This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

I was excited to find this with the granola bars. I saw almond crunch and peanut crunch. I did check the General Mills website and didn't see them on there. A nice short list of ingredients: almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sugar, corn syrup and salt. I bought the almond ones. I do wish they had no peanuts.

• 2 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfreegirlie Rookie

I was excited to find this with the granola bars. I saw almond crunch and peanut crunch. I did check the General Mills website and didn't see them on there. A nice short list of ingredients: almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sugar, corn syrup and salt. I bought the almond ones. I do wish they had no peanuts.

Thank you!

I bought a box of the Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey bars figuring I could just call the company when I got home to see if the Oats were safe, because this perticular flavor doesn't have the malt in it but the girl on the phone would only tell me that there were oats in it (which I knew) and that oats contain gluten (which I know I incorrect). I decided not to risk it even though she was being very vague. I was dissappointed though. I hate not being able to grab a quick snack from the store. Thank's aagain. I will go pick those up :)

heatherjane Contributor

Keep in mind that the original post is 3 yrs old and things may have changed since then.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Roasted Nut Crunch (peanut and almond) are still both gluten free and have updated packaging to indicate so.

BamaGal Newbie

Does the package say gluten free right on the box? I have looked for these several times and haven't been able to find them. Please give me a description of the box. I would also like to be able to have a quick snack at times!

Skylark Collaborator

I love these bars. The packaging changed recently and there is a big, blue "gluten free" label right on the front of the box! Here's a blog with a photo of the new boxes.

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

They must be changing over and some sofa the older ones are still out there. Target had the Almond but the peanut ones didn't say gluten-free yet. So excited! I really liked the peanut ones. They weren't as cheap as regular granola type bars.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

They must be changing over and some sofa the older ones are still out there. Target had the Almond but the peanut ones didn't say gluten-free yet. So excited! I really liked the peanut ones. They weren't as cheap as regular granola type bars.

I've been buying the gluten free Almond Crunch bars at Wal-Mart...pack of 6 for $2.68, which I think is pretty cheap compared to the price of one Kind bar I picked up at Giant Foods yesterday for $1.69 (my daughter pays $1.89 for a Kind bar at her local Whole Foods). I was in Wal-Mart today and forgot to check if they had the newer Peanut Crunch bars.

Here's the official General Mills website that tells which foods are gluten free. It's updated regularly. Open Original Shared Link

StacyA Enthusiast

Last month, May 2010, I found a box of Almond Nut Crunch that said 'Gluten Free' right on the box - I was suprised. I ate them in the past because none of the ingredients contained gluten, but I think I had a cc reaction so I stopped buying them. I wonder if they are now on dedicated lines - because just adding the words 'Gluten Free' shouldn't account for the dramatic increase in cost - they're about a BUCK AND A HALF more in price than a few months ago. I bought a box but haven't had the nerve yet to try one.

sa1937 Community Regular

Last month, May 2010, I found a box of Almond Nut Crunch that said 'Gluten Free' right on the box - I was suprised. I ate them in the past because none of the ingredients contained gluten, but I think I had a cc reaction so I stopped buying them. I wonder if they are now on dedicated lines - because just adding the words 'Gluten Free' shouldn't account for the dramatic increase in cost - they're about a BUCK AND A HALF more in price than a few months ago. I bought a box but haven't had the nerve yet to try one.

My box of Almond Crunch doesn't say anything about being made in a gluten free facility or being made on dedicated lines.

Just curious...how much did they cost before they added "Gluten Free" to the box? I thought $2.68 was pretty cheap for a box of 6 compared to a lot of our other gluten free foods. huh.gif

BamaGal Newbie

Thanks for the link to the picture of the box. I can't wait to try it. It would be so nice to be able to have a "regular" snack sometime! Plus, I don't think that $2.68 is that bad compared to the price of some gluten free stuff. jmho though.

buffettbride Enthusiast

WalMart is definitely the cheapest place to get them. I've seen them as $3.99 at my regular Kroger grocery store. $2.68 is a bargain, speaking relatively to other gluten-free foods!

StacyA Enthusiast

Just curious...how much did they cost before they added "Gluten Free" to the box? I thought $2.68 was pretty cheap for a box of 6 compared to a lot of our other gluten free foods. huh.gif

All I know is that it was the same price as the other flavors until just recently.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Thank you!

I bought a box of the Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey bars figuring I could just call the company when I got home to see if the Oats were safe, because this perticular flavor doesn't have the malt in it but the girl on the phone would only tell me that there were oats in it (which I knew) and that oats contain gluten (which I know I incorrect). I decided not to risk it even though she was being very vague. I was dissappointed though. I hate not being able to grab a quick snack from the store. Thank's aagain. I will go pick those up :)

Unless something with oats says it is made with "Certified Gluten Free Oats" you should avoid it. Oats are only safe if they are certified gluten free and gluten-free oats are way more expensive than regular oats. If a company was using them I'm sure they would be plastering that fact all over their packaging. Stick to the nut bars, Lara bars, and fruit bars or specialty gluten-free bars for your grab and go snacks.

glutenfr3309 Rookie

while at the grocery store yesterday i bought nature valley's nut clusters. it doesn't have a gluten-free label on the front (like the bars will?) but from what i can tell the ingredients are ok. there are whole grain oats though...i know this is a big debate. i don't eat oats regularly and don't plan on eating these everyday either.

here's the list of ingredients:

roasted almonds, whole grain rolled oats, sugar, rice flour, canola oil, soy protein concentrate, tapioca syrup, honey, salt, fructose, baking soda, rice maltodextrin.

*contains almond, soy; may contain peanut, pecan and cashew ingredients.

safe? not safe?

i haven't opened the package yet...thought i'd make sure before i go gluten myself accidentally.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

If the oats are not specified as "Certified Gluten Free Oats" then they are NOT safe. They are cross contaminated and should not be eaten.

Skylark Collaborator

To elaborate a little, oats are often crop rotated with wheat. A few wheat plants will grow in the oat fields and since the plants and grains are so similar, wheat grains end up mixed in with most commercial oats. Gluten-free oats are grown in fields where wheat is never planted.

• 2 weeks later...
BetterNow Newbie

To elaborate a little, oats are often crop rotated with wheat. A few wheat plants will grow in the oat fields and since the plants and grains are so similar, wheat grains end up mixed in with most commercial oats. Gluten-free oats are grown in fields where wheat is never planted.

Very true. Also it is my understanding that oats and wheat are harvested on the exact same farm equipment, so cc occurs during that process. The harvesting equipment is very expensive so most farms are financially unable to spend many thousands of $$$ for equipment dedicated only to harvest oats.

Any other information or thoughts out there on this??

Archived