This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Hellmann's Canola Mayo

darlindeb25

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I started using the Hellmann's Canola Mayo because of my soy intolerance. Friday I was at the grocery store and looking for my regular canola mayo. I always buy Hellmann's Canola and it looked different. Just when I find something good, they have to change it! The ingredients list has tripled in size and now contains soy. The old label says--HELLMANN'S CANOLA REAL MAYONNAISE--MADE WITH THE GOODNESS OF CANOLA OIL--the new label says: HELLMANN'S CANOLA--CHOLESTEROL FREE MAYONNAISE.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

It seems soy's the convenient thing to put in pretty much everything. <_<

If you don't mind spending the money Spectrum put's out a canola mayo. I really wanted to by the olive oil one but it has soy in it as well. I've pretty much gone to not using any mayo anymore.

jmengert Enthusiast

Yep, and the new stuff has soy. I was so very annoyed when I saw this. I bought lots of the old stuff to stock up, but I'm only left with two now. I guess it's back to Spectrum's canola mayo, which is more expensive and harder to find, of course.

Why must they mess with a good thing? The new stuff also has more ingredients, which seems less natural to me, too. Ugh!

jnclelland Contributor

Ad me to the P.O.'ed list! I emailed the company to ask what gives - isn't the whole point of a canola mayo to have something available for soy-allergic customers??? They just wrote back with the usual drivel about how the new formula tested well with their test subjects, and they're sorry that it no longer meets my needs. :angry:

I got a jar of the Spectrum canola mayo; it's okay, but I don't think it tastes as good as the old Hellman's. :(

Jeanne

wolfie Enthusiast

:( That really stinks!!!! I love the Hellman's Canola!

MIL just started buying it b/c it was soy free as well.

zkat Apprentice

OK, I didn't even know that Hellman's had a canola Mayo, but I am ticked off too. Just because I am cannot have soy and it is in EVERYTHING! AAAUUUUGGGGHHHH.

I have always told people I have more trouble avoiding soy than I do gluten.

Kat.

melmak5 Contributor

FYI - The reason many companies lists "May contain soy, cottonseed and/or canola oil" (you can often see it on potato chip bags) is because the companies buy in bulk and purchase whichever is cheaper at the date of purchase.

I am not saying that the change isn't "because of consumer-tested taste," but that it probably has a little bit to do with fry oil costs.

If you are sensitive, its a good thing to double check french fry oil too.

PS - If you are interested, making homemade may is super easy and 5x more tasty!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tia Newbie
I started using the Hellmann's Canola Mayo because of my soy intolerance. Friday I was at the grocery store and looking for my regular canola mayo. I always buy Hellmann's Canola and it looked different. Just when I find something good, they have to change it! The ingredients list has tripled in size and now contains soy. The old label says--HELLMANN'S CANOLA REAL MAYONNAISE--MADE WITH THE GOODNESS OF CANOLA OIL--the new label says: HELLMANN'S CANOLA--CHOLESTEROL FREE MAYONNAISE.

I don't know if it's only in Canada, but Hellmann's has come out with a new olive oil variety. It just has olive and canola oil for the oils.

Tia

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks, Tia--I haven't seen that here in the US, but maybe soon?....I'll keep an eye out for it.

Lizking531 Rookie

I dont know too much about mayo in general, but has anyone looked into Veganaisse or more noteably Grapeseed Oil Veganaisse?

My gluten-free buys the grapessed oil veganaisse & I've got to say, I like it

AndreaB Contributor
I dont know too much about mayo in general, but has anyone looked into Veganaisse or more noteably Grapeseed Oil Veganaisse?

My gluten-free buys the grapessed oil veganaisse & I've got to say, I like it

Vegenaise is good but I believe it has soy in it.

confused Community Regular

we still have the ones with no soy here at the store. I had read this post earlier this week and when i went shopping i seen that we had the stuff with no soy in it, i was so happy. I have not used it yet tho, but im wondering if i should go and buy some more before the new stuff hits here

paula

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I was so disappointed they added soy. Finally a product we could have, at the very same price as everyone else, and now they ruined it. I think we should all email them and call them.

mftnchn Explorer

Hi, mayo is really very easy to make yourself in a blender or food processor. It takes oil, vinegar or lemon juice or a combo, eggs, and you can add salt, sugar and mustard for flavor to taste. I do this with sunflower oil, apple cider vinegar, and then don't have to worry about anyone else adding stuff I don't want.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR POSTING THIS.

I HAD MISSED IT I GUESS.

I JUST GET SO MAD..................SOY'S IN EVERYTHING.

GOING DOWN TO CK MINE.

HUGS

J

Archived