnosis

I have been recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. The area I live in is not a regional medical center area so frankly I doubt I am getting the best info of the disease. My diagnosis is somewhat vague to, as the biopsy's where positive for celiac or some autoimmune disease and the genetic blood test was vague as well with a small % of people with my bld profile who have celiac sprue! All this to say that making this life long diet change for something "could be" my problem is hard getting my head and heart around! This all started 17 years ago when I was having severe D and weight loss! At the time they also found a Parasite so it was easy for me to steer away from a life long diet concerning disease. Now I am 47 and in terrific pain 24-7... mystery illness that looks like Rheumatoid, Sjogerins fibromyalgia. My tendon muscles and joints really give me fits from time to time. I have been doing my best to stay gluten free for the last week. I have accidentally consumed gluten and it give me stomach cramps and bloating beyond belief! The question I have is.. does your body go thru detox after coming off gluten for the first time! I feel like I have been hit and dragged by a truck and yet "better" too! Does that make sense? Also..I have gained so much weight over the last 17 years.. I learned to cope with the D and just knew where all the bathrooms are in my area! I would constantly be hungry and craved CarbS constantly... Since being gluten free the fat on my body seems to be gradually melting.. I am not kidding!

Just looking for some advice and understanding out there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, you can go through withdrawal. I felt that my whole body was adjusting for several weeks. The weight loss is not uncommon either, I have seen other posts here about that.

Welcome to the board, hang in there and keep reading here and you will find lots of help and support for this adjustment.

Guest Wheatless In Woolley
I have been recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. The area I live in is not a regional medical center area so frankly I doubt I am getting the best info of the disease. My diagnosis is somewhat vague to, as the biopsy's where positive for celiac or some autoimmune disease and the genetic blood test was vague as well with a small % of people with my bld profile who have celiac sprue! All this to say that making this life long diet change for something "could be" my problem is hard getting my head and heart around! This all started 17 years ago when I was having severe D and weight loss! At the time they also found a Parasite so it was easy for me to steer away from a life long diet concerning disease. Now I am 47 and in terrific pain 24-7... mystery illness that looks like Rheumatoid, Sjogerins fibromyalgia. My tendon muscles and joints really give me fits from time to time. I have been doing my best to stay gluten free for the last week. I have accidentally consumed gluten and it give me stomach cramps and bloating beyond belief! The question I have is.. does your body go thru detox after coming off gluten for the first time! I feel like I have been hit and dragged by a truck and yet "better" too! Does that make sense? Also..I have gained so much weight over the last 17 years.. I learned to cope with the D and just knew where all the bathrooms are in my area! I would constantly be hungry and craved CarbS constantly... Since being gluten free the fat on my body seems to be gradually melting.. I am not kidding!

Just looking for some advice and understanding out there!

Hello,

You have all the symptoms of Celiac. I suffered from joint & muscle pain, weight gain, fibromyalgia, cramps, bloating, diarrhea, had to have my thyroid removed. This is how I lived everyday till I totally quit ingesting gluten & wheat and finally was diagnosed correctly. It changed my life and made me a much better person, healthier & happier. I lost the extra weight, the pain went away, I sleep etc. You need to stay totally off. You have to make a decision what is more important. Is food more important? Is the pain? Read every label and go to the Gluten Free food section and print a list of everything and stay away from it give it time and you will feel better every week. I have been gluten & wheat free for about 5 years now. Every once in awhile I will accidently get a little by a contaminated knife, butter, toaster, plate, pan and the list goes on. It helps to have to have your own cabinet with your own food your own butter, and everything you share with someone. If you live alone it should be much easier. It is hard but worth reading and studying and reading everything you can about it. You will feel better as you stay gluten & wheat free. You can't cheat or you will suffer. My mother has it too and she will not go gluten & wheat free. She is so crippled, bloated, has Rheumatoid severe and 2 types of Lupus, high blood pressure, diabetes and she is the most stubborn person I have ever known. She thinks I don't know what I am talking about. She can't even get off the couch and walk around or shop or anything. That is what I will look and feel like if I don't take care of myself. I hope you will stick to it and let your body heal and feel better.

Okay- im a little late to reply to this but my body went into such withdrawal and detox that i was diagnosed w lupus! i was also critically deficient in vitamin D so that added to my symptoms. as i continued the glutenfree diet and starting taking vitamin D my symptoms went away.

I have been gluten free for seven months. with no cheating! it takes sooo much patience and discipline but it is so worth it. i totally agree w printing out the safe and forbidden list.

-Ali :)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The biopsy would need to come from your small intestine. That's where the damage is done from celiac. But you need to be on a gluten diet for the tests to be accurate. How long have you been on the PPIs? My hubby had severe acid reflux issues ...
    The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.