Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dawnas

Help! Almond Meal As A Substitute For Dry Milk?

HELP! Can I use almond meal as a substitute for dry milk in a recipe? I am allergic to milk and had read somewhere that almond meal can be used in place of dry milk. I have never heard of this. Any ideas? I also thought about using almond breeze milk or ricedream milk as a sub and then decreasing the other liquid (like water) or increasing the flour if there are no other liquids. Does this sound right or make any sense?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

HELP! Can I use almond meal as a substitute for dry milk in a recipe? I am allergic to milk and had read somewhere that almond meal can be used in place of dry milk. I have never heard of this. Any ideas? I also thought about using almond breeze milk or ricedream milk as a sub and then decreasing the other liquid (like water) or increasing the flour if there are no other liquids. Does this sound right or make any sense?

Both the featherlight bread and pizza crust recipes I make regularly call out "dry milk or almond meal" as an ingredient. I normally use the almond meal, as it gives a great flavor.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

I use Vance's Dari Free as a substitution for dry milk. It comes as a powder that you mix with water.

http://www.vancesfoods.com/darifree.htm

The almond meal should work fine, I was just offering another option :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I am dairy sensitive and use almond meal in all my baked goods, especially if the recipe calls for powdered milk (in which case I use measure for measure). I believe it's the protein in powdered milk that is being introduced into the flour mix, and almond meal adds that.

I also use Almond Breeze in place of milk and don't find I need to adjust the amount of liquid. The only things I don't use it for that calls for milk are gravies and mashed potatoes, as the flavor is just not right - sort of tastes too sweet or something.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Hi Dawnas,

Did a quick check on the internet for something suitable and found these.

Potato milk based Substitute

Soy Milk based Substitute

Hope this is of some help !

Best Regards,

David

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.

Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests

Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.

Self Taught Baker.

Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.