Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stokey107

Doctor's Opinion

I have never used this forum before but I was wondering of I could get a doctor's opinion on whether my case sounds like celiac. I will be as short as possible. And Thanks for your advice ;)

For about three months I was having all your classic symptoms of gastrointeritus (I may have mispelled it.) I did blood work, stool samples, and nothing. By the end of the three months, I was missing about 1 day of week of work. I eventually starting keeping a food log but I saw no conncestions for any food alergy. MY GI finally suspected celiac. He did do an endoscopy but I never went back for the follow up to see about the biopsy results. I was gluten-free for about 2 years.

On a side note, my husband starting having the same symptoms for about two months. We finallly narrowed it down to a new type of bread he had both been eating. I was eating this also before I was gluten-free.

I recently have starting eating gluten again (about 2 weeks) and have absolutley none of the symptoms I had before. I haven't so much as had a stomach cramp. Does this sound like celiac or maybe IBS?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm not a doctor, this is just an idea. Might be time to check the endoscopy results. According to my understanding, if it does show celiac, your body is sustaining damage when you eat gluten whether or not you show symptoms.

Otherwise, it is possible that you have had an allergy to gluten, and having stayed away from it you can now tolerate to some degree. My guess is it this is the case, eventually the symptoms may return.

Food allergies mask symptoms when you are eating the items more often than every 4 or more days. So a food log may not show these. If you don't eat the item for 5-10 days, then do a food challenge, you see a more clear response. Did you go through that kind of testing before?

Might be time to check the endoscopy results. According to my understanding, if it does show celiac, your body is sustaining damage when you eat gluten whether or not you show symptoms.

Otherwise, it is possible that you have had an allergy to gluten, and having stayed away from it you can now tolerate to some degree. My guess is it this is the case, eventually the symptoms may return.

Food allergies mask symptoms when you are eating the items more often than every 4 or more days. So a food log may not show these. If you don't eat the item for 5-10 days, then do a food challenge, you see a more clear response. Did you go through that kind of testing before?

No, I simply logged what I ate for 3 weeks and kept track of any symptoms.

No, I simply logged what I ate for 3 weeks and kept track of any symptoms.

My son did this too and man O man he has paid big time he was fatigued terrably like he was as a child and the stomach cramp D stools all returned :(

So be careful u might be being masked at first so watch urself u could do severe damage in the end :huh:

U see my hubby just now the past 3 years has showed some more signs then he did when he first quit smoking :)

But he too like my son tired to go back to breads and learned the hard way and missed alot of work almost lost his 17 year job do to D :(

So if ur hubby is getting same as u did with the bread then throw it away and never return> they do have some good bread recipe's here on the site :)

Sometimes it takes longer to find the food's that r the culprites the GI doc. told hubby he had to do gluten full blown for 6 weeks to be sure the test showed a true post.

But hubby says "no way" am I making myslef that sick and now he is doing a Gene test in September

he knows he has it just his J O B requires it on paper :angry: (u can be gluten -free for this)

Since we have a Celiac Spure child there is a possability both parents carry the gene :(

I'm not sure if u have been told, but it is genetic and it runs more on the Irish side (not being sarcastic)

and he has it on his side of the family and so do I :(

Good luck be careful !

Belinda

Just for clarification, the majority of us on here are not doctors, or other medical professionals. And true medical opinions over the internet are not likely to happen, as there is no way to get a full picture (especially without discourse).

That's not to say that we don't have a lot of well educated opinions here, however - the folks on this board are very helpful! :)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Having a topical reaction to wheat is an allergic reaction, not a Celiac reaction. If you have DH, the skin version of Celiac, you would have to ingest gluten to cause the skin eruption. But Kareng is correct.....these two items are so hig...
    This particular flare was due to mast cell activation syndrome and SIBO. Celiac symptoms vary by individual, so don’t measure your experience with anyone else’s. You are not well and you feel it.    The bone broth I use is Kettle and Fi...
    After reading all this, my symptoms are not even 10% of what you went through and im glad you figured it out. I tried home made bone broth for few weeks but didnt notice much difference. How are these collagen supplement? Do i need to take...