Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radgirl

Glutened Or Something Else?

How do you tell the difference between being "glutened" and it being something else? I ask because I have an egg protein powder that I drink on a regular basis. I can find no gluten in the product whatsoever. The company is going to send me all the labels for all their products, but from the research I've done, I see no gluten in any of their products. I drank some last night after being fine all day and half way through the shake, my stomach started to blow up. Is there a possibly CC with whey, even though they say no milk proteins are in their egg protein and the line is washed down properly. Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest Doll
How do you tell the difference between being "glutened" and it being something else? I ask because I have an egg protein powder that I drink on a regular basis. I can find no gluten in the product whatsoever. The company is going to send me all the labels for all their products, but from the research I've done, I see no gluten in any of their products. I drank some last night after being fine all day and half way through the shake, my stomach started to blow up. Is there a possibly CC with whey, even though they say no milk proteins are in their egg protein and the line is washed down properly. Help!

It's hard to say. Some companies are not so great at ensuring that their sources are truly gluten-free. If you are really sensitive, you may be reacting to CC from residue in the lines. Also make sure this is not a delayed reaction to something you ate last night...etc. Did you have any other symptoms, or just bloating? If you have a lot of intestinal damage still, you may want to cut out eggs. People with IBS also often react to eggs as well.

I would avoid the shake for awhile (provided you have no other symptoms) and then reintroduce it later to see what happens. There must be Gluten-free Casein-free protein shakes...I know there is a goat's milk one...but I can't name it off the top of my head...

To answer your question, sometimes it's hard (i.e. when you have food poisoning). Usually most people react to gluten in the same way each time to a certain extent.

It's hard to say. Some companies are not so great at ensuring that their sources are truly gluten-free. If you are really sensitive, you may be reacting to CC from residue in the lines. Also make sure this is not a delayed reaction to something you ate last night...etc. Did you have any other symptoms, or just bloating? If you have a lot of intestinal damage still, you may want to cut out eggs. People with IBS also often react to eggs as well.

I would avoid the shake for awhile (provided you have no other symptoms) and then reintroduce it later to see what happens. There must be Gluten-free Casein-free protein shakes...I know there is a goat's milk one...but I can't name it off the top of my head...

To answer your question, sometimes it's hard (i.e. when you have food poisoning). Usually most people react to gluten in the same way each time to a certain extent.

Usually when I react to gluten, it is within minutes. That is why I don't believe it was from something I ate prior. My reaction time is really fast and quite noticeable.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

That's good to know. I have my MRI on a celiac disease as it was requested by an ENT consultant to take a look at but again this is someone who isn't looking in regards to gluten ataxia but I can mention it to them and also give it to...
    The boat feeling did resolve but I do still have some residual balance issues. However I had ataxia impact from the time I was a child until my 40's. Glad to hear you are seeing someone that will be looking specifically for the UBOs. My neuro...
    I had a brain MRI over a year ago which wasn't specifically looking for signs of gluten ataxia - it was more just for reassurance as I was right at the beginning of my balance problems. I have a further brain MRI planned in May and this...