This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Glutened Myself Over The Weekend.

snipe12

snipe12 Rookie

So peed with myself. I am very new to this whole gluten intolerance situation.

I have been gluten free for a couple of weeks now and the difference was amazing. My energy levels were so much better and my skin was looking pretty good as well. I can't believe there was such a difference in the space of a couple of weeks.

I had been having a good time all weekend, making sure to drink vodka rather than the usual beer and everything was going great. Saturday night I was going out with friends and I had a nice lamb steak with chips and veg. Big mistake. What I didn't realise was that the chips are chilled rather than frozen and now I realise they were coated in flour to stop them sticking together. Late Saturday night I started to fade a little but I assumed it was the large amounts of alcohol I had drunk.

This may sound really weird but since I cut out gluten I seem to have become much more sensitive to it. My skin is a mess, my energy levels are shocking, I had toilet issues the next day etc after just one portion of those EVIL chips.

Anyway I met this very nice girl and we are meant to be going out mid week and I just can't face it. Too embarrassed by the state of my skin for starters and secondly I just can't be bothered to do anything at the moment as I am very fatigued.

Sorry about the rant, I just had to get it off my chest and I was hoping others here might have had similar issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hello snipe,

it's ok, to rant once in a while. I remember when i started with this diet. Gosh, i was so grouchy :o , i think i was a pain in the but for my husband and everybody else around me. Although i'm feeling much better now, i still make mistakes from time to time as well. Nobody is perfect and if you want to have a perfect glutenfree diet, you only can watch what you eat and learn from your mistakes to improve your diet.

Are you sure, you didn't gluten yourself with the lamb steak? It could have been a marinade or a seasoning mix or so.

Hope that you're getting better in the future.

Lots of greetings, Stef

hthorvald Rookie

It happens from time to time. No matter how hard you try, something can slip by. On Friday, I decided to finish my husband's piece of flourless cake, not wanting a lot, just a taste. After the second bite, I noticed that there were a couple of odd tasting "lumps" and asked him if the cake had gone bad. It turned out that he didn't use a clean plate, just put it on the same one as his sandwich. I couldn't believe that eating just a crumb or two could make me as sick as it did for a couple of days. We were kicking ourselves for being complacent. But it happens. We just learned from it and will be more careful next time. Hang in there. I understand about your postponing your date. She will, too ;)

snipe12 Rookie

Thanks for your comments :)

I know it was not the lamb steak because I prepared it all myself but certainly one to think of for the future if I go out. I live above my dads restaurant so I popped down and cooked it for myself. My skin is just starting to heal and I feel much better today energy wise. I can't believe I thought the stuff on the chips was starch. I will certainly be more careful now. At this rate I will be turning paranoid!

Archived